Hacking Luma only loads from SysNand

josmellop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Well, first time here, but I'm been reading you all from ages.

I have a problem with an Old3DS XL. It's from a cousin, and his parents installed B9S about a year ago. It has luma 9.1 installed, and I want to update it, but something happens to it that I have never seen before.
Normally, if luma is copied into sysnand, and you power on the console without SD, luma loads from sysnand. But if SD is inserted, luma loads from SD. That's not happening here. Luma ONLY and ALWAYS load from sysnand.
When the 3DS is on the menu, games from the SD appears, so SD is been read. I manage to load GodMode9, in order to see if there are luma files inside CTRNAND\rw folder, and files are there. In fact, I updated them to latest luma release. But when you power on the 3DS, luma 9.1 appears again.

I don't know from where it is loaded, I searched in every folder inside nand but no clue, I don't understand it.

Sorry for my english and hope someone can help me :(

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CTRNAND Luma3DS
  1. GodMode9 → [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND/boot.firm
  2. Press (A) on boot.firm Calculate SHA-256

The boot.firm for Luma3DS v9.1 will be:
  • Size: 182.0 kB
  • SHA-256: 21A50466C73AA2BF255A167424586AED456E970E3AC69EBB0A930ABD9075B31B

If this is missing or different, you can manually add or update Luma3DS on the CTRNAND:

3. Go to [0:] SDCARD ()/boot.firm
4. Press (Y) on boot.firm to [CLIPBOARD] select it.
  • If you make a selection mistaken, press (SELECT) to reset the choice.
5. Back out with (B) button and go back to [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND.
6. Press (Y) → Copy path(s) → <A> yes → combo → Overwrite file(s) <A> yes.​

Another thing to look out for is that your cousin may have replaced boot9strap with fastboot3ds.

7. Turn off the o3DSXL. Turn it back on and hold the (HOME) button.
  • If this is installed, you will see the fastboot3DS menu.

Edit - Maybe your boot.firm is missing on the SD card?

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: Quantumcat

josmellop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I will try that as soon as I can, and I didn't remember that 9.1 was the latest :/

But I can tell that I manually update boot.firm to the root of CTRNAND, 182kb, and the luma folder with payloads, etc. But it didn't matter, luma was still loading from sysnand instead from SD (at the bottom of the screen it was: "CTRNAND from B9S" or something like that, not from SD), and I tryed to erase the config file, but when I reboot, the config screen didn't popup.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I will try that as soon as I can, and I didn't remember that 9.1 was the latest :/

But I can tell that I manually update boot.firm to the root of CTRNAND, 182kb, and the luma folder with payloads, etc. But it didn't matter, luma was still loading from sysnand instead from SD (at the bottom of the screen it was: "CTRNAND from B9S" or something like that, not from SD), and I tryed to erase the config file, but when I reboot, the config screen didn't popup.
Copy the SD card data to your computer and run H2testw to check your card. There may be something wrong with it, if you're sure you have boot.firm on it.

josmellop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
But when the console powers on, the game installed on the SD appears in the home menu, so microsd isnt bad (or not totally bad). And I tryed 3 different microSD, and always load luma from CTRNAND :/

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But when the console powers on, the game installed on the SD appears in the home menu, so microsd isnt bad (or not totally bad). And I tryed 3 different microSD, and always load luma from CTRNAND :/
Did you check for fastboot3ds with the (HOME) button at start up?

If your 3DS has neither boot9strap or fastboo3ds, the last possible explanation for Luma3DS always booting from CTRNAND is that your cousin installed Luma3DS directly to FIRM0 and/or FIRM1. *
* See the post below.​

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the last possible explanation for Luma3DS always booting from CTRNAND is that your cousin installed Luma3DS directly to FIRM0 and/or FIRM1.
Luma can detect that as well and should not write Booted from CTRNAND via B9S in this case.
Luma_FIRM0.png

Luma_FIRM0_2.jpg

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

josmellop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Until next week I can't try again your suggestions, but one thing that I tryed was reinstalling B9S with SafeB9SInstaller, but the behaviour was the same, so I think that "hidden" variant isn't the problem. I have to re-check the message from luma. Thanks you all for the answers!

neoelement

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hola, pudiste arreglar tu problema? me pasa exactamente lo mismo y no encontre nada en ningun foro.
Hi, could you fix your problem? I have the same problem and I cant fix it anyway

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/86HNVHp9ts4?si=ZtnzsnhlNxNN-Fnu