Hacking M3i Zero - GBA doesn't load

amitonia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a DS Lite (USG-001) with original firmware v5. I bought an M3i Zero (GMP-Z003) plus a GBA Expansion Pack for it. The M3i isn't a clone and the expansion looks exactly like this one so I'm pretty sure it's not a fake either. I've updated to the latest Zero firmware and Sakura (from Linfox) and I can play DS roms and DS homebrew just fine. I know this isn't the best flash card but all I'm not fussed on different systems/quadboot/movies/etc all I really want to do is play games.

When I go to play a GBA rom, the console loads the GBA BIOS (ie: the rainbow text and "bing" sound) but then doesn't go any further, it just freezes on the white screen with blue "GAME BOY" writing. If I take the GBA Expansion out, it gives me a message that I need one so the Slot-2 device is being recognised.

I have an EZ Flash IV (GBA flash cart) from my old GBA SP and that works ok in the Lite but patching ROMs in Windows is annoying. I'd rather play them from the M3i Zero which is why I bought the expansion. According to everything I've read, the GMP-Z003 should be able to play GBA games in a DS Lite.

Does anyone have any clues on what's causing this and how I can fix it? Thanks in advance for any help.

amitonia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah, that would make sense. I just tried through TouchPod (instead of Sakura) and it says "Game Pak Error".

I'll replace the battery. Thank you so much for your help!

gtmtnbiker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure that you have the M3 GBA Expansion Pack. I have one and found that it doesn't work with CycloDS or Acekard, only with the M3 DS Real. The Ezflash Expansion pack works fine with CycloDS and Acekard. I assume that it won't work with the M3 DS Real. I'll see if I can verify this later.

You would think that all GBA expansion packs would just work the same but apparently they don't.

amitonia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I opened up my M3 Expansion and found one of the solder pads for the battery has actually come away from the PCB. Maybe it was like that from new, maybe it broke rattling round in my backpack. Guess it's new Expansion for me ;_;

@gtmtnbiker: I have also read the two packs are not compatible. I believe you can use GBA Exploader on the CycloDS/Acekard and it will boot GBA ROMs with the M3 Expansion in Slot-2. I wonder if you can also use it to boot GBA Roms on the M3 Slot-1 card with an EZ Flash 3-in-1 in Slot-2?

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
The touchpod interface was never updated properly to use the M3 GEP. You will want to use the sakura interface.
Ummm, I've used my M3 GBA Expansion pack many times perfectly fine within the touchpod firmware and never had a problem loading up gba games. I suggest you actually do a little research before spouting unfound lies! Also if you use sakura you need to first create a save file for gba games by opening options(press y or drag the game to the left hand side) fore each gba game before you boot it for the first time in sakura.

Reactions: 1 person

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
then you got defective hardware,
its not what he thinks is working because it works fine for me also

srly, what did you think everyone was using to boot GBA games before sakura?
all the special functions work fine

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
some people still think the touchpod interface is better or don't know that you can use the sakura interface.

I already knew it was defective, that is why I got 3 or 4 of everything.

Seriously, you think I would do something like this: http://gbatemp.net/t282007-is-it-possible-...t-the-usb-cable
without knowing it was defective.

amitonia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I couldn't find an M3 GEP locally and didn't want to risk getting one from overseas again, so I bought an EZ V 3-in-1. It works fine with the M3i Zero and GBA ExpLoader.

Problem solved! Now, time for some Aria of Sorrow
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Arne214 @ Arne214: ah ok