Hacking M3 Noob Question

nadeembutt786

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there, ive read allot of how to's and im getting a little confused.

Ive also tried to read the above n00b guide which is brill and answers a few questions but the downlaod link doesnt work.

If i can explain, ive bought a M3 Simply Card from memory bits and followed their instructions

Insert micro SD card in to the card reader and plug in to the usb port wait for a few seconds for windows to find it and automatically install the correct drivers for a usb device.
Go to START and then my computer the usb +micro SD will have been given a drive name i.e. e: f: g: .a, b, c, d, are normally used for standard pc use. If you do not know which the new one is unplug it and watch which drive number goes and it should reappear when you plug it back in.
Right Click on the device and select FAT from the drop down box which should say FAT32 and then format the card, a 2 GB card takes around 10 seconds you can name, label the card if you want.
Download the m3101.zip folder and unzip it then you will have a war file you need to unzip as well, drag and drop it on to the desktop, then drag and drop it on to the drive which is the micro sd . When done it can take up to 2 minutes remove the micro sd and plug it in to the m3 adaptor plug in to ds and power up. You will have the m3 ds logos on the top screen.
Now you just drag and drop you’re backed up ds roms onto the micro SD card.
Do one rom folder at a time as this is quicker than copying 20 at once .on a 2gb micro I have had 46 full roms all work well with no lag or speed issues

Whilst that all sounds very easy i have read other tutorials which state i should have a few others files that i should drag and drop in (_DS_MSHL.DAT, _system_ and moonshl) which werent advised to do by the above? The only file in that zip was the _ds_menu.dat..

Also some people say use version 1.07 , some say 1.10?

Can anyone answer if im firstly doing the correct thing and whetehr i need the other files and secondly if i am whats the correct version of firmware i should use?

azotyp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
I think that you should use always latest firmware
smile.gif
, to install firmware, just copy all firmware folders and files onto microsd .

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
First off, use the latest loader (currently 1.10) unless you have a real reason to use an older one. The last three releases have been compatibility fixes, so some games won't work with an old loader.

The only file you absolutely need is _DS_MENU.DAT (that's the loader). If you just put that file in the root (i.e. not in any folder) of the microSD card, you will be able to boot the cart and run games and homebrew. A file named _DS_MENU.SYS will be created when you boot the cart. You should delete the _DS_MENU.SYS file whenever you replace the _DS_MENU.DAT file with a different version.

If you want to be able to play audio and video files, you will need Moonshell. To install Moonshell, copy _DS_MSHL.NDS and the moonshl folder to the root of the microSD card.

The _SYSTEM_ folder holds the cheat files, themes, and fonts for the built in text viewer, and it also goes in the root of the memory card. If you don't want any of those things, you don't need that folder.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao now I can live the life of Juan...