Interstellar Explorer
OP
Trophies
Website
tattorack.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Denmark
Alright, so I got bit of a head scratcher here.
Its been a while since I last touched my 3DS, but recently I wanted fiddle around with it again.
I went ahead and checked on the internet if there was a new version of Luma3D and a new version of the 3DS firmware. There were, on both counts.
So I updated my Luma3D CFW with the Luma3D updater. Everything went fine.
Then I proceeded to get the latest 3DS firmware update, making sure I was still in my EmuNAND, of course.
The update went fine.
Then I rebooted my 3DS and found out I lost all my apps. No Themely, no Homebrew, no Luma3D Updater, nothing.
My theme was also gone. I thought I booted into my SysNAND, so I went ahead and checked that.
Turns out my SysNAND got updated to version 11.6, but I still have a working EmuNAND at version 11.4, only without any of my stuff.
I can still do stuff on my EmuNAND; I just reinstalled Themely via a .cia and re-applied my theme with no problems.
Sooo.... what exactly happened??

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Does your sysNAND work? If it boots into a black screen you are probably using A9LH and need to follow https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s

If you get it working again, dump your emuNAND since as you can see it just gives you trouble for no gain. Follow https://3ds.guide/move-emunand - but if all your stuff is on sysNAND, only follow the steps that remove emuNAND from your card, not the ones that flash emuNAND to sysNAND (otherwise it would overwrite your stuff).

Last edited by Quantumcat,
Reactions: ThoD

Tattorack

Interstellar Explorer
OP
Trophies
Website
tattorack.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Denmark
Does your sysNAND work? If it boots into a black screen you are probably using A9LH and need to follow https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s

If you get it working again, dump your emuNAND since as you can see it just gives you trouble for no gain. Follow https://3ds.guide/move-emunand - but if all your stuff is on sysNAND, only follow the steps that remove emuNAND from your card, not the ones that flash emuNAND to sysNAND (otherwise it would overwrite your stuff).
Both EmuNAND and SysNAND work fine, which is how I found out that my SysNAND got updated instead of my EmuNAND somehow.
I've successfully updated my EmuNAND to the latest firmware. Now both my SysNAND and EmuNAND are 11.6. I'm also still able to install .cia files and use them just fine in my EmuNAND, so everything is working as it should be, except that I lost everything I had installed and all my saves prior to all this. This whole situation is really confusing.

Tattorack

Interstellar Explorer
OP
Trophies
Website
tattorack.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Denmark
Oh ok, so your stuff isn't in sysNAND either? What do you see if you go to System Settings -> Data Management -> 3DS software? Do your games appear but greyed out with an X? Or not at all?
Nothing at all, except for the things I installed just now (Homebrew Launcher, Themely and MarioMaker 3D).

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
The Nintendo 3DS folder is where your games are stored. Looks like they haven't gone but your console is acting like it has been formatted. Restore any NAND backups you have, that will at least have the Nintendo 3DS folder working, you may just have to reinstall tickets for any games you installed between when the backup was made and now.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is doing this safe? What could go wrong if I do this experiment.
When the 3ds boots up through b9s, it checks the sd card to make sure boot.firm is there to load into whatever that boot.firm is (in most cases luma3ds). If you delete boot.firm, the 3ds will give up looking and turn itself off. I just want to make sure 100% that the 3ds still has b9s installed by making sure the 3ds doesn't boot up without that file. If you put the file back everything else goes back. It's like removing the .exe for a PC game. Doesn't work without it, but if you put it back the game works fine.

Tattorack

Interstellar Explorer
OP
Trophies
Website
tattorack.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Denmark
When the 3ds boots up through b9s, it checks the sd card to make sure boot.firm is there to load into whatever that boot.firm is (in most cases luma3ds). If you delete boot.firm, the 3ds will give up looking and turn itself off. I just want to make sure 100% that the 3ds still has b9s installed by making sure the 3ds doesn't boot up without that file. If you put the file back everything else goes back. It's like removing the .exe for a PC game. Doesn't work without it, but if you put it back the game works fine.
Alright, the 3DS boots into SysNAND (I know this because in the settings app it will say "Sys 11.6 E" and in the EmuNAND it wont have "Sys" infron of it). No errors or anything of particular note happened.

Last edited by Tattorack,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16