Looking into purchasing a tablet for college.

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone i was thinking of purchasing a tablet but the problem is i have no idea where to start.I am looking into this for college use mainly and web browsing and playing some games on it. I was looking at the nexus 7 and the new kindle fires they both look to be really great but i don't know anything about either of them. All there any sites or anything that can help me purchase one. Also my budget will be 200 to around 500 obviously the lower the better. I am not looking to buy one for a few weeks so i have time to find one that fits all my needs. I was looking into the ipad from apple it looks really good now that said i don't know if i should get a ipad 3 or ipad 2. At microcenter right now the 16gb ipad 2 is 359 which is really cheap however the 16gb ipad 3 is only 100 more. I don't know much about apple so i dont know if i should just get a 16 ipad 2 or a bigger ipad 3. Also i know there are many others out there i don't mind what os they have on them Also i am sorry if this is in the wrong forum if its you can move it to the right one.

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay in regards to a ipad 3 would it be worth it to get a 16gb version or just shell out another 100 and get the 32gb. How big are the apps for the ios i heard some of them are big. I also know i will not really have 16 or 32 more like 14 or 28 left so in regards which would be better.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
iPad 3. The kindle fire and Nexus 7 have terrible build quality.
Can you explain how?
Kindle fire has a dual core processor which is terrible for tablets, and the nexus 7 screen pops out because of the thermal expansion that occurs with the screws behind the screen.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there are also other tabs to look at in the android category
asus tf700, acer a700, samsung galaxy tab 2

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
iPad 3. The kindle fire and Nexus 7 have terrible build quality.
Can you explain how?
Kindle fire has a dual core processor which is terrible for tablets, and the nexus 7 screen pops out because of the thermal expansion that occurs with the screws behind the screen.
You do realise that the processor doesn't count towards the build quality... right?

The iPad has a lot more tablet based apps. The iOS Developers have embraced the iPad format a lot more than any Android devs have tried to make their apps tablet exclusive (probably because its hard to tell whether a device is a phone or a tablet without limiting tablet mode to specific devices). A lot of the time when you're running on an Android tablet you'll just end up with giant versions of the phone app where you would get a much more tablet oriented experience on the iOS app. A Nexus 7 is a lot cheaper than an iPad though.

I would definitely avoid the Kindle though. Without the Play Market it just seems too limited to me.

Reactions: 1 person

CCNaru

Warn-free Since 2005
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
If you're in Yonkers or Long Island area, see if you have this near: http://microcenter.com/

$40 off ipads, even the new ipads, cheaper than any of the places I've shopped around.

edit: you do, nice! I got the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, because it supports Korean, and has a stylus that I can use and it's very nice for me, but you actually CAN tell the lack of HD when you're watching a video, like 1080p. I only watch videos 720p or below (I download/watch Korean shows that only are released in 720p and 450p, although I wouldn't even bother with 1080p anyway because of the shitty internet I have), so unless you would REALLY like to use the stylus on your tablet that works beautifully, I would rather get either the ipad or the tf700t. If you choose either, I would say it ultimately comes down to either the iOS vs Android...

edit2: Nexus 7 is great in performance and looks, runs apps well, great screen resolution and if you can deal with the small screen but if I wanted to watch a video on a 7" tablet, I would just bring my laptop. Also Nexus 7 doesn't have a MicroSD insert (borderline retarded on their part), so that was another HUGE minus for me.

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well in regards to microcenter would the deal on a ipad be online or is it only in stores. I have nothing around me the only place that i have is a walmart and staples. The microcenter and best buy are all about a hour drive away. Also i might get a ipad mini but i don't know if i would want the big screen or the smaller screen on the ipad mini. Also i might just stick with apple seeing as they have the most tablet based apps than android on their devices.

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh well that sucks that idea is out the window hopefully with the ipad mini coming out there might be a price drop. However knowing apple i find that to be highly unlikely, so i guess i am going to have to look around and find a good deal on one.

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well what i just realized after i added to cart to check out the price was that with taxes it was 499 any ways, that is 30 dollars extra tax. So it looks like i am just better paying for 499 and buying from either amazon or newegg, or any of shoprunners stores that sell them that way i wont pay for shipping and it is free 2 days with prime and shoprunner. I am going to look around seeing as it is going to probably be the middle of October maybe earlier before i have money to get one.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
newegg doesnt charge for tax for people in ny and is usually free 3 day shipping so I would buy from there if you can

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that is what i might end up doing i love newegg to death. As a result i have shoprunner which allows me unlimited free 2 day shipping if it allows it so that is also a plus it will get here faster. It is currently priced on newegg originally 599 which is huge but as of now it is 509.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Android tablets are generally more powerful (but some of that power is needed to drive the OS) but iPad has more tablet optimized apps (~300,000 if I'm correct).

I dunno about your country, but iPads are slightly cheaper than most Android tabs here. I'll go with the iPad + Retina. However the iPad 2 is also no slouch and delivers about the same or to some extent even better than the Retina iPad.

As for Android tabs I heard its best to avoid Kindle Fire unless you root it. One of my cousins imported a Nexus 7 and it was very zippy, however the lack of cellular for present models kinda hurt. Since its by Google (+ Asus), it will get very fast updates. So there is no doubt that Nexus 7 is the best android tab to own.

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the ipad refurbished off of apples site is about 449 which seems to be the cheapest i can find for a 16gb ipad 3 model. From what i read it seems that apple takes very good care with refurbished models replacing everything so it is basically brand new but someone else preowned it which really doesn't bother me so i might get that because that saves me 50.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: they be like which lite firefox exe pls