Hacking Looking for a DS part (digitizer/touchscreen cover)

yourtvlies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,

I posted this question over TehSkeen as well, but I thought someone here may be able to help me as well...

My DSlite touchscreen isn't calibrating correctly - I went so far as to replace the touch screen (or rather, the digitizer that goes over the bottom LCD) without much success.

I've determined that the likely cause of my calibration issue is due to the plastic digitizer overlay having a small dent in it. This is not the touch screen itself, but the plastic window that goes over the touchscreen - it's the part that you actually touch with the stylus.

I'm not a hardcore modder by any means, but in replacing the touch screen's digitizer, I realized there's three layers of the screen....

If you were to see a cross section, it would look something like this:

__(opening for screen)__

yourtvlies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UltraMagnus said:
www.dealextreme.com

Thanks for the quick response - but I've looked there, as well as a number of other places without much luck.
Perhaps I'm just not seeing it, or using the wrong search terms. Can you provide a link to the product itself?

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

yourtvlies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again, but this is the part that I already replaced... what I'm looking for is the the plastic cover that goes over the touchscreen...

I did some googling and dug up a few pictures - this one is the best... you can see the three different parts here:

RepairNdsl5-303x259.jpg

On the bottom is the LCD, the middle layer is the touchscreen itself (aka digitizer, which I have already replaced) and on the top is the part of the screen that I'm looking for.

There's another image here, where the it's called the frame when you mouse over it.

Any ideas?

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sorry..... guess I missed that.

I have had a look, and it does seem odd, dx does not seem to have it.

I guess you could try making one from acetate plastic film (the type used on old style over head projectors), but I have no idea how well this would work

yourtvlies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking about that myself. I think I'll give it a shot - maybe I'll even give Nintendo a call to see what they have to say... I understand they've got great customer service. My DS has long been out of warranty, though.

yourtvlies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like the only way to get what I'm looking for is to replace the entire body - DealExtreme to the rescue!
Judging by the images, it will be included with the rest of the case.

case

sku_14288_3.jpg

Thanks for the guidance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    denpafan @ denpafan: swag