Luck

Do you believe in luck?

• Absolutely

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I believe in it for fun

• Luck is merely the illusion of probability taking a turn for the better or worse. (No I don't believ

• Total voters

bnwchbammer

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Man, I'm all into polls today.
Anyway, this one is about luck.
No real reason why I picked it, I just figured it'd be a fun thing to discuss.
So discuss!

Also, if you've got any lucky charms name them!
I've got a pair of lucky underwear,
A lucky T-Shirt that I wear to tests and such,
A lucky 2 dollar bill,
And a lucky key that unlocks those fake handcuffs.
But I don't really believe in luck, just for the fun of it.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's one of those things where you just say "Damn I lost all my money gambling, I must have bad luck".

There aren't too many people who say "Luck isn't real you're all retards", it's just something everyone says even if a lot of us think/know it's not real. Kind of like how some people pray even if they're not religious (meh, bad example).

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
anaxs said:
yup, nope and yup
Same.

My luck sucks though.
ohnoes.png

denieru7

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, although I have bad "luck" a lot of the time, I strictly believe in mathematics. That is, probability is the key factor in deciding "luck". However, this is only to an extent.

Einstein once famously said that “I am convinced that He [God] does not play dice”. This was a frustrated response to the fundamentally probabilistic nature of physics.

Let's take an example of a Carbon isotopes' half life. C-11 has a half life of two minutes; what that means is that in two minutes, half of the C-11 atoms in a sample group will decay; in the next two minutes, you'll be left with a quarter of the amount you started out with. The problem arises when you have one C-11 atom left. What then? We know that atoms are the smallest, most fundamental building blocks of matter. There's no such thing as half an atom.

The best we can do is to say that in 2 minutes, it has a 50% chance of decaying. In 4 minutes, there's a 25% chance that it will decay. It has 1 in a billion chance of being around an hour from now. There is just simply no way of knowing.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Physics/manifestation of probability here.

@denieru7 you appear to grasp the concept/mechanism of radioactive decay but misinterpret the meaning/limits of the model- in your example though surely it just decays (if it does "choose" to decay) into the resulting products of decay of your chosen isotope (Boron 11 if memory serves). Also to an extent radioactivity is a mathematical model much like entropy and can fall over at the extremes (see unified theory/model of physics).

Also quarks- usually considered to be smaller than atoms and their compoents and you can get lower than that although that is where the debates usually start.

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Karma is not supernatural. When you help people they will help you when your in the shitz. That's human nature.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Luck doesn't exist probability is all that does

karma doesn't exist either but it has similarities to newtons third law of motion
QUOTE said:
The mutual forces of action and reaction between two bodies are equal, opposite and collinear. This means that whenever a first body exerts a force F on a second body, the second body exerts a force ?F on the first body. F and ?F are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

bnwchbammer

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Pi said:

karma doesn't exist either but it has similarities to newtons third law of motion
QUOTE said:
The mutual forces of action and reaction between two bodies are equal, opposite and collinear. This means that whenever a first body exerts a force F on a second body, the second body exerts a force ?F on the first body. F and ?F are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.
Karma is more of the supernatural ability of things to even itself out. Sure if you do something you expect something back from someone, but obviously it's just a coincidence if it's from a third party. (So I'm agreeing with you)

EpicJungle

stop browbeating me can't you see i'm sexy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I believe in it for fun, like if someone comes into my room
while im playing a game, and suddenly I lose...
I'd say, "WTF YOU'RE MY BAD LUCK!!"

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
The Pi said:

QUOTE said:

Luck = the rate of things happening in your favor (probability influences luck)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast