OP
Trophies
Website
cfatalis.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
mm i know this has been asked around alot and i am sorry for asking this
but is the cfw 5.50 gen better than m33 i didn't want anything fancy, i just want them to run iso and the ocassional POPS....... but you know i want to be ready
so my question is
1.can GEN run cwcheat and gpsp
2.is is more stable ?
3.does it have any problem
4.is the folder structure different than m33 ?
thanks for your answer anyway

sprogurt

Trophies
XP
Country
It really depends what you want, M33 is always a stable firmware and many people would choose this over GEN. A while back i wanted to go on resistance online but couldn't as sony blocked m33 access to psn. I decided to take a leap and upgraded it to 5.50 gen a then to u3r (i think that's how it's spelt) and to be honest apart from a few plugins won't work and now i can access the psn i don't find much different. If you want the psn then upgrade to gen, if you want stability for your plugins then keep to m33. All of my games that i've backed up (iso), my psx games and my homebrew run without any problem. Sure you need to clock your game speed for gta:lcs but you did for m33 too.

clegion

OP
Trophies
Website
cfatalis.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
that's it i am going to take the plunge and upgrade anyway ir's not like i have that many plugins anyway nor do i do homebrew for psp i just want my psp to be compatible with the latest iso

casidepro

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
clegion said:
that's it i am going to take the plunge and upgrade anyway ir's not like i have that many plugins anyway nor do i do homebrew for psp i just want my psp to be compatible with the latest iso
and if you don't like it you can always go back to m33 with Hellcat's recovery flasher.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm as bad as anyone for warding people off non M33 firmwares but just saying "It's buggy" about GEN isn't really giving anyone any info. Actual specific issues of anything bar a few plugin problems seem rarely reported.

mayhem366

Trophies
XP
Country
I've tried 5.50 Gen twice actually, the first time i tried A and then switched back for some reson and then when they released B i upgraded to that. I did this as i forgot why i had switched back to M33 and now i still can't remember why i even switched from Gen-B.
Oh, could have been speed issues i think, 5.50 Gen doesn't have the built-in speedup feature to my knwoledge, very useful...

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
From what i've read no, GEN doesn't have the speed boost feature....as if the Millisecond differences were really that noticeable in the first place. THis is about the only concrete complaint i've seen levelled at GEN besides Plugin support. Calling something buggy is just not enough....although i'm not moving from 5.00M33-6!

Rucario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I said it is buggy 'cause it WAS buggy to me. The games just crashed any time and the internet browser was VERY MUCH buggy. Anyway, can't you play newer games if you edit version.txt?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes but you didn't explain which is the point i was making....just saying it's buggy could mean anything.

And no, GEN 5.50-B still has a better compatibility with newer releases the 5.00M33-6, although it too has been foiled by the latest releases, which don't just check a line of text but verify that the correct firmware is in use.

Mr. Shizzy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks xist for showing some common sence. I hate how people bash a perfectly good cfw like GEN, just because DaRk_AleX didn't make it. I posted this (quoted below) in another forum, as we where having this same discussion:

QUOTE said:
I pondered the same things, then decided:

1) We have E-Loader to load 150 brew. The only notable 1.50 kernel dependent homebrew that E-Loader doesn't want to load is Ressulinski 0.3, and for that you could either use Time Machine, or use Nand Manager to dual boot Custom Firmware
wink.gif

2) Emulators - All mine are working. If your having trouble with one in specific, feel free to PM me

3) I'll try some of the old versions of Auto Start configurator. Maybe one of them will work.

4) Xplora, is cool, but PSP Filer is better anyway IMHO.

5) recovery and satelite offsets are no big deal, and will be found soon. (Actually anyone with a hex editor and some free time could find them...)

6) Blessed Hands Dynamic Editor actually does not need to be updated. Just the bookmarks, and Matchung has already posted updated bookmarks for Dynamic Editor over at EndlessParadigm
wink.gif

Also, you could easily dual boot Custom Firmware, make your theme for 5.00 M33, and use CTF Updater GUI to automatically update the theme to 5.50 GEN-B. (From there only a few manual adjustments needed)
wink.gif

So there is some stuff to think about.
With online play, remote play with PS3, and playstation store unavailable to M33 users, I made the decision to abandon ship, and update to GEN.

GEN also has some nice unique features as well.
- Make Pandora Battery in vsh menu
- Restore Pandora Batteries to normal mode in vsh menu
- Auto launch recovery mode from vsh menu. (Its about 4-5 seconds faster than booting into recovery on m33)
- Hide mac address in vsh
- Custom Firmware blocked games such as Evangilian Joe can ONLY be played on GEN. (M33 or MHU Custom Firmware can not)
- you can have video sub folders with .MP4 files in them and it won't freeze the XMB
- SLIM colors patch for PSP 1000 (FAT model) users. Instead of 12 wallpapers, you can have like 27 tongue.png

I'm not trying to sell anyone on GEN Custom Firmware, simply trying to give some folks a full understanding of their available options.

Hope that someone finds that info useful
smile.gif

~Shizzy

EDIT: if some of that quote seems out of context, you can read that entire thread here:
http://consolecaliber.com/forums/Release-S...m33-t11699.html

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
GEN fails to read my MP4 videos. Twice. I converted them, and they show up as 'Unsupported Data'.

I didn't know it was the firmware, and I was getting annoyed at the lag in FIFA 09 (my custom songs lagged when loading stuff), so I downgraded to 5.00 M33-6. Everything just works, videos and no lag whatsoever.

It's just like Mac vs Windows if you look at the analogy.
wink.gif

Windows = GEN, has bugs, and it's crappy. Still solid, though, and has better support (just like Windows. e.g. PS Store access)

M33 = Mac. Works out-of-the-box, has cooler features, and it's faster.

Mr. Shizzy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HBK said:
GEN fails to read my MP4 videos. Twice. I converted them, and they show up as 'Unsupported Data'.

I didn't know it was the firmware, and I was getting annoyed at the lag in FIFA 09 (my custom songs lagged when loading stuff), so I downgraded to 5.00 M33-6. Everything just works, videos and no lag whatsoever.

It's just like Mac vs Windows if you look at the analogy.
wink.gif

Windows = GEN, has bugs, and it's crappy. Still solid, though, and has better support (just like Windows. e.g. PS Store access)

M33 = Mac. Works out-of-the-box, has cooler features, and it's faster.

Do cooler features include:

1) no online play for PSP games
2) no remote play with PS3
3) no access to Playstation Store ???

5.00 M33 has been crippled in my opinion.
Alek of dark-alex.org has already stated there will be no 5.50 M33, so if you care about online capabilities - GEN is your only choice for PSP custom firmware.

By the way: .MP4 vids work fine on my PSP, and I'm on 5.50 GEN-B FULL
wink.gif

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
GEN all the way.

DAX has gave up on us.

he is tired of wasting his life on CFW and only getting "thank you's" online...the incentive is gone.

GEN can acess the store

GEN can play Evangelon (which is a 5.55 required game) hopefulyl GI JOE and Armored Core 3 will be next

they WILL update (recovery menu says "M33 network update == NOT YET.)

I say if thre will be a savior in the PSP scene. I'd go with GEN. M33 is soooo 2008...literally...the last 5.00 M33 was in 2000-FUCKING-8

but come to think about it...

if 5.55 is cracked....the "lucritive" PSP games will be "delayed" and sony will give some bullshit excuse about "making it better"...5.60 Comes out with new security??...BOOM. they have a release data again.

THIS IS WHY GRAN TOURISMO PSP WAS PUSHED BACK FOR 2 FUCKING YEARS. because they couldn't "secure" it..it would be released. it would be bought. it would be mass downloaded. like the fate of any other ordinary psp game.

sony is fuckin greedy and pushed it back every end of the fuckin year because they want ALL TEH MONEYZ for this game...and every other single "lucrative" PSP Game coming out now.

now they have a new "toy" to stop CFW users. NOW THEY RELEASE IT AFTER 2 FUCKIN YEARS AND HYPE...Maybe this is Why Oblivion PSP was stopped. I wouldn't be surprised if it "resurfaced" this year
sleep.gif

(my Intel said they WERE WORKING ON IT. it was even going to be a 2 disk UMD!)

BLAME THE GODDAMN MOTHER FUCKIN' (CURSED BY GOD HIMSELF) PSP GO.

If GEN can't save us.

SONY WINS

We will HAVE to purchase their overpriced (CFW protected) $40 bucks.

its strange that GI JOE is 40 bucks..

while G-Force came out too and its only 30-20 (dont remember)

sony knows what they got. and they KNOW you will PAY For it.

AND KNOWING. IS HALF THE BATTLE.

Yo Joe.

Omega_2

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, been wondering about this, too.
I'm guessing sony and Big N have been having FW classes together, why do they bother when they KNOW they will always
have people buying their overpriced crap anyway.?

stanleyopar2000

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
cause they want EVERYONE to buy their OVERPRiCED SHiT

INCLUDING CFW PiRATES.

I hope that satan posses everyone who gets even 6 feet to a PSP GO to refuse to buy one..

that way...

1. the fad dies
2.we can get our fuckin lives back
3. prolong the 2000/3000 life
4.sony starts from the drawing board
5. "we" win. "they" lose

JOIN THE CAMPAIGN!

SAY NO TO THE PSP GO!

PS: Omega_2...DO i...KNOW you somewhere? (im "Stanley?"

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It's just a fuckin' console. What harm can it do?

Don't get so worked up about it. That stupid thing will fail. It's fugly, and only serves for Sony to make more money.

PSP 1000/2000 ftw.

(No, the 3k is shit)

stanleyopar2000

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
HBK said:
It's just a fuckin' console. What harm can it do?

Don't get so worked up about it. That stupid thing will fail. It's fugly, and only serves for Sony to make more money.

PSP 1000/2000 ftw.

(No, the 3k is shit)

yea..fail like the

SEGA GAME GEAR!?

or the SEGA CD! XD

or the ATARI JAGUAR!/ 5600! (which was to outdue the 2600...in result prolonging it
biggrin.gif
)

or how about the GIZMONDO!?
biggrin.gif

no....

worse....

THE VIRTUAL BOY FAIL!!
happy.gif

*I CURSE YOU SONY AND YOUR PATHETIC NEW PSP CONSOLE.

A CURSE ON YOUR EMPIRE!

(joking.)

*NOTE :stanleyopar2000 does not actually have the powers of a satanic demon from hell.. comments are quoted from exaggeration...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F