Long-Distance Wii Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by XeroCure, Feb 25, 2009.

Feb 25, 2009
  1. XeroCure
    OP

Newcomer XeroCure Member

United States
    My nephew recently got a Wii for his birthday and I thought I'd help set him up with the current Wii homebrew, one issue being he's half way across the country and I'm talking him through it on the phone. His Wii came with system menu 3.4U so I started with helping him downgrade to 3.2U. He borrowed twilight princess from a friend, and he was able to install the homebrew channel. I sent him all the necessary files to downgrade (IOS16, IOS and CIOS downgrader, wad manager and wad manager for IOS16). After a couple hours on the phone I had him running 3.2U w/ starfall hacks. He's installed the newest CIOS from waninkoko, and it appears that all homebrew is working in the homebrew channel.

Now I Decided to set him up with the Gamma backup loader channel... I sent him a auto-launch Gamma loader wad that I've used and he was able to install it. He downloaded CoD: WaW from the same torrent I had, and I made sure he burned it to a DVD-R with IMGBurn @4x speed just like I have been doing. When he tries to load the game using the Gamma loader he says nothing happens. Frustrated with that outcome I sent him CIOSCORP w/ the installer for him to run. After installing CIOSCORP when the disc channel goes to load the disc it eventually gives the "Unable to Read Disc" error. [​IMG]

At this point I'm fairly certain it isn't the Wii, and that it may be the DVD. I've gone over it with him.. he's using the same .iso I used (that worked flawlessly) and with the same settings in IMGBurn. Is there anything special about downgrading from 3.4U, other than needing to run IOS downgrader and having to use IOS16 to install the CIOS? Any suggestions on what I could possibly have him try to get the game working would be appreciated. [​IMG]

2. XeroCure
    OP

Newcomer XeroCure Member

United States
    I asked him for some more information on which discs he's been burning on:
    -Corner Office, DVD-R, Up to 16x from Walgreens

Is this possibly an incompatible disc?

3. Valgreen

Member Valgreen GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    get him to try a non-value brand DVD.... the wii is notorius for not reading value brand discs...

HP, Sony, Verbatim all make excellent discs....

4. Untouchable757

Newcomer Untouchable757 Advanced Member

United States
    yeah tell him to step his disc game up

5. BryceOne

BryceOne Newbie

I dont know about that brand but it's possible the Wii doesn't like that brand of discs. I basically had the same issue, my nephew lives about 400 miles away. I mailed him a memory stick with everything he needed (including some emulators and WiiWare WADs). I included a few already burned DVDRs that I had tested so he would have something to try it with. I would suggest your nephew try burning the game one more time. We all know the game works, but the first time I ever burned that game, it didn't work for me. 2nd burn was perfect.

6. xDarkElement

Member xDarkElement GBAtemp Regular

United States
    why are people using starfall these days, preloader is like a way better alternative

7. SirTempest

Member SirTempest GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    what brand of dvd-r did he use? the wii is very picky with these discs. i know, that my wii likes the verbatim dvd-r which are produced in taiwan

ups: i shouldn't open threads and go away for 15 mins ;-)

8. games2007

Member games2007 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Bah, idk.
    Mail yourself there?

9. Valgreen

Member Valgreen GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    this fully sounds like a media issue....get him to try a different brand of disc... OR send him one of your working backups.. then you will know that the backup for sure works on a modded system...