Android Looking for a Android phone that works on Tmobile (no data)

Wombo Combo

That Ain't Falco
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking to look for a decent phone that will work on T-mobile looking to buy on ebay or somewhere I don't have a data plan and I know alot of phones require a data plan to activate the phone. All I am going to use it for is text and phone and occasonial wifi connection. So any android phones that you have experience with that don't require a data plan to activate and work? T-mobile US

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't live in the US, but I just want to aid your search. According to my research, T-Mobile is GSM. That limits you to getting a phone with a SIM card slot, designed for AT&T or T-Mobile (an AT&T phone would need to be unlocked though). Another option is getting an unlocked phone from out of the US.
But in either case, I'm pretty sure you don't require a data plan on any phone (it's a nice thing to have though
tongue.gif
). I can use my phone without the SIM card, connected to Wi-fi and disconnected from the phone network and the data network.

I was going to suggest an Xperia Play (an unlocked non-US one, since the Verizon Play isn't GSM), but since you seem to only want one for basic stuff, I'll just let somebody else answer your question for you.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im pretty sure the sidekick is the only android phone that doesnt require a data plan. If not that phone im fairly sure that t mobile has one android phone that doesn't require a data plan

Also, t mobile and at&t use different frequencies for 3g, they aren't interoperable unless you want to be stuck on 2g

And if you do go for an unlocked phone, just make sure it supports AWS

serenade.63

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently signed up with T-mobile and thought I'd be able to do the same thing, a cheap android phone that doesnt need a data plan... however a salesman at a T-mobile store showed me the phones that dont need a data plan... while they are technically smart phones with android os.... they are complete shit... good news is T-mobiles data plans are cheap cheap cheap cheap!

Jotokun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wombo Combo said:
Looking to look for a decent phone that will work on T-mobile looking to buy on ebay or somewhere I don't have a data plan and I know alot of phones require a data plan to activate the phone. All I am going to use it for is text and phone and occasonial wifi connection. So any android phones that you have experience with that don't require a data plan to activate and work? T-mobile US

Unless they've changed their policy very recently, you should be able to use any unlocked or (US) T-Mobile smartphone without a data plan, so long as you buy it from a 3rd party(ex. not a T-Mobile store or T-Mobile reseller) or pay full price (that is, not the contract discount). I would recommend the Nexus One or Nexus S mainly because they run stock android, but there are plenty of options to choose from.

A small warning though, dont get a T-Mobile G1. Not only is it horribly dated, it requires a data plan to set up if its been factory reset. Just a warning, since its going to be one of the cheapest android phones you'll see on the used market.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
All Android devices do not require a data plan in order to "activate". During the initial setup, many manufacturers conveniently place a setting in there to disable 3G/HSDPA+/LTE connections so that users without a data plan do not get charged with ridiculous prices. With that gone over with, it definitely indicates that you'd be able to get practically any unlocked device off of eBay and get it to work on T-Mobile.

That being said, T-Mobile (as well as AT&T) run on GSM, as opposed to the CDMA networks ran by all other major US carriers. This puts you at a limitation, as CDMA devices are never compatible with GSM networks. This will promptly cross off all the devices that have come from Verizon, and other US carriers. You're likely going to have to import from an international market for a broader range of phones, or opt for a third-party sold phone from either AT&T or T-Mobile themselves.

It also should be noted that T-Mobile uses an unusual frequency combination for their 3G data network (1700 and 2100), meaning that devices that are compatible with their data network (once you do opt for a data plan) are quite limited. That being said, however, their 2G network runs on a very standard set of frequencies, and thus shouldn't affect you much in picking out a device, as you're not utilizing their 3G data.

With that out of the way, there are plenty of devices to recommend purchasing. If opting for something from T-Mobile themselves, I'd go with their new T-Mobile MyTouch 4G Slide from HTC. Fantastic device from what I've heard.

Wombo Combo

That Ain't Falco
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info everyone really helped me. I was looking on ebay and boy are android phones expensive.

Basically I want something that just works great as a phone and can jump on wifi nothing fancy nothing to play games very basic does not have to be a powerhouse, a cheap android phone is perfect as long as it works.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Wombo Combo said:
Basically I want something that just works great as a phone and can jump on wifi nothing fancy nothing to play games very basic does not have to be a powerhouse, a cheap android phone is perfect as long as it works.
A popular budget device is the ZTE Blade. The Blade has a 600Mhz processor with 512MB RAM, Android 2.1 Eclair (with an upgrade to Android 2.2 Froyo), and a 3.2MP (or 5MP on some models I believe) camera... nothing fancy at all, but does boast many solid capabilities at a very low price. It was priced at $150 last time I checked. That, or you can opt waiting for another month where the ZTE Skate (Blade's successor) will be released with slightly better specs, and running Android 2.3.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==