Live-action 'System Shock' series announced

system shock binge.jpg

System Shock is the latest video game to get the TV adaptation treatment. Developer Nightdive Studios, which is also working on the first title's remake, announced today that they will collaborate with new streaming platform Binge.com to produce a live-action series based on the franchise. Binge.com was itself announced during this year's E3 as a new streaming platform for "creating original series and shows inspired by popular video games". Binge previously announced a partnership with Ubisoft to adapt the Driver video game series. The streaming service is expected to launch in 2022 and will offer "premium content to stream for free on any internet-connected device".

“I’ve always believed that a live-action adaptation of System Shock would be the perfect medium to retell the harrowing story of Citadel station and its rogue AI that subjects the crew to unimaginable horror,” said Stephen Kick, CEO and Founder of Nightdive Studios. “We’re very excited to see the talented team at Binge bring System Shock to life in horrifyingly real and new ways."

The live-action System Shock adaptation will stream exclusively on Binge.com. Allan Ungar will act as producer while Nightdive CEO and Founder Stephen Kick and Larry Kuperman (Director of Business Development) will serve as executive producers.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
a new streaming platform for "creating original series and shows inspired by popular video games"
I can't be the only one wondering who thought this was a good idea. I suppose there are more of those now more than ever what with the likes of Castlevania, The Witcher, Monster Hunter, and so on, but they're not really raking in the dough, are they?

I think it's most likely this platform will fold before releasing anything substantial.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't be the only one wondering who thought this was a good idea. I suppose there are more of those now more than ever what with the likes of Castlevania, The Witcher, Monster Hunter, and so on, but they're not really raking in the dough, are they?

I think it's most likely this platform will fold before releasing anything substantial.
Good chance it probably will, but with any hope the properties will be absorbed into other platforms if they have the potential to be profitable.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Deleted member 471305

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
omelettetuner.dreamwidth.org
XP
Country
Brazil
Exactly what the world needed: Yet another streaming service. Like, why does Binge even need to exist in the first place? If it's all going to be free then why not just put up every Binge series on Youtube where more people are likely to watch them?

A lot easier and cheaper than creating yet another service that will only last like a year tops.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Exactly what the world needed: Yet another streaming service. Like, why does Binge even need to exist in the first place? If it's all going to be free then why not just put up every Binge series on Youtube where more people are likely to watch them?

A lot easier and cheaper than creating yet another service that will only last like a year tops.
They can't sell Youtube's telemetry, can they?
So you go there, and they all type of info from you, including your bust size and how long you can hump a pineapple.

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
interesting how this PREMIUM service will finance itself with no subscriptions.
obviously with ads, and since they can assume that a large part of watchers will be gamers they can at least part tailor the ads!

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Definitely seems like the type of source material you would want a big budget to adapt to a show/movie format, but who knows, maybe they are pouring a lot of cash into this as a way to promote the new platform. I'll reserve judgment until we at least have a trailer to make fun of critique.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Unless it never happens, which is the way these projects tend to go half of the time.
True, it is 50/50 when it comes to projects like this. Either they get announced and never happen or they happen and suck.

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
Honestly, it just looks to me that someone optioned System Shock, and why wouldn't the current rights holder take the money? What chance is there that a Netflix might be interested in a property which has been dead for over 20 years? And if whomever at Night Dive can update their linkedin with a producer credit in a different medium at the end of the day... all the better.

If it doesn't happen, the option expires and someone else might snatch it to do nothing with it again. Some writers probably make their living this way.

All these new streaming services desperately need any content, so... System Shock, sure, whatever. I guess someone over there likes the game, but overall it doesn't matter to them what it is just as long as they have an sf show that's based on a kind of established ip so the shareholders or the owners, or whomever don't get nervous they're creating something completely from scratch. It's a safety net they're able to afford.

Reactions: Kwyjor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It may be visually dated now and is just straight exposition, but the first game's intro cinematic is one of the best of all time:

If they don't at least attempt to recreate it for the show, they've already failed. Maybe bring back the original composer and/or use new renditions of the familiar tracks? Lots of potential, but I'm sure it will be squandered as usual.

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over