Loading slow after softmod...mod or media?

xeroforce

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello community,

I tried to do some digging on this topic but found nothing relevant. I recently successfully softmodded my original xbox. After doing so, however, loading times increased significantly. I was wondering if this was due to a bad laser, bad media, or bad dashboard. I had no problems loading prior to this. I burned an image (of a game that I legally own) at 4x using imgburn with no layer break. From what I gather that is the best method. Any suggestions would be welcome.

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello community,

I tried to do some digging on this topic but found nothing relevant. I recently successfully softmodded my original xbox. After doing so, however, loading times increased significantly. I was wondering if this was due to a bad laser, bad media, or bad dashboard. I had no problems loading prior to this. I burned an image (of a game that I legally own) at 4x using imgburn with no layer break. From what I gather that is the best method. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Try using a non-burnt disc and see if there are any slowdowns. If there are, then it is your hardware. If the retail game runs fullspeed, it could be how the discs are being burnt.

Also, make sure that the disc supports write speeds of 4x. The packaging you bought it with will say so, the disc might have "4X" written on the cover side, or the image burning software will say so. I use ImgBurn and the program shows the supported write speeds in a list.

xeroforce

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try using a non-burnt disc and see if there are any slowdowns. If there are, then it is your hardware. If the retail game runs fullspeed, it could be how the discs are being burnt.

Also, make sure that the disc supports write speeds of 4x. The packaging you bought it with will say so, the disc might have "4X" written on the cover side, or the image burning software will say so. I use ImgBurn and the program shows the supported write speeds in a list.

Thank you for the response, sorry it has taken so long to get back. I am still having problems running the backup copies of my owned retail games. I tried using verbatim media, which unfortunately was only rated for x6 speed. I have ordered 3 x4 disks from amazon just to test it out. Is it possible that the installation of the modded firmware is no good? I was running 5.0 but downgraded to 2.1 and was thinking about reinstalling to 5.1. Is there a way to do a "fresh" install of the modded dash?

Thanks in advance.

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just do what you did when installing the softmod the first time. This will "overwrite" the currently existing dashboard/softmod, giving you a fresh start. It will only affect the previous softmod install, nothing else. (Savefiles, DLC, etc)

Also, make sure you are either installing the XBMC dashboard, Evolution-X dashboard, or UnleashX dashboard.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What method did you use to back the games up? A handful of original xbox games had specially made iso file layouts and if you just ripped the files off the disc and assembled the game back up (probably in basic alphabetical order) then it will probably still work but you might have then introduced the need for lots of random seeking and that is never fast.
Alas to rip properly sees the need for a large hard drive as the 5 or so gigs is too small.

xeroforce

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already had the iso files compiled by someone who ripped them, which work fine on another xbox. Since my xbox reads original games fine then I suspect I am doing something wrong. I am going to try the 5.1 install again and I will post the steps I take and give an update.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu