M3DS Real or R4i Gold

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by CrisR82, Apr 17, 2016.

1. CrisR82
    OP

CrisR82 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2011
    I'm currently using a DS Lite in combination with a M3DS Real flashcart (Sakura firmware).
    I doubt I'll be getting a DSi/DSi XL and I'm sticking to DS games, so here's where I'm doubting: is a R4i Gold worth getting?

The M3DS Real doesn't seem to work with some games (took me a LOT to get The Sims 3 working, and one of the Castlevania games refuses to work at all). I noticed that both of them are pretty much dead when it comes to updates, but the R4i Gold seems to have more recently updated firmware, so I wanted to ask if anyone would recommend switching to that one? My budget is limited and while I'd love to buy a really good cart like the Supercart Two which would solve any problem, it's just not an option for me, but seeing how this one is cheaper it just got me thinking.

Any thoughts or advise on this?

2. Sleet

Sleet GBAtemp Regular

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    Have you tried YSmenu? It should work for your cart and the compatibility is high thanks to retrogamefan's updates.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  3. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Buy an R4i Gold (from r4ids.cn/) and use Wood R4. You can use Ysmenu from retro's files, but honestly Wood R4 is just so much better.

4. CrisR82
    OP

CrisR82 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2011
    Is something specific making it better or its just more compatible with games?

5. Sleet

Sleet GBAtemp Regular

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    It has more options such as multiple save slots, game language select, & RTS. YSmenu is pretty barebones, but the compatibility is nearly the same as R4i Gold's WOOD.

6. 8-BitSafira

8-BitSafira Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2016
    Hi,

Call me a noob, but where exactly should I buy it from? I'm currently in the UK (don't trust anything to be shipped directly to Brunei... it'll never show up) so want to buy it UK/EU based.
    The list shown here (http://www.r4ids.cn/buy-r4i-e.htm) only has one UK link, which after a google search sounds dodgy AF.

Are there any other sites which are trusted which anybody can recommend?

I just want to play some Harvest Moon for some serious throwback... why did I go and update my DSi >.<
    (The amount of defunct cards I have is actually unreal. From M3 DS Simply, to Acekard 2i, to Galaxy Eagle i... I've lost count, to be honest)

7. CrisR82
    OP

CrisR82 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2011
    I'll be going with this one: https://www.digimartz.com/r4i-gold-revolution-for-3ds-ds-dsl-dsi-v145-freeshipping_p741.html