Hacking Looking for testers for my guide.

koji2009

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(edit) Have enough testers for now. Waiting to hear back from everyone involved in the first wave and make sure none of them have any problems. If I need more testing, I'll ask again. If all goes well then I'll write the full guide that I can post here.

I've just assembled a bunch of programs/files and created a quick and dirty guide for getting disc loading to work on 4.0 menu wiis using softmod. I'm looking for some guinea pigs willing to test it out.

I'm not trying to pull a softmii... I have no intentions of taking any credit (my name won't even be on the guide) and I have no intentions to setup asking for donations... I just wanted to make a guide that'd be easy to follow for those ready to upgrade from 3.2-3.4 that had been using softmii or a similar guide previously.

Do note, since there is no new version of preloader there isn't any real brick protection. I've tried the guide out on my NTSC 3.2 wii and fully upgraded to 4.0 with disc channel loading no problem, but I can't gurantee anyone's wii will be 100% safe. This guide should work for NTSC and PAL (there is only 1 step difference between the two, which is the start loader)

If after reading all of this you're interested, send me a PM. If you're curious before hand what programs the guide uses...

Wad Manager 1.3
cIOScorps
Startpatchv4.0
cIOS36_R8 installer
Wiigator's mios .2 installer

(edit) forgot one thing! There is a prerequisite. You must be on a wii 3.2-3.4 with homebrew channel installed or menu 4.0 with a cIOS installed BEFORE updating to 4.0 as well as the HBC.

If all works out well, I'll write a second guide that I can post publically here without all the wads in a few days that should be safe for everyone to use.]

I once again take no credit for any of this and the true praise for everything belongs to the coders of the programs listed above. Thanks in advance, and again PM me if you're interested.

lavamasta

Trophies
Website
swagbucks.com
XP
Country
United States
i qualify for all the specifications... i dont see much point in it though... im gonna wait to upgrade. i wanna have my wii fully functional and be able to use the usb loader coming out soon! woot! cant wait
smile.gif

koji2009

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MrBubbles: I can disc channel load from 4.0 on my completely softmodded wii yes.

The breakthrough was the release of startpatch just a few hours ago that removes the update check and the new cIOSCORP custom IOS60 which allows for the disc channel to recognise backups in 4.0

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hmm, i may indulge in this testing. never been part of a test before.

if you want i'll get round to giving it a try.

this is the exact reason i dont want to upgrade to 4.0E, no loading from disc channel lol

however i am pretty scared about the result XD as in, i know a guy who's wii i softmii'd and it constantly said you need to update in the disc channel until i installed preloader and set skip updates...

i just hope that doesnt happen to me lol

hows about you PM me then i'll get back to you tomorow at about 6pm GMT coz i've got college lol

i'm also a little bit sceptical about the space it'll take up on my wii, memory wise. i suppose that updating to 4.0 means the old cIOSCORP wads will be removed though lol

MrBubbles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can disc channel load from 4.0 on my completely softmodded wii yes.

I have CIOSCorp 2 installed and a MIOS for GameCube loading from disc channel.

I'm willing to test this out.

ajd4096

Trophies
XP
Country
koji2009 said:
I'm not trying to pull a softmii... I have no intentions of taking any credit (my name won't even be on the guide) and I have no intentions to setup asking for donations...

For maximum points you have to
* put CONMFIRMED in the subject
* claim it was leaked by your beta-testers.
* say you "heard the disks spin the other way"
smile.gif

Yeah, I'll give it a go.

MrBubbles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently updating. Guide seems very simple and YES you can still run GC backups with this. Will post results in a couple minutes.

MizuhoChan

Trophies
Website
mii.nanodesu.org
XP
Country
I'd just like to say, your guide is perfect. I followed everything to the letter and my Wii is now at 4.0 with everything working.

You sir, require props.

Incidentally, are the CIOS bugfixes required? You didn't mention to install them.

koji2009

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I didn't mention those specifically. Yes all of the cios in that folder should be installed. When I write the final guide I'll make it clearer.

Also, I don't deserve any props. All I did was gather the programs and write a quick guide.

If anyone has any problems at 4.0 you can always use anyregionchanger and be able to downgrade back to 3.2 without incident.

koji2009

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joesa: Ah I just sent you my guide. Since you are having problems with startpatch on your current setup, I'd like to know what method did you use to upgrade to 4.0. Icefire's installer, Waninkoko's, or official.

Also, would you mind downgrading and updating using the official nintendo server and trying my guide that way to see if you have any different result?

Mr. Bubbles: Are you getting any sort of error? Or do they just not read or display in the disc channel?

Joesalad21

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
koji2009 said:
Joesa: Ah I just sent you my guide. Since you are having problems with startpatch on your current setup, I'd like to know what method did you use to upgrade to 4.0. Icefire's installer, Waninkoko's, or official.

Also, would you mind downgrading and updating using the official nintendo server and trying my guide that way to see if you have any different result?

I used Icefire's updater to update to 4.0

and yeah I'll downgrade then update to official then use your guide.

MrBubbles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well good news and bad news.

Good news is I was wrong!

Bad news is only games from my region work. I tried a Japanese Wii game first and it didn't know what to make of it. Then a NSTC-U game and it worked.

I also installed region free channels and games, can anyone confirm if JP games don't work?

Other than Japanese games I'm fine on my end.

Littlegreenmen

Trophies
XP
Country
Test Report;-
Starting system- 3.2e with Ciosrev8 & HBC installed.

Followed your guide/package and now running sys 4.0e disc channel loading with updates blocked. PERFECT. Very easy to follow. If you could i would make seperate download packages for pal and ntsc so the incorrect starpatch cannot be accidently used. But overall this is in my opinion the best/safest method yet. Nice work dude.
ps would be very nice if you could at screenshots in your manual- This could eventually be a alternative method to miiwii but for sysmenu4.0. ACE

Game compatibility on PAL system;-
No more heroes NTSC = OK
PES2009 NTSC = Shows in disc channel but boots to black screen [please note this happened prior to my update] works ok through gamma channel

koji2009

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... I'm going to have to download and burn a couple out of region games to double check that everything is working right on my wii as well.

As I said before if you have any issues or playing backups from another region is absolutely crucial from the disc channel (they should work perfectly fine from any loader, but if someone would double check for me just to be sure, I'd be most greatful) you can easily use anyregionchanger to downgrade back to 3.2 while I see if there is anything I can do about the issue on my side.

Littlegreenmen: Thanks for the feedback if anything at all comes up (or more confirmation on the region issues) let me know and I'll see what I can do.

MizuhoChan

Trophies
Website
mii.nanodesu.org
XP
Country
In reponse to MrBubbles, I am a PAL user and I used a scrubbed Animal Crossing NTSC disc to test if it would boot, which it did.

So perhaps it's due to your updating method, I used the official updater.

MrBubbles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was on 3.2 then went to 4.0 officially. I tried Disaster and Fatal Frame, neither of them were read. So if you're a PAL user and other region games work for you, it might be an error on my end.

I'll reinstall every WAD again and see what happens. Even if it doesn't work I can use the old Gamma loaders for the 3 region games that don't work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far