Looking for a new phone

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by lefthandsword, Aug 20, 2016.

1. lefthandsword
    OP

lefthandsword GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2015
    Hong Kong
    root
    I lost my Z5 along with most of my data as it flew off my pocket on Space Mountain (secure your stuff before riding a rollercoaster!), I still have my Nexus 5 but I'm looking for a new phone since it's already on life support (broken volume keys+dying battery). Anyone have recommendations for sub-5.2 inch phones below $400 with good software support? I'm considering between OnePlus X, iPhone SE or a Galaxy S5.

I should probably take advantage of Google photos and keep at least one /data backup on my computer in case this happens again.

2. Justinde75

Justinde75 VGM Addict

Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Iwatodai Dorm
    I would recommend a Nexus device, since I had the best experience with them. Samsung devices are badly built and Iphones aren't really customizable (Without Jailbreak). You can easily get a Nexus 6-6p for about 350 (I got my Nexus 6 brand new for 210)

Davidosky99 likes this.
  3. Davidosky99

Davidosky99 Eevee :3

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    @lefthandsword do as @Justinde75 stated, nexus devices are excellent for the price and their specs are top of the line. I would go for the 6/6p.
    I would recommend to you oneplus devices too, as I find their quality soberb and their price point appealing :)
    Also, don't consider
    1-
    ios devices - don't, just don't ,they're not worth even your consideration
    2-samsung , Sony devices or big brand devices - Although nice, they're not worth the price and usually full of bloat and unnecessary stuff that ruin the android experience , and specially for Samsung devices, it's a nightmare to root or flash something custom to it, meaning that you're locked to their bullshit unless you want to void your warranty permanently (Knox bullshit)

Last edited by Davidosky99, Aug 20, 2016
    DaFixer likes this.
  4. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    The new Nexus phones are going to be announced soon, so hold on for them. Worse case scenario, the price of the 5X/6P will drop.

5. mgrev

mgrev Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic

GBAtemp Patron
    mgrev is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 13, 2015
    Norway
    Under Tomato Hentai's stairs
    +1 to this.

6. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    I am going to rebel and say look at Motorola as I personally prefer them for the low bloat and the fact that I personally like the design choices better as a user. In addition I have to say that i find them quite affordable when it comes to price per specs.

7. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    OP wants good support which only means Nexus phones. The support the Moto phones receive have turned to shit since Lenova took over.

mgrev likes this.
  8. lefthandsword
    OP

lefthandsword GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2015
    Hong Kong
    root
    One of the main reason I consider iOS is Apple is better at supporting older devices (5 years vs 18-24 months offered by Android OEMs), but I think it's too restrictive and jailbreaking is getting harder with each major iOS release - at this rate we probably won't see more public JBs releases for actively signed firmwares within the next few years.

Last edited by lefthandsword, Aug 21, 2016
  9. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Well then if that is your case I would probably go for a Nexus. As for Ios, well it is good but if you want to jailbreak then I would just get an Android