Hardware Looking for a hard drive

Rubyheart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure there are other sites better suited for this question, but I figured someone might know the answer here, and it's indirectly related to gaming anyway.

I'm looking for a bluetooth hard drive, or some other way to give my phone extra portable storage without a direct connection. My primary want for this is so I can record more dash cam videos, but after that I'd be able to save more games for emulators as opposed to the handful of games I have now.

Ideally I'd be able to power the drive, throw it in the glovebox, and forget about it until I need to pull the data off. I'm aware that this is probably a silly idea, but I'm looking for more information regardless.

Reactions: Margen67

Rubyheart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I picked up a bigger sd card, but an extra 16gb is hardly the 500gb-2tb I'm looking for.

Still looking for any information I can find for more wireless storage that doesn't need a router or a data plan.

Zanoab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think there are any that use bluetooth (the market is far too narrow if it exists at all).

The easiest way would be to grab a netbook and use bluetooth or wifi. I recommend making sure you could transfer to a computer via bluetooth/wifi first before investing in a netbook.

Rubyheart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, it's a bigger footprint than I was looking for, but not a bad work around. I already have a bluetooth adapter for an old desktop, I could throw that on the netbook for file transfers.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If you have to stick with a phone, you can look into getting one with a larger capacity and expanding it with a high capacity MicroSD card. A quick google search tells me they just came out with a 512GB MicroSD, although the biggest I can see in online stores is 128GB. Still, how long will a single video be that you can't just invest in multiple MicroSD cards and swap as required?

A quick google search tells me iPhone 6 consumes approx 60MB per minute recording video, so 110GB (from 128) will last approx 30 hours (although variable bitrate can affect this). Older phones will use less MB per minute, so a single 128GB MicroSD card can last much longer.

Rubyheart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could swap the sd cards, but that'd mean I'd need to take my battery cover off each time I got in and out of the car. If I was going to do that it would just be easier to use my OTG adapter and plug a drive in each time, but then it'd be hanging off my windshield and I'd still need to physically connect and disconnect it each time. Right now I have Tasker set up so as soon as I put it on my mount, everything just works. It turns on car mode, plays my music, and starts recording, no other extra steps. I want something I can basically set and forget.

Also, I'm fairly certain that iPhones don't have removable storage, so using that as an example for swapping sd cards is silly. [emoji14] I have a Samsung S5 anyway.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I was just looking for the numbers to get an estimate on maximum recording time. A quick google search can't find me the numbers on the SGS5, so you'd have to find out for yourself how much space 1 minute of video consumes (and therefore, how much time a 128GB MicroSD would give you).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F