load backups from network share/ net_host in MM

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by dsdork, Jan 5, 2014.

1. dsdork
    OP

dsdork Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2005
    United States
    I searched and can't seem to get a good answer for this. The Beginner's Guide stops just before getting into this topic :blink:
    I'm currently using a fat formatted external drive for playing backups and the 4 gig file size limit is turning out to be a pain. Before I invest in upgrading my 60 gig internal drive, I'd like to explore loading the backups in MM from my home server.

I read somewhere that PS3 Media Server was the server side app. I installed it but I can't find anything but media options in the config. Any advice or links to tutorials?

I'm on Rogero 4.6 + COBRA and the latest MM.

2. Ryupower

Ryupower Brood

Oct 8, 2007
    United States
    it would be TO slow to play games over a network, ps3 wifi is bad ans very slow
    wired might not work aswell
    you MUST have the game installed on the ps3 internal if there files OVER 4gb

dsdork likes this.
  3. KDH

KDH GBAtemp Regular

Apr 26, 2007
    United States
    Kansas
    The Program you need is "ps3netsrv". It's included in the latest multiMAN download. Go here to see how to set it up. It is command line only.

dsdork likes this.
  4. dsdork
    OP

dsdork Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2005
    United States
    Thanks for the prompt and informative responses. I guess I'll setup a slickdeals alert for a cheap 1TB laptop drive. I'll have to read up on moving to a new drive.

5. Tomobobo

Tomobobo Champion.

Nov 26, 2005
    United States
    Don't listen to Ryupower, you can use ps3netsrv and it will work well over the network. You must have a cobra enabled cfw, but you already have that.

6. marcus134

marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 7, 2011
    Canada
    Québec
    you're mixing up ps2 and ps3, the ps3 has gigabit Ethernet which is much faster than the bluray drive or a 5400 rpm laptop drive.

I did a tutorial that got buried out cause of lack of interest
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/prodg-setup-how-to-boot-a-game-from-a-network-location.354580/

I do have to mention that you either need a DEX firmware or rebug rex ( rex let you play CEX games in "dex mode" without patching)

dsdork likes this.
  7. dsdork
    OP

dsdork Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2005
    United States
    THANK YOU!

I have a GB network and ample drive space on a 7200 RPM drive. My issue is that I have a Mac (hackintosh) server. I have a PC I can fire up when I want to play games and have it pull from a mapped drive on the mac I guess.

About the firmware, I've have my ps3 for just over a week so I'm a huge noob. I'll have to read up on "DEX firmware or rebug rex" and see how it compares to what I have with Rogero 4.6 + cobra CFW.

8. marcus134

marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 7, 2011
    Canada
    Québec
    I believe there was another way for cobra user with the cobra cfw+mm and netserv

9. dsdork
    OP

dsdork Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2005
    United States
    I'll take a look and see if I can figure it out. Thanks again!