Loading a channel from USB via Forwaders?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Pyrofyr, May 26, 2009.

May 26, 2009
  1. Pyrofyr
    OP

Member Pyrofyr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I've read around and it seems this is possible although I've yet to see a forwarder that does such, so I figure I'll just ask (and this section seems most appriopriate...)

To be perfectly clear I'm looking for a WAD Forwarder that will point to a ELF/DOL on your USB instead of your SD, and open it.

I'm looking for something like this because my SD is so friggin' small (512MB), and my microSD(w/SD Converter) don't work on Wii, however I can convert part of my External HDD to be used as such.

Also, is it possible to use this combined with a Multi-button forwarder? Like the ones used for emulators...

2. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    Well first you will have to change the source of the forwarder .dol to load .dol files from the USB device and compile it, then you need to pack the .wad file (so you can install it as a channel in your menu), and then you can do whatever pleases you...!! [​IMG]

P.D. I have lots of apps on my SD and I can't seem to read the 512MB, what da' hell do you have it full with..?? [​IMG]

3. Pyrofyr
    OP

United States
    Oh, it's not that it's full, it's that I plan to keep it 'clean' so that I can use it for the most part just to install things, I want to keep the permanent ones on my USB.

Also, for compiling it do I just change "SD://" to "USB://" if so, that's so easy... just gotta get all the libraries and compiler now xD

4. ether2802

Mexico
    I haven't seen a source of those forwarder .dol's so I wouldn't know, but it is sort of that easy, you should ask to WiiPower, WiiCrazy or any other guru around here, just to be sure..!! [​IMG]

5. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Like you wrote change "SD://" to "USB://" and you load from USB [​IMG]

6. Pyrofyr
    OP

United States
    Huh, that is so easy then.

Anyone know what I need to compile the forwarder? I tried searching these forums, came up with some basic info, but nothing on what I should use or anything (I have libogc which I seem to need, but not sure if I need more libraries and what compiler to use).

EDIT: woot, after searching I'm fairly sure I just need DevkitPro, which I'm already installing.

Hmm, if I get this set up, my Wii will be exactly how I want it, thanks for the help guys :]

>w< So much better to have things like this, I hate deleting wads later and realizing that I needed them to uninstall programs...

7. ether2802

Mexico
    check at wiibrew.org for the "devkitpro" and it would install the entire enviroment you need to compile, thanks to nIxx (a major guru) for the answer..!! [​IMG]

8. SanzioSan

Newcomer SanzioSan Advanced Member

United States
    Why dont u upgrade to HBC 1.0.2 it supports HD loading. Just put ur .dol or .elf in the apps folder on ur hd and as long as theres no sd card
    inside the apps on ur hd will load

9. ast

Newcomer ast Member

United States
    OR buy a 4 gb sd card for 5 bucks...

10. supagusti

Member supagusti GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    Maybe in 1.0.3 there will be a button to switch the source on demand....? [​IMG]

11. s3phir0th115

Member s3phir0th115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Did you ever get this to work? I would like to be able to load from usb too.

I would get devkitpro and try to find the source code for a forwarder, but it appears that sourceforge is down right now.

Edit: Looks like it's up again. Now I just need to know where the source code for a forwarder may be found. That or just a usb forwarder already made.

12. Dinoguy

Member Dinoguy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    for some reason whenever I used a normal fowarder and I had hombrew channel usb support,it would load the app thru usb if sd not in wii.

13. hundshamer

Member hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I've been looking and researching this subject for awhile now.

I take no credit for this (save for some minor tweaks), but I've have some source code that can:
    -load dol files from USB drive
    -be easily changed to look in a specific folder
    -be configured to multi-boot (each button launches a different program)

I can use the code to make dol files (I've made and tested 6 working ones so far). Seems as if I'm halfway there, but I have a problem. I can't get Wadder or Auto Injectuwad to work to turn the dol files into working channel wad files. I can't even get Wadder to work at all. If I can find someone who is willing to work with me we can make some USB Forwarder channels to post.

As a special bonus it's allowing Wii Engine, which doesn't have SDHC or USB support to boot then load roms from the USB drive. With this I'm assuming it can do the same for other homebrew programs.

If anyone is willing to help PM me and we'll get together and make a thread dedicated to our little project.

14. s3phir0th115

Member s3phir0th115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I actually found something last night that would do something similar, save multiboot. It also tries SD first, and can use config files to change what directory it searches in if need be. It can all be configured in source code though.

I successfully made 3 channels with it, using Zombie's animated channels. I didn't release them though as I don't have his permission to use the animations.