I took the time and compiled a LIST OF GAMES ALREADY OUTthat come recommended from me for the console with reasoning. I KNOW THAT THERE IS AN ESSINTIALS LIST ALREADY! I just figured the essentials is VERY barebones and if somebody forgets to vote for a game, the game gets lost. My list focuses on the good games You can buy without somebody having to vote for them. Also, there us a little description. Here you go:
- ZombiU - This is an exclusive launch title and a fantastic one at that. The definition of survival horror, really. Well developed and wonderfully executed.
- Monster Hunter Tri - This exclusive title is not so exclusive, as it is a port of the Wii game and also has a 3DS port. i recommend the Wii U version because of the visuals and the experience on a big TV.
- New Super Mario Bros. U - Do I really have to state here why a Mario game is always a good thing? This exclusive Title is classic 2D Mario in HD so what more do you want?
- New Super Luigi U - Technically this exclusive is a DLC to the game above but since you can buy it as stand alone version I figured I add it here.
- Scribblenauts Unlimited - This CONSOLE exclusive title combines creativity with excellent execution. It was also released on 3DS and PC but not on any other console. Get this either way!
- Lego City Undercover - This exclusive gem of a game is a fantastic showcase of what the Lego games are. Open world and well made, it provides fun for everyone, even you old diehard hardcorz
- Pikmin 3 - This exclusive sequel to the GameCube games that also saw a Wii release is now out and I HIGHLY recommend it if you even remotely like strategy games. Don't let the cutesy fool you, this game is amazing!
- Game and Wario - This exclusive is a minigame collection with some crazy games. While not as brilliant and creative as the previous versions it is still exceptionally funny!
- Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed - This little gem is a multipaltform title. But out from the console versions, the Wii U version is the best one with an exclusive character (Mii) and the DLC already FOR FREE UNLOCKED so that you can hop right in. And this version also comes for a low price! HIGHLY recommended!
- Need For Speed: Most Wanted U - The best EA game on the system, this is the very definition of how a multiplatform Port should be. With BETTER textures and lighting than the other console versions, all DLC in the game included and new features and tweaks - if you like Need for Speed, THIS is your game!
- The Amazing Spider-Man: Ultimate Edition - Another fine example of a multiplatform port, this game also comes with all DLC included and the second screen is implemented well in this movie tie in that is suprisingly well made and enjoyable.
- Resident Evil: Revelations - This multiplatform port of a 3DS game works best on the Wii U simply because it has the second screen setup from the 3DS version. If you never played the 3DS game get this one, it is more like Resident Evil 4 and less like the other, new games that are complete crap.
- Injustice - Gods among us - A multiplatform fighter from the creators of Mortal Kombat with DC characters like batman and Superman.
- Assassin's Creed III - While the other multiplatform AC games are not available on the system, this one is, and so will be the next one.
- Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara - A multiplatform eShop title. This is a classic oldschool arcade beat 'em up. If you like that, get this!
- Little Inferno - A very creative eShop CONSOLE exclusive Title that comes at a cheap prize and comes recommended because of its interesting design.
- Nano Assault Neo - This exclusive eShop game is a simple yet well made vertical scrolling Shoot 'em Up. If you like flying as a spaceship (or in that case nanoship) and blowing up aliens (Microbes) this is your thing!
- Duck Tales Remastered - This multiplatform eShop game is pretty much just the 1989 NES classic with a new coat of paint. It looks and sunds phenomenal though so if you don't have a problem playing the same old game again, give it a shot!
- Batman: Arkham City - This multiplatform game is the sequel to Arkham Asylum, one of the best games this generation. There will also be a prequel titled Batman: Arkham origins for Wii U and other consoles.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II - This multiplatform is part of the well known Call of Duty series of war shooters. Even though this port comes a bit short in terms of features it is still a good game.
- Darksiders II - Another multiplatform port that does not fare as well as on other consoles but if you don't own another console it is still a very solid action adventure.
- Assassin's Creed III - This multiplatform title has the same features on all consoles but Off-Screen play and the map always on the Gamepad help greatly. Also all DLC is available on the system and comes highly recommended.
- Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge - This multiplatform title is an upgraded version of the other console versions and thus comes recommended. This version was also relased on the other consoles but once again if you have no other console it is worth a shot.
- The Wonderful 101 - This EXCLUSIVE title is a very crazy action game. Hard to describe but the demo, which you can download RIGHT NOW on eShop was very cool! Out in September!
- Splinter Cell Blacklist - This multiplatform title promises new stealth gameplay and a thrilling story. Out in September
- The Legend of Zelda - The Wind Waker HD - This exclusive is an enhanced remake of the GameCube game from ten years ago. Gameplay weaknesses have been fixed and some new features have been added. Obviously the visuals got a big overhaul as well. If you liked any Zelda game, if you loved the original or maybe even never played it this is for you. Out in October
- Batman Arkham Origins - Even though this multiplatform title was not developed by the same team that did the others, it is still a prequel to Arkham Asylum and Arkham City.
- Sonic Lost World - The sequel to Sonic Colors is an exclusive for Wii U. there is a 3DS version but it is a different game. Like Sonic Colors before, this seems to be very good. Out in October
- Lego Marvel Super Heroes - This multiplatform title brings the great lego fun and the brilliant Marvel universe together. If you like either of those two things, get it! Out in November
- Assassin's Creed IV - Black Flag - This multiplatform title will probably be as solid as the games that came before. If you never played Assassin's Creed it's also a good entry point as it takes up a new story only very loosely connected to the previous games. Out in November
- Watch_Dogs - This multiplatform title is said to bring new depths to gaming. Not sure what that means but the trailers look very good. out in November.
- Call of Duty Ghosts - Not much to say about this multiplatform title as it is Call of Duty. Out in November
- Super Mario 3D World - The exclusive sequel to the excellent Super Mario 3D Land will bring back the greatness of that game and the diversity in terms of characters and gameplay from Super Mario Bros 2 on NES. Out in December.
- Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - This exclusive sequel to the Wii and 3DS game is again made by Retro Studios. If that isn't enough to make you want to play it, i don't know what is. Out in December
Nintendo completely failed to provide games for the launch period - instead there were a few ugly, cheap and bad 3rd party ports all at launch that did not sell for obvious reasons. If they would have spaced out releases more instead of launching with 28 games at the start, the console would fare MUCH better.
Lucky us Nintendo now finally got the memo and releases a steady stream of games for the rest of the year, one solid game every month to be exact, starting with Pikmin 3 in August, Wonderful 101 in September, Zelda Wind Waker in October, Super Mario 3D World in November and Donkey Kong in December. Then there are exclusive 3rd party titles like the two Sonic games and tons of exclusive Indie stuff of course. And then there are some solid 3rd party multiplatform attempts this year as well, with Assassins Creed, Watch Dogs, Rayman Legends on the Ubisoft Side for September, October and November and other fantastic releases like Duck Tales Remastered,Disney Infinity, Skylanders, Batman: Arkham Origins, Lego Marvel Superheroes to name a few. And of course tons of other multiplatform titles and downloadable games.
Then there is 2014 with Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros, Mario Kart and co already announced.
And don't forget a bunch of great games already out, some that would have benefited from NOT launching during the console launch and instead being spaced out between the months and some launching in between the months. Titles like Sonic and All Star Racing Transformed,Assassins Creed 3, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Zombi U, New Super Mario Bros U, Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition, Darksiders II, Ninja Gaiden III, Lego City Undercover, The Amazing Spider-Man, Resident Evil Revelations.
Sure, most of those titles are ports of older games or games you can already buy on other Systems. But still there is a TON of fun to be had with the Wii U if you take your time looking through the Library.
As said, those are games already out. I have NOT listed a few good games that are sequels to other games that are not available on the Wii U because I usually buy those games on a system where I have the previous parts on. That does not mean they are bad, just that i haven't played the Wii U version. Of all the games mentioned above, I have played them all for at least an hour. (Not all of them on Wii U) With that being said, I guess if you own all those titles you should not have a problem with the console^^