Mac or PC ?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by codmaster, Feb 14, 2011.

Feb 14, 2011

Mac or PC ? by codmaster at 12:50 PM (1,808 Views / 0 Likes) 30 replies

1. codmaster
    OP

Member codmaster GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I Personally perfer Mac in terms of UI,But PC becuase well basiclly all programs are windows compatible
    so i am a PC,but really want a Mac

P.S:Sorry if someone already posted this,i searched it but found no results!

2. naved.islam14

Member naved.islam14 Gbatemp's Official Dark Knight™

Sri Lanka
    You could buy a Mac and then use wine (it runs widows programs on other OS's) and there is a program that makes windows like the Mac UI (I forget what its called, you can Google).

3. Pyrmon

Member Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Canada
    There was already a thread done about that.
    As for my opinion:
    Hardware:
    Mac is sleeker
    PCs can be quite ugly
    Software:
    Windows is compatible with a shit ton of software
    Mac looks and feels more user-friendly

4. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    I prefer my Personal Computer.

5. Legaia

Banned Legaia Banned

Brazil
    you shoud do like me and make a badass desktop pc and buy a macbook pro so you will have both

6. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    This thread is just inviting a fanboy war...

I prefer PC, cheaper and easily customisable, although it's only a matter of time before some variant of the tablet becomes the de facto computing device in the average home. Or if holo-technology really can hit off in the next 10 years (IIRC a working holo-3D demonstration will be displayed later this year), then maybe we'll just use mobile phones for all non-intensive computing tasks.

7. Legaia

Banned Legaia Banned

Brazil
    why this shoud be a fanboy war everybody know's apple is evil and steve jobs are member of illuminati

8. Originality

United Kingdom
    Because it has been statistically proven that you cannot mention "PC" and "Mac" together without someone saying "Macs suck" or "PCs are full of viruses". Similar events happen when you mention "Xbox" and "PS3", "Manchester" and "Chelsea", or "red" and "blue" (within the context of hats).

9. sweenish

Member sweenish GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    to just say that pc hardware can be ugly is certainly not telling the whole story.

10. Legaia

Banned Legaia Banned

Brazil
    You forgot about "Nintendo x Sony" too

11. Originality

United Kingdom
    Ninty's been in a league of its own since they released the Wii. It doesn't have the strength to compete directly with the 360 and PS3, but their motion controls and line of casual games draw in a much wider audience... that's the reason the Wii and the DS has been so successful. Plus the Wii is cheaper.

Anyway, that's all off topic.

12. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    Think about what you will it be using with? then think of what will give you satisfactory results. based on what others say about the PC or Macs performance.

13. Dimensional

Member Dimensional GBAtemp Fan

United States
    A Mac is a good computer, if you want to be severely limited to that hardware. If you want to play a game that requires newer hardware, then your out of luck. You'd have to pay through the nose to get just one small thing upgraded. A PC on the other hand is easily upgradable. Everything works together.

A Mac has excellent protection from viruses, but that's mainly because it's not that popular. And don't believe the commercials about it not crashing. I was able to crash 5 Mac laptops in a month just by using it normally. And the security for the OS sucks. My own high school had Mac laptops, and they set it up so that only certain programs were able to run, a white list so to speak. I found 3 different ways of bypassing that and running whatever I wanted on there.

A PC is more compatible with every program out there, as it is more popular, but that also means more viruses. But because of a PC, you are able to upgrade the hardware, unless it's a laptop, in which case you'll have a hard time doing that. The security on a PC depends on the software you have on there as well as how you use it. Don't log in as an administrator. Instead have a rarely used admin account that you know the password to, so that when you need to install something and it requires admin privileges, you just enter the password and you are elevated for the duration of the installation.

All in all, it depends on your preferences. But you still need good security for both. A firewall, virus scanner is a must no matter which you are using, malware scanner (spyware, adware, rootkits, etc), and you should never run as an admin unless absolutely necessary, like when installing programs.

Also, just to note, if you want the look and feel of a Mac without having to be restricted, just get a Linux system, like Ubuntu or Fedora. A mac is just a proprietary Unix system, while Linux is Open Source, and thereby the community updates it very quickly. You will need to know some basic functions and commands, as it is a little advanced, but then again a Mac would have the same things if you were wanting to install and run system utilities. And you can install it on a PC, beside Windows, through a dual-boot method.

14. ferdi-t

Member ferdi-t GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I side with the user Dimensional. If you cannot decide between Windows and Mac, you should definetely try out Ubuntu, as it offers the best of both worlds. I switched to Linux four years ago, and never wanted to go back since.

15. codmaster
    OP

Member codmaster GBAtemp Regular

United States

I am not starting a fanboy war,i just wanna see,what everyone thinks is a better OS,Windows or Mac

16. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    just get a hackintosh and run both or a mac and run both. there is no need to compromise or even debate which one is better.

17. Dimensional

Member Dimensional GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Only issue is that Wine doesn't perfectly emulate the Windows system. A DirectX intense program would have severe issues running. One prime example is Dream of Mirror Online. I tried playing that on Wine, and half the time I couldn't see the mouse, and other times it would freeze and then crash on me. Linux is a free alternative to Windows or Mac, but it can't do it all. Not even customizing Wine with things will make it run perfectly.

But, to each his own preference. Window programs will have trouble running on anything that isn't a Windows OS. Mac programs only run on Mac system. Linux programs can run on windows or Mac, with the proper emulator layer. There are a few. Depending on what you want, what you are looking for, and stuff, that determines which one is best. But don't leave Linux out of the competition. It is a good system that deserves some spot light.

18. Originality

United Kingdom
    That's actually a different question to the thread title. PC vs Mac is about hardware. Windows vs MacOS is about software.

The PC vs Mac debate can be summarised in two statements: "you'll never find an ugly mac" and "PCs are just the sum of its parts".

As for Windows vs MacOS... that's really down to needs and preference. Linux is a good alternative too, and just doesn't get enough attention from the market. To generalize that debate, Windows is old, built on an old architecture, and is in desperate need for a redesign from the bottom up, but it's the OS that "everybody" uses and knows how to use, so that's what "every" company caters for. You'll find it much easier to be successful in releasing an application for Windows than you can for OSX.

On the other side, my dad (who has extensive experience with all forms of MacOS) doesn't like OSX. When MacOS 9 came out, Apple declared that everybody should upgrade to it because MacOS 8 was fundamentally unstable. The same again happened when OSX was released. Naturally, from experience, he's going to assume that even if he does upgrade to OSX, Apple will still turn around in the future and say "upgrade to OSX2 - OSX is fundamentally unstable".

For the record, I liked MacOS 9. It was the only OS I've ever used that talks to me whenever something goes wrong. For every other OS (Windows or Mac), I've had to rely on my (uncanny) instincts to find problems and fix them. That aside, I also like Android. It's weak, lightweight, and not overly capable, but it does mostly everything I need it to. I would rather an Android powered tablet than an iOS powered one. I'd also like Windows 7 on it, but no tablet at the moment is strong enough for my needs.

19. ferdi-t

Member ferdi-t GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I have to agree with you there for a bit: wine certainly isn't great. This shouldn't be much of a problem if you're looking for regular utilities (there's a Linux-equivalent for every usual desktop app, and sometimes the Linux-version is better), but for gaming it has it's drawbacks.

Have you ever tried Virtualbox OSE? It allows you to install a Windows-partition (or any other OS for that matter) inside Linux, and it works like a charm. More versatile than a dual-boot, and infinitely more stable than wine.

20. haddad

Member haddad GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    I like both >_< And I use both 0_0