Hacking Looking for a decent tutorial/advice to install cfw

Dopam1ne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Currently have an original 3ds (United Kingdom) running 7.1.0-16E, would be incredibly grateful for any advice as to how to go about installing a decent cfw and updating it to the latest version for online play.

My beloved Mario kart kartridge just died on me, so cfw would make sense as I don't wanna purchase this game twice ofc.
Really am new to the whole 3ds cfw scene, so any advice is more than welcome and greatly appreciated.

Dopam1ne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ty, briefly checked this site out but wasn't sure if it was a good source for my quest to pimp my 3ds out

Dopam1ne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so an update: I followed the guide pretty much to a T and it was ridiculously easy to get all these apps up and running in no time :) managed to even get a few .3ds files and converted them to the .cia format using godmode9, tested them and they were all working flawlessly!
Unfortunately I decided to delete a bunch of demos and then tested out a legit old excitebike game I hadn't played for years......which crashed on me.

After a restart all my custom apps and games I added on the home screen disappeared apart from the basic apps and a couple of games I had previously. Checked the memory card and at first glance it seems to look the same. Pretty tired at the moment so not going to attempt anything until I get some solid advice (and energy) as to how to go about restoring my 3ds to its former glory. Feel way out of my depth to attempt anything without taking any risks, so I thought I'd hopefully get some decent input as to how to proceed from here. Godmode9 is working fine though as far as I can tell.....

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And yes those video guides are so unreliable and often outdated, ty for the link to the site as the tutorial was a breeze to follow.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Dopam1ne,
  1. Copy everything off your SD card onto a computer.
  2. Reformat in FAT32 + 32 KB cluster size with Windows File Explorer or guiformat (if bigger than 32 GB).
    • Conditional: You may format in FAT32 + 64 KB cluster only if the card is 128 GB or larger.
  3. Full Write + Verify Test the empty card with H2testw. Do not skip this step.
  4. Delete the *.h2w test files if the SD card passes.
    • If an error occurs, you may stop the test. Replace the hardware failed card. Go back to step 1 or 2.
    • If you wish for an interpretation of the error, complete the scan and report back with the log.

Reactions: Dopam1ne

Dopam1ne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ty for the info. As I suspected......

Warning: Only 30986 of 30987 MByte tested.
The media is likely to be defective.
30.2 GByte OK (63442944 sectors)
8 MByte DATA LOST (16384 sectors)
Details:8 MByte overwritten (16384 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
0 KByte corrupted (0 sectors)
4 MByte aliased memory (8192 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x000000001c7f8000
Expected: 0x000000001c7f8000
Found: 0x00000001bc3f8000
H2testw version 1.3
Writing speed: 17.3 MByte/s
Reading speed: 18.6 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Ordered a new SD card. How would I proceed once I have the new SD card?

AdamFX990

Confused Humanoid
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Warning: Only 30986 of 30987 MByte tested.
The media is likely to be defective.
30.2 GByte OK (63442944 sectors)
Details:8 MByte overwritten (16384 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
0 KByte corrupted (0 sectors)
4 MByte aliased memory (8192 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x000000001c7f8000
Expected: 0x000000001c7f8000
Found: 0x00000001bc3f8000
H2testw version 1.3
Writing speed: 17.3 MByte/s
Reading speed: 18.6 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

That's rather unlucky :/ Godmode is a bootrom exploit so its just a case of getting the data onto the new SD card.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You're the third person this week who has a real SD card with failed sectors. See these:

What you will do when the replacement SD card comes in.
  1. Discontinue using the current/failed card but don't throw it away just yet in the off chance you need to resort to data recovery.
  2. Format the new card in FAT32 + 32 KB cluster size.*
    • * 64 KB cluster size is optional only if the card is 128 GB or bigger.
  3. Check that replacement card with H2testw for your protection against counterfeit products.
  4. If it passes, delete the *.h2w test files. Copy everything onto the new card.
  5. Backup all your saves + extdata with Checkpoint or JKSM.
  6. For any titles that are missing in HOME Menu and their saves/extdata couldn't be backed up with save manager of choice, attempt the guide found in this thread:

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Dopam1ne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so I got hold of a microsd + adaptor, formatted in FAT32 32kb, checked it with h2testw and it seems fine. I then copied all my data from the back up I made of the faulty card and my apps and games are still missing. When I use godmode9 I can see the files though.
How do I proceed from here? I feel a bit lost looking at the guide to recover, and I'm not bothered about recovering any saves btw if its any easier to get back up and running.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I got hold of a microsd + adaptor, formatted in FAT32 32kb, checked it with h2testw and it seems fine. I then copied all my data from the back up I made of the faulty card and my apps and games are still missing. When I use godmode9 I can see the files though.
How do I proceed from here? I feel a bit lost looking at the guide to recover, and I'm not bothered about recovering any saves btw if its any easier to get back up and running.

1. Back up the saves + extdata for games still on HOME Menu using Checkpoint or JKSM.

2. Go to this directory and copy the 00040000 subfolder over to your computer.
  • sdmc:/Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1>/title/

3. The files you want to keep are those named 00000001.sav in their original locations.
In Windows File Explorer viewing the copied 00040000 subfolder, search for files with these extensions and delete them:
  • *.app / *.cmd / *.tmd

4. In GodMode9, mass dump all games, DLCs, and updates into *.cia files:

5. Reinstall the *.cia titles with FBI to restore their tickets.

6. Launch each game once and take a look in whichever save manager of your choice. Make sure they're recognized. Do not make backups at this time.

7. Cut and paste the 00040000 subfolder from step 3 over to its directory on the SD card. You want to overwrite back all the *.sav files.

8. Do not launch any games when you boot HOME Menu. Go straight to the save manager and backup all the saves + extdata.
  • Back up is require to reset secure values for games with anti-cheat protection.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: E1ite007

Dopam1ne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hey thanks for the prompt reply! I have no saves worth saving anyways and checkpoint, fbi
, anemone etc are not on the home screen anymore, the home screen looks the same without the sd card in as it does when its in. All I have access to on the home menu are basic apps and zelda four swords.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey thanks for the prompt reply! I have no saves worth saving anyways and checkpoint, fbi
, anemone etc are not on the home screen anymore, the home screen looks the same without the sd card in as it does when its in. All I have access to on the home menu are basic apps and zelda four swords.
Use this CFW starter kit to quickly repopulate popular homebrew apps you might have lost.

If you really don't care for any of your saves, all you need to follow are steps 4 and 5 from the above post.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1