Lookin for a dance game mat.

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Rydian, Feb 24, 2013.

Feb 24, 2013

Lookin for a dance game mat. by Rydian at 3:23 AM (254 Views / 0 Likes) 1 replies

1. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Pump It Up, not specifically DDR.

I'm looking for a soft mat because it's cheaper, smaller, and I know they're usable for me because I had one for the PS2.

I have three questions though.

• Do those mats that seem DDR-focused but have the other buttons in the diagonals work fine for PUI-mode? I'd prefer to get a mat that can do both modes. Anybody know of any in particular that work with stepmania in both modes?

Things like these...
      www.amazon.com/Energy-Non-Slip-Dance-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B000IBOGI8/
      http://www.amazon.com/Non-Slip-Dancing-Step-Dance-Game/dp/B00964QRRG/

They seem to be missing a center button, thus my concern.

• A while back I had "PIU: Exceed" for the PS2, and the mat worked fine on the PS2. After the disc got scratched up and I moved (keeping the mat), I ordered a PS2->USB adapter for the PC.

Unfortunately it didn't seem to work right, multiple presses were not registered... which is odd because the mat used L1/L2/R1/R2 for the diagonals and X for the center IIRC. (Then I accidentally broke the mat.)

Also I still have the adapter and it works just fine for an official PS2 controller (PS2 and other system emulation on my PC).

So I'm curious if it was just my cheap no-name adapter, or the pad.

• Should I just skip the adapter stuff and get a USB pad?

Seeing as my previous attempt at getting a PIU-capable mat working on the PC failed, I don't want to spend any money without confirmation...

Found another PS2 one.

2. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Pads arrived.

[​IMG]

On the left is the official PS2 mat (like I had originally on the PS2), but with the updated software and dance code entered on plug it seems to work just fine (jumps too).

On the right is a cheap DDR mat I got off amazon, and unfortunately the description was misleading because it said it has non-slip back, when in reality what I got was a mat with normal back, and it came with some non-stick discs to stick on the back... which of course are useless on carpet. XD But the mat itself was $6.19 on Amazon and appears to be functional anyways, so whatever.

Neither mat mapped automatically in SM, but all I had to go was go into the input screen and hit the buttons to set them and all seems fine.