Where do puyo come from?
OP
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone here been to Japan or studied Japanese? No one really understands the target of this new DSi the way I think it was intended...

LL commonly refers to a language lab, or place of lingual studdies and tools. If you have the a dictionary like the DS kanji dictionary Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten, look up "LL".

In east asia, especially Japan, students carry devices called electronic dictionaries. These allow you to convert between a number of languages easily (English, Japanese, Chinese, often European languages as well) and look up kanji by writing it rather than determining stroke count and radicals.

For poorer students like myself, the DS offers pretty good electronic dictionary software. You can write kanji on the screen and it is identified, converted to English, the works. Electronic dictionaries often look kind of like a DS or one of those sidekick phones, so a DS blends in well.
The DS also offers fun educational/training software so it's good for students to have.

Electronic dictionaries and language / brain training games are much more popular in Japan. The DSi LL appeals to this specific market segment - it comes preloaded with dictionary and educational software, while the screens as more suited to electronic dictionary use and reading. The design uses more classy/professional colors and won't stand out in a classroom.

Games are still fine but won't look as nice with big pixels (debatable), but people who want to play play play already have a system. People interested in the language services are usually more on the fence. This model will probably not come out state-side since we don't use Asian languages or electronic dictionaries so much.

I made this thread because not one person in the previous, closed topic pointed this out. I guess no one on the board who bothered posting is from Japan or that familiar with the culture but the case/screen/stylus design, preloaded software, and "LL" aren't just a coincidence.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No, it means large large!
yaynds.gif

D

Deleted_171835

Interesting....but few will use a video-game system as a substitute for a hand-held dictionary.....:/

Uzumakijl

Trophies
Website
www.uzumakijl.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Looks like a pretty good hypothesis Heran Bago, But still i have to disagree with this:

Heran Bago said:
[...]

Games are still fine but won't look as nice with big pixels (debatable), but people who want to play play play already have a system. People interested in the language services are usually more on the fence. This model will probably not come out state-side since we don't use Asian languages or electronic dictionaries so much.

First of all is more likely that games will look the same, But this will only can confirmed when this revision is released.
Also the bold part..... DSi XL Coming to America early 2010.

Still in addition to what you said it'll come, But not for the same reason as Japan.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
OP
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Uzumakijl said:
Looks like a pretty good hypothesis Heran Bago, But still i have to disagree with this:

First of all is more likely that games will look the same, But this will only can confirmed when this revision is released.
Also the bold part..... DSi XL Coming to America early 2010.

Still in addition to what you said it'll come, But not for the same reason as Japan.
Ahh I see. Hadn't picked up on the US release. Seems they're just going for a really specific market segment in Japan. It might have been the original idea but they think there's enough of a demand for it over here it seems.

Is it still coming with dictionary software here?

Uzumakijl

Trophies
Website
www.uzumakijl.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Heran Bago said:
Ahh I see. Hadn't picked up on the US release. Seems they're just going for a really specific market segment in Japan. It might have been the original idea but they think there's enough of a demand for it over here it seems.

Is it still coming with dictionary software here?

Sorry for the late reply but i was busy.

Well, From what i've read it's coming with Brain Age Express: Arts & Letters, Brain Age Express: Math and "DS Easy Dictionary" (Easy Meikyo Kokugo Dictionary).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1