Looking to get a new Video card

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Tom Bombadildo, Jul 29, 2011.

Jul 29, 2011
  1. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    I've been thinking of getting a new video card for a while now and I just can't decide on what to get. I'd like it to be relatively cheap, somewhere between $50-$70. I've found one at Newegg that seems pretty good, but I was wondering if there was anything else for around the same price that would be better. I'd like it to at least run newer games on low-medium settings. The card I'm looking at now is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814134121 It also has to be Low Profile.

2. marcus134

Member marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    It might not be the best buy because
    1. you can get a 440 for the same price (without considering the 10$ mail-in rebate) wich is better than the 430
    2. you can get a 5570 for less (without considering the 10$ mail-in rebate) which is even better than the 440

You can always look at this article for reference : Best Graphics Cards For The Money: July 2011
    The last page of this article give you a hierarchy charts of the cards, you'll see the 5570 much higher than both 430 and 440

you can also look at the benchmarks for yourself.

3. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    I see...I do dislike ATI quite a bit, I might just go with the 440. That and my current PSU is only 350W so the 5570 wouldn't run very well I don't think...Will have to find a damn PSU to fit into my case, this is for an HP slimline computer, I'm trying to find either a 500W PSU for it that will fit in the case or a good cheap case and a 600W PSU but I can't seem to find anything as cheap or decent looking that I'd like, and it's near impossible to find a PSU for slimline's over 350W. It's a TFX.

4. marcus134

Member marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    If you looked at the benchmark link i sent you, you would see that all three cards have 50-55w of power draw

component power draw:
    cpu+mobo: 85 to 150w (we'll assume 125)
    1 dvd: 35w
    1 hdd: 25w
    +
    gpu: 55w
    total: 240w
    If you don't have anything else in your computer or power hungry usb devices, it should be alright.