Looking for a complex SDAT using game to undub

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by FAST6191, Oct 21, 2008.

Oct 21, 2008
  1. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Having been around this hacking game for long enough now I am fairly sure I will live to regret this one but specifically I am looking for a game to undub that does not work with the simple method of
    1)extract Japanese sound_data.sdat file using tool of choice (ndstool or frontends, nitroexplorer, ndsts, crystaltile2.....)
    2)insert into US/European rom using same technique.

I would rather not have to do it for it only to come down to the fact your cart/the game does not play well with ndstool (it is the tool behind DSLazy and DSBuff if you were unaware) but I can tell those easily enough.

Note it has to SDAT, I know only a few games lack it and some of those have had an undub called for but has to be SDAT.

Backstory.
    Stickied at the top of the forum is a thread containing a bunch of hacking info. Over the last few weeks (months?) I have been rewriting them (it stands around 58000 words at this time give or take a 1000 for sections of hexadecimal), presently only a small section on the actual implementations of the BIOS decompression algorithms of the GBA/DS (theory and general examples are done), the GBA video hardware layout (background wise and some of the more basic stuff), the tail end of the DS 3d hardware (vertice arrangement diagrams in polygon strips), NSMBD example hacking (the nitroSDK 3d format), a couple of ASM hacks (fairly trivial) and the reason I am here.
    I have a couple of sound hacks/discussion sections but I lack a complex undub (one where the sound format/layout is different between regions), rather than recreate an existing one or scour the roms for a throwaway I thought I would volunteer my services to a undub.

So I am taking requests.

I do not care how popular, how new, how old, how stupid.... the game is. It just needs to allow me to demonstrate alterations to the SDAT file system pertaining to an undub.

Requests will be looked at up until I do it (which will probably be either 12 hours from now or 48 hours from now depending on what I decide to write about first).

If nothing else I will do a file swap (Warioware touched is good candidate for this one) or just recode Castlevania - Portrait of Ruin (the game has the original dub in it that you can swap by pressing buttons: http://mycheats.1up.com/list/cheat/3149826...uin/nintendo_ds ).

2. Noitora

Member Noitora ::

Greece
    I don't remember any particular games now...I'll notify you if I find any [​IMG]

3. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    The Japanese and English releases of the new Castlevania game both use exactly the same SDAT (I did a hex compare), and they let you choose the spoken language in-game. You are not able to change that setting before the intro however, so you always get the English dialog in the English release. Either the game code or the SDAT will need to be hacked to get the Japanese dialog to play during the English intro.

Another similar case is Puyo Pop Fever. It contains both the Japanese and English test and voices, but you can't select English text and Japanese voices, it's one setting for both. I tried swapping the SDAT from the JP release, but it didn't undub it. Of course, no one cares about that game because of the wonderful translation project for Puyo Puyo 15th Anniversary.

4. snakemeat

Member snakemeat Member

Just out of curiosity, are you aiming to create an SDAT rebuilding application? Or is this a manual process you'd like to experiment with?

5. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I tend to work with a hex editor, copy /b and a spreadsheet. There a few fairly early stage rebuilding applications over at the tahaxan forums though (kiwi.ds made one and then incorporated the functionality into his general purpose tool):
    http://tahaxan.arcnor.com/index.php?option...f&Itemid=29

@Destructobot thanks, that more or less comes under the other example hack I did for tetris to allow different audio to play (I just redid my old play classic theme all the time and covered it in detail). What I am aiming for was a sound file where the US/Euro release got "cut" (or even expanded) so as to detail compare and a remake rather than altering pointers.
    I considered looking at phoenix wright/gyakuten saiban though as I think it may be what I want (I will feel bad though as those games have a pretty damn good dub/localisation).
    Failing that I will detail a few proper swaps/replacements.

6. Raven Darkheart

Member Raven Darkheart The Radioactive Flamer

United States
    the megaman platform games......advent 2?

7. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    IIRC, that game doesn't use SDAT for the sound.

8. Raven Darkheart

Member Raven Darkheart The Radioactive Flamer

United States
    werent the files broken up into smaller files? i saw an old attenpt to undub that burned out...

but i could be wrong

9. RadioShadow

Member RadioShadow GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I would suggest trying Gyakuten Saiban 4 and Apollo Justice, although that is more of a swap of the JP voices with US ones.

Or, try Gyakuten Saiban 2 (has Japanese and English voices) and compare it with Phoenix Wright Justice For All - EU Version (has English, French and German voices). That might be what you're looking for right?

PS: Mia's English dub sucked by the way. It sounds like she is saying 'Ubjection!' XD