Hardware Linux - What one?!

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What is the best Linux Distribution to use?

I want one which you can customize the look of a lot and i want one with cool effects (3D Cube, windows which are wobbly etc..)

I'll be dual booting it along with Vista YEEEEY!

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ubuntu has a nice fan base, I mean, user base, so that means there'll be a lot of people to help you with anything you want to do.

If you're feeling bad ass and want to customize everything, why don't you just compile everything by yourself?
tongue.gif

cynthia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you have no idea what to do, it would be safe to go for Ubuntu. It has a really simple restricted driver install procedure, and right after that you will get all the bells and whistles of Compiz Fusion. (That's probably what you will want if you want all those 3D effects) Although it sucks to do the detailed configuration to suit your needs.

Actually, pretty much anything would do. It's practically the same stuff when you get to the core. But if it's your first shot, I would definitely go for Ubuntu.

If you want to play tough guy and want to go the hard way, try Gentoo. But only if you have some idea of what trouble you will go through...

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ubuntu is on the 'pretty f***ing awesome side' for graphics and effects. I don't think that will feel natural once you start using it, but still, I guess that's what you're looking for... a show-off PC
smile.gif

IainDS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ubuntu or Linux Mint (based on ubuntu but comes with loads of essentials plus you can access the ubuntu repositories)

dg10050

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd definately suggest Ubuntu for a new user. Great support, and of course Compiz (all of those 3d effects) is enabled by default. Just keep in mind that you may have to install your video card drivers through the Restricted Driver Manager, but that's a easy as clicking a check box and clicking Ok.

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So Ubuntu along with Compiz seems to be the favorite. Can Ubuntu be Themed like windows XP and Vista can?

Ubuntu, and other linux distros, aren't restricted. You can change them however you want, if you have the proper know-how.
There's a lot of different guides on cool effects you can do with your OS. For example, setting the console/terminal/cmd prompt thing as your desktop.

I don't have linux so I'm not very sure, but I think gnome/KDE/whatever you used can be themed.

Also, just out of pure curiosity, why do you want to use linux?
I was thinking about installing linux on my laptop too. But Aquaria put me off.

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So Ubuntu along with Compiz seems to be the favorite. Can Ubuntu be Themed like windows XP and Vista can?

Why would you want to do that?

to make it nice looking >_>

Also, just out of pure curiosity, why do you want to use linux?

Because i want to see what the whole fuss is about and i think it sounds pretty good.

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IMO, ubuntu is almost satisfying all of my needs (easy to use, better fonts, less annoying issues). Just two more version refreshes, and I think I'm switching "entirely".

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
-Deleted-

This is a useless post o.o I suggest TC you go with PCLinuxOS/SAM or Ubuntu/Fedora. PCLinuxOS and SAM both come preinstalled with beryl and use the KDE interface. Ubuntu and/or Fedora both come preinstalled with Compiz Fusion and use the Gnome Interface. There's no best linux distro, it's a matter of opinion.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Go with Ubuntu for a Linux beginner.

If you want KDE go with Kubuntu. You'd want Compiz Fusion over Beryl since Compiz Fusion is the combination of Compiz + Beryl, hence Fusion.

With the amount of users that Ubuntu gets, there are extremely helpful scripts that help to automate some of the more complicated tasks like installing Video drivers, etc.

However, compared to other some distros, Ubuntu is pretty bloated.

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I suggest TC you go with PCLinuxOS/SAM or Ubuntu/Fedora. PCLinuxOS and SAM both come preinstalled with beryl and use the KDE interface. Ubuntu and/or Fedora both come preinstalled with Compiz Fusion and use the Gnome Interface. There's no best linux distro, it's a matter of opinion.

THANK YOU for mentioning PCLinuxOS. It is an all around awesome distro. Fast, easy, clean, pretty, and very customizable.

Also:

why don't you just compile everything by yourself?
tongue.gif

Because i don't know how to......?

QUOTE(Shuny @ Dec 9 2007, 03:19 PM)Windows is the best Linux distribution
tongue.gif

UNLESS there is acually a Linux distribution called windows then:

DO NOT! start a Windows VS Linux VS OS X spam fest.

I didn't make a this topic to make it turn into a spam pit.

youarehere.jpg

Thanks to linkiboy for that image

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Also:

why don't you just compile everything by yourself?
tongue.gif

Because i don't know how to......?

Windows is the best Linux distribution
tongue.gif

UNLESS there is acually a Linux distribution called windows then:

DO NOT! start a Windows VS Linux VS OS X spam fest.

I didn't make a this topic to make it turn into a spam pit.

youarehere.jpg

Thanks to linkiboy for that image

[/quote]

i don't get it. Ok listen "Mewgia": stay out of this topic unless you can answer my question kthxbai.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: hot take: freddy fazbear's pizzeria simulator is peak fnaf