Mac Programs...

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Penguin, Oct 12, 2008.

Oct 12, 2008

Mac Programs... by Penguin at 2:00 AM (1,578 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Penguin
    OP

Newcomer Penguin Advanced Member

Australia
    Is there anyway to get a Mac program to Windows format or make it work without having to get an illegal emulator (which I am not going to do)? Because there are so many great stuff that Apple and other developers make for Mac, and they leave Windows behind [​IMG]

2. DrKupo

Banned DrKupo Resistance: Fall of Gbatemp

United States
  3. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    Windows alternatives.

how is an emulator illegal, does apple let you dual boot windows and OSX on an apple machine but not windows and OSX on a windows machine? sounds like some one is greedy!

4. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

do a little research and you will find that for almost all of the applications that you are thinking of, there is a better (albeit, more expensive) alternative

A combination of Apple's greediness and the different boot methods of the two OS's (which could be stemmed from greediness as well). One needs to look no further then the fact that Apple released a firmware update for the ipod touch / iphone (which had no effect on the video out capabilities of the iphone) that disallows the usage of third party video cables to discover that Apple is greedy.

5. ZildjianKX

Member ZildjianKX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Wow, just wow...

Using EFI (designed to be a replacement to legacy BIOS) is greed? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Firmware_Interface

Apple never released firmware to disable third-party video cables, they released new hardware that no longer accepted non-licensed third party video cables, that's a huge difference. http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comm...-video-add-ons/

Please stop all the senseless hate.

6. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    [​IMG]

The original argument was that, in doing that, they are greedy. Since the licensee of the cables has to pay royalties, your point is moot, the people at Apple are greedy bastards. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's business.

7. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    Let's try a more factual answer rather than slamming the company.

The real answer here is that Apple's main business is with computers. Not just software and not just portable media devices. Sure, the operating system is pretty much what makes a Mac computer what it is outside of aesthetics but most people don't see it like that.

Calling it greed is as insane than calling Microsoft greedy for selling Windows. It's Microsoft's main consumer product just as the Mac computer is Apple's main consumer product.

8. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    I'd say its more because OSX is specifically tailored to the macs hardware, with most programs being able to take advantage of multiple cores. Macs are standardized and mass produced so have very little differences between them. This way customer support is almost always easy. The programs should also run better because they're specially coded to take full advantage of whats there.

Whereas on windows there arent even that many programs which are dual threaded let alone support multiple cores. Because there are so many different combinations of PC's available, windows and its programs have to be coded to be working on all of these. This leads to windows being inefficient and customer support being an absolute pain because there are so many things which are different in every specific case.

Greed has nothing to do with it.

9. ZildjianKX

Member ZildjianKX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    My point was that everything he said was incorrect, nothing more, nothing less. My point is still correct. [​IMG]

10. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    i'm too tired to understand what you're saying, but I still lol'd from the huge difference bit

11. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    I change my mind, YOU'RE greedy. [​IMG]

I wanna play phoenix right and Golden Sun at the same time.

did you ever solve your problem, senior topic starter?

vectors are fun.

12. notnarb

That wasn't what I was talking about, in the iphone / ipod touch 2.1 firmware update, 3rd party video cables which used fake authentication chips (proving that the chips weren't necessary) no longer worked with both devices, despite working in earlier firmwares, check the posts here

13. Zamo

Member Zamo GBAtemp Regular

South Africa
    Try wine, I think it is now available for mac, it allows you to run Windows apps on Linux and Mac. I'm not sure how well it works for mac, but on Ubuntu it runs brilliantly.

14. notnarb

He's looking for the other way around, running programs designed for OSX on a windows computer

15. Zamo

Member Zamo GBAtemp Regular

South Africa
    Oh, I read wrong [​IMG] sorry.

16. Penguin
    OP

Newcomer Penguin Advanced Member

Australia

Haha, don't worry [​IMG] I was born in the same place that you live in right now [​IMG] Go CapeTown!