Logitech G15 WMP Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Wizerzak, Feb 20, 2011.

Feb 20, 2011

Logitech G15 WMP Problem by Wizerzak at 10:02 PM (1,483 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. Wizerzak
    OP

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    Hi,
    I have a Logitech G15 keyboard on my PC and ever since i've had it i've had some problems. BTW it looks like this if there's more than one version or w/e:
    [​IMG]

The keyboard's great, especially when you have the software running but i only turn that on for games.
    Anyway, when you have the software running and you click on a video or audio file it will start playing it but without actually opening WMP. The only to get it to open is to actually run the program without linking to it through another file. This is alright when the software is running as i can see the info on the logitech display but when it's not running it still does the same thing, as if the software was running.

So my question is, how can you get WMP to actually open up when you click a file with the keyboard still plugged in?
    But, if this is not possible how can you completely disable the keyboard without obviously loosing the basic functionality of a normal keyboard? - Though i would rather not pick this option as i would loose the volume control on the keyboard which i use a lot while in a full-screen game.

Thanks,
    Wizzerzak

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    EDIT: Probably worth mentioning, the v1 G15 is blue with a flip-out screen and extra macro buttons. The v2 G15 is orange, as pictured.

I'm not entirely sure exactly what you're asking, so I'll try and explain what I know.

The "Logitech Media Display" plugin is usually always active, however it's hidden until it has something to display (i.e. a media file from one of the supported media programs - WMP, WinAmp, iTunes, RealPlayer, etc). If you start playing music, it should by default force the Media Display plugin to show up on the screen. To answer another question, Logitech Media Display is not supposed to take over file associations, so opening a music file will use WMP to play it (if WMP is the default).

If you want to disable the Media Display plugin, you just go to the "Logitech LCD Manager" program (usually in the taskbar beside the clock), go to Programs, then uncheck the boxes beside the plugin you wish to disable.

As for the media controls, they operate independantly. No matter what program or plugin is operating, the media and volume controls will just work as normal.

3. Wizerzak
    OP

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    right yh i sorta figured that but that made it clearer. what i mean is, to get all the macros and 'G1' 'G2' 'G3' etc... buttons to work you have to have the 'Logitech Gaming Software 7.0' program running on your PC. This is also ture for anything other than the G15 logo (as shown above) to be displayed on the keyboard's screen.
    So i figured that if i closed the G15 program it would also stop the keyboard from playing the music automatically.

BTW i just noticed that a few processes in task manager that startup:
    > WMPSideShowGadget.exe - Windows Media Player Gadget for Windows SideShow capable devices
    > wmpnscfg - Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service Configuration Application
    > wmplayer - Windows Media Player

all of these load at startup.
    If i end one of these, either wmpcfg or WMPSideShowGadget.exe not sure edit: WMPSideShowGadget.exe, it seems to work like normal (ie WMP actually opens when i play a file)

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Actually that's not quite right (or at least, I have a different setup). For the macros to work, you need Logitech G-series Key Profiler running, and for the LCD display to work, you need Logitech LCD Manager running. Again, neither relates to the use of the media/volume buttons (which are handled by HID drivers), so you can end both processes and the buttons would still function as normal. FYI, the latest version seems to be v3.06.109.

Also the task relating to the WMP plugin is LCDMedia.exe.