LUMA/GM9 crash on home screen

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but I just today noticed that the cluster size was set to 4092 bytes. I re-formatted the card with 32kb and now moving over the files from my backup. Not sure if this could be causing the issue.
Yes, it definitely will cause issues.

havreGet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yes, it definitely will cause issues.
I reformatted and turned the console back on again, still crashes on homescreen. It's so strange because it can run any game or software without crashing but as soon as i'm the home menu for more than 4 seconds it crashes which becomes very inconvenient. I tried the whole "remove home menu exdata" which didn't work either. Im now thinking of starting a clean cfw on a new sd card like someone here proposed. Do you know of any guide that can help me do that? All guides I can find presume that you have no cfw at all, my cfw is still on the console so I don't want to interfere with that.

Last edited by havreGet,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but as soon as i'm the home menu for more than 4 seconds it crashes which becomes very inconvenient.
Try updating the system from system settings or recovery mode. If it still crashes after updating it, backup your games with GodMode9 and saves with Checkpoint and All the data that's on your sd card, and do a system format. Put everything back to the sd card after doing that. Don't let it create a new Nintendo 3DS folder, make sure to put yours before you boot the system.
And if you want to use new Luma3DS & GodMode9 files, get them from here and put them on the sd card instead of the ones that you have.
Im now thinking of starting a clean cfw on a new sd card like someone here proposed. Does that mean I have to completely uninstall it from the 3ds itself to factory settings, then downloading cfw from scratch again? And if so, should I do that whole process before involving the new SD card?
No, you shouldn't uninstall cfw on your system at this state, and it will only make it worse if you do so.
If the above doesn't fix it, then you might have to do a CTRTransfer. Follow the steps carefully, and keep your game and save backups because you'll need them..

havreGet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Try updating the system from system settings or recovery mode. If it still crashes after updating it, backup your games with GodMode9 and saves with Checkpoint and All the data that's on your sd card, and do a system format. Put everything back to the sd card after doing that. Don't let it create a new Nintendo 3DS folder, make sure to put yours before you boot the system.
And if you want to use new Luma3DS & GodMode9 files, get them from here and put them on the sd card instead of the ones that you have.

No, you shouldn't uninstall cfw on your system at this state, and it will only make it worse if you do so.
If the above doesn't fix it, then you might have to do a CTRTransfer. Follow the steps carefully, and keep your game and save backups because you'll need them..
I really appreciate you taking time to help me. I'm gonna go through these steps now. The system format part confused me, that means the sd card right, and not the console? I'm also having problems understanding specifically what folders should go into the formatted sd card before booting the console? There are so many BIN, DMP, FIRM etc.. files and other junk that i don't know what to do with. Thanks again.

havreGet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I really appreciate you taking time to help me. I'm gonna go through these steps now. The system format part confused me, that means the sd card right, and not the console? I'm also having problems understanding specifically what folders should go into the formatted sd card before booting the console? There are so many BIN, DMP, FIRM etc.. files and other junk that i don't know what to do with. Thanks again.

Actually don't waste time replying, i'm a (excuse the language) fucking nutbag, updating the console fixed the issue. I've been spending hours trying to fix this while thinking updating would corrupt the console somehow. I just needed someone qualified to tell me to do it... Thanks for your help man.

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The system format part confused me, that means the sd card right, and not the console?
Same.
I'm also having problems understanding specifically what folders should go into the formatted sd card before booting the console? There are so many BIN, DMP, FIRM etc.. files and other junk that i don't know what to do with. Thanks again.
Boot.firm, Luma and gm9 folders on the root of the sd card are cfw files and are necessary for the system to boot.
The 3DS folder has homebrew apps that you'll need, same for the cias folder (if you didn't delete them that is)..
The sd:/Nintendo 3DS/32id folder is the folder that contains your installed games, saves etc. And you have to store it somewhere safe.
Saves made by Checkpoint are inside 3DS folder.
But you should backup all the data from your sd card, and copy just the ones i mentioned above, for the time being..

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually don't waste time replying, i'm a (excuse the language) fucking nutbag, updating the console fixed the issue. I've been spending hours trying to fix this while thinking updating would corrupt the console somehow. I just needed someone qualified to tell me to do it... Thanks for your help man.
Oh, so no more crashes, are you sure?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, it wasnt aimed at you but ok