Little question about the nand.bin

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Hamstermascot, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Hamstermascot
    OP

Hamstermascot GBAtemp Regular

Mar 1, 2016
    Netherlands
    I'm busy putting an cfw on my friends 3ds, but I came to a slight problem. After going for the nand backup it gives an error on his SD card. It kept doing that even after formatting etc... So I decided to use one of mine to make the backup. Before I continue is it even safe to do?

I know I've had this error myself when I first started but I fixed it after a bit of tinkering. Should I continue using his SD card for it, or should I use one of mine and then transfer the emunand to be safe?

2. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/ - use this tool and do a full backup of your SDCard.
    Format it with something like Guiformat from Ridgecrop.

Do the downgrade or what you now are trying to do with your SDCard. It's safer not to mix two differents 3DSes. Mistakes are easily made.

After you guys are done, copy the files from your sdcard to his. I would suggest formatting his first with guiformat as well.

3. Hamstermascot
    OP

Mar 1, 2016
    Netherlands
    Oh don't get me wrong. I already did the downgrade for him and I was busy with preparing it for rxTools. The SD card I used was a reserve of mine that I reformatted and copied the contents from his sd card to that one. I already have it personally and I only used an sd card of mine to make a nand backup. I don't think it could damage anything I just installed rxTools and emunand using his own SD card? Atleast not a brick possibillity only an error that will mention that something isn't right.

the SDcard I used is just the 4gb standard one you get with an o3ds/2ds and he can keep that one for all I care. I was just wondering what was safer to do. Using his own 32gb SDcard or my 4gb SD card and then transfer the emunand?

[edit] Probably something wrong with his SD card, since he got a black screen when trying to boot into emunand and can't restore the emunand, by renaming the nand.bin to EmuNAND.bin using decrypt9wip to restore it. Mentions that the file is too small. Guess I'll do GUI format and try it out again.

Last edited by Hamstermascot, Mar 31, 2016
  4. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    Out of curiosity, why rxTools? Pretty much all other cfw has surpassed rxTools at this point. I know that's not really answering the question, but I'm curious...

5. Hamstermascot
    OP

Mar 1, 2016
    Netherlands
    rxTools probably the most simple one. AH9L can still brick your system, He got an o3ds and as far as I read up about reinand/aureinand is that it only works on the n3ds. And finally. Don't change what isn't broken. Since rxTools does work on 10.7.