codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fellow Tempers,

Currently a little bit fed up with my current situation, but given the relative quality of this community, I felt it was worth putting this out there, both to get it off my chest, and also to get some hopefully good advice of how/where to proceed from here.

I have a CECHA on 3.55 Kmeaw right now, since both ps3-hax and psx-scene recommended it for NAND ps3's at the time and there were a wealth of people reporting in with success on this firmware (especially when compared to the likes of waninkoko and such).

And while there is bootmii for the Wii and tools to recover my 360's DVD drive if ever I got a bad flash, I still feel wary because there's no such safeguarding I can do with my CECHA. Down the line, I managed to rescue a CECHB from YLoD, and while it does boot up, it currently will only go to the recovery menu anymore. And despite the bluray drive working fine (last i recall), my attempts to prepare it fro 3.55, CFW, and then all the other steps before going to a 4.* CFW have led me to an unusable system there, because it won't let me (re)flash any firmware, official or otherwise... I keep getting a 8002F14E error on that CECHB no matter what I try. :nayps3:

That said, I'm still rather irritated about a number of things (to the best of my knowledge):
  • The complete (apparent) lack of any love from stuff like the E3 Flasher that would allow me to backup and restore my NAND-based CECHA without requiring soldering out the wazoo
  • How most of the 4.* CFW's apparently require downgrading back to 3.55 before I could go try another or update, which comes up as a red flag in my mind because it just feels like it's asking to get a brick scenario.
  • Given my PS3 is my sole bluray player, the current firmware not only limits me from being able to buy any new PS3 games I would want (Portal 2 included), but is also keeping me wary from buying any new movies, especially those that use this thing I keep hearing called Cinavia.
So, I'm just really stumped as to what to do, and what my options are. That said, here are my questions.
  • Is there any NAND backup/restore that is purely solder-free? I stress this because:
    • I do not have a soldering gun or access to soldering tools
    • Even if I did, I would not want my first soldering project being on a $600 console
    • I don't have $1000 to blow on a (likely fake) eBay auction for a "new" 60gig only to get a ps3 60gig box full of cinder blocks in it, like so many eBay auctions tend to do. And before anyone says "just buy from trusted sellers", the simple matter is I just don't trust eBay at all, and would rather not buy something from there if I have any other options
  • is it finally possible to upgrade from a 4.* CFW to another without having to downgrade first?
  • I feel kinda out of the loop on this one, but I do know that there was this "stealth" version of Multiman that was apparently out there. But... how would I install it? and after it's installed, how would I launch it? Would that be something I install before I update?
  • Is there somewhere I can go to that shows people reporting what kinda console they installed their CFW's on and success/failure scenarios? As I said, I only moved up from 3.15 and 3.41 to 3.55 because there were plenty of people reporting success with their CECHA's and CECHB's, which I just don't see anymore from any site, including this one :ph34r::(
  • By the way, is there any hope for getting that CECHB up and running again? It doesn't give a Ylod, but attempting to boot it up normally anymore just gives a few seconds of it spinning up and then just shutting off. No blinking red light or anything like that... it just won't boot unless it's to recovery mode at this point in time. And that error won't let me install ANY firmware on it at all, which only makes it more frustrating.
Much thanks to fellow tempers that can help.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can go from one CFW to another as long as it's the same or higher without downgrading. I've gone from Rogero 4.30 to Rebug 4.30 without any downgrading. Going from Rebug 4.41 to Rogero 4.40, on the other hand, would require downgrading. I know it's only one point of several that you've pointed out, but it's one less thing to be frustrated about.

mschumacher69

Trophies
XP
Country
  • I don't think there is, E3 advertise a NAND flasher but I'm not sure if they released it yet and if it's solderless or not.
  • Yes
  • I wouldn't waste my time on stealthMAN because tbh, I don't believe it makes a difference with getting banned, many who use it have gotten banned and many who don't use it haven't gotten banned. Anyways, if you insist on using it, you can install it whenever you want once on CFW.
  • The reason you don't see such reports anymore is because CFWs are reliable nowadays, especially if you go for Rebug.
  • I'm not sure if you can rescue your CECHB, maybe you need to remarry your BD Drive? Regarding your CECHA, just install Rebug 4.41.2 from XMB on top of kmeaw by following the guide below:
1- Make NOR/NAND dump (optional):
Install latest version of multiMAN (4.40.00), plug in a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive into the right USB port, launch multiMAN under Games and go to mmOS > Press [O] on any file > Open in HEX viewer > Press [SELECT] > Press [START] > Export GameOS LV2: Select No > Export HV LV1: Select No > Export FLASH: Select Yes
2- Install Rebug 4.41.2 from XMB:
Download Rebug 4.41.2 from Rebug's website, verify the md5 hash, rename the PUP to PS3UPDAT.PUP, put it on your FAT32 formatted flash drive in PS3\UPDATE, go to System Update and Update via Storage Media. Make sure there's NO original game disk in the drive and that you DON'T Update via Internet or else you would risk installing OFW higher than 3.55!
3- Enable QA:
Install Rebug Toolbox from Package Manager, launch it under Games, go to Utilities and enable QA. This is to ensure easier and safer downgrading.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll forgive me if I am a little wary of Rebug, if only because the last time I tried one of their spoofers, I semi-bricked my Kmeaw... I was able ot restore via the recovery mode on my CECHA then, but it made the recovery menu force a reformat, which naturally would tick someone off that's been working through some games.

That said, reading on their site looks to be that at least this one is based on the current 4.41 OFW. Main thing I'd want to do PSN wise would be to sync my trophies, and maybe (as a start) get the netflix app on my system. I also know for a fact that QA is enabled on my CECHA, because that magic button combo works and gives me the added options. Is there anything there I should keep an eye out for?

Also, I think I remember doing the NAND dump, but it wasn't big enough... or rather, it wasn't a full 255/256MB dump. Wouldn't that be a problem?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, a small update... after what was a pretty nerve-wracking (for me!) set of minutes, it looks like I'm successfully on Rebug 4.41.2 :)

I just know that regarding the PS3, when I did have PSN/SEN access I usually signed off before running anything homebrew wise. That said, a few questions please?
  • I rather liked that usrcheat home-brew for the games that it had support for. Should I look for an updated build of that to run on 4.41.2 now?
  • I personally made a habit of usually using a history eraser app before attempting to sign online (usually having the game loaded via multiman or a real copy), getting the homebrew and stuff out of the way. Would any of these need to be updated now that I'm on 4.* CFW?
  • Finally, what's this PS2 classics stuff I heard so much about? It sounds interesting but never really got it explained. Does this mean being able to load PS2 ISO's now? Further, can they be on an external or would they HAVE to be on internal?
:)

mschumacher69

Trophies
XP
Country
Any homebrew you used on 3.55 needs to be resigned to work on 4.xx.

Regarding PS2 Classics, yes, this allows you to play PS2 games on your PS3, but you have to convert them to PS2 Classics first. Don't ask me how though because I've never done it myself, I just don't see the point in playing PS2 games on the PS3. Well, unless it's a blockbuster game such as the original Resident Evils, Hitman... and those are already available as HD remastered versions on the PS3.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, one more question before I head to bed.

I'm sad to see that Code Unique doesn't work on 4.41 Rebug... but I thought there was a new version that was explicitly made ofr the 4.* CFW's... is that true? if so, where would I find it?

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I heard there's a version for 4.xx CFW but I don't have any info because I'm not interested in cheating...

It does have other uses as well. :lol:

As to the question. Nothing as of yet. The person who cracked the first one made for 3.55 isn't interested in cracking the 4.xx one due to a deal he struck with the Code Unique team.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:lol:

I got banned too. I believe they scan your PS3 for items that are only there if you have CFW.

Oh but only my profile. >.> PS3 is fine.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not quite sure, but I'm not complaining. (Other than losing my Vita content I bought.)

I've stopped going online just so that I can eventually sell it as an ubanned cfw slim ps3.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
ps2 games run upscaled @ 720p

kof neowave, tales of symphonia, tales of the abyss

the image quality is... wonderful.and those behind ps2 compatibility on non bc ps3 (slims upwards), are geniuses

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i really dont see the point in even updating to newer than 3.55 cfw it is really quite useless tbh , you have to update all your homebrew and managers to ones signed with new keys and what good does it do you? NONE ,besides not having to install edited eboots, but come on how lazy can you be just DL the modded eboots whats the big deal ,am i missing something? they have spoofer/ psn enabler for lower cfw , its the same amount of effort to find new signed managers and homebrew and go through trouble of updating than it is to replace eboots almost

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't the PS3 have a HOSTS file perchance that could be edited to have these refer back to 127.0.0.1 and satisfy that requirement? I think that would be a simpler way of resolving that.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm confused.

I didn't have to go on a witch hunt for my "backup" loaders.
Same goes for homebrew.
And sifting through website after website looking for and waiting for modified eboots, or... Have the game work right out of the rar file. Tough choice.

The only thing CFW 3.55 has going for it IMO is that Code Unique 3 works on it, and is the only application that takes screenshots in-game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night