Linux Ubuntu is really, really shit.

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 5,323
  • Replies 37
D

Deleted User

OP
OK, I thought it would be fun today to see if I could use my laptop to dualboot Linux (Ubuntu) and XP.
Hahahahaha. Not fun.

Thanks to Linux, it deleted a really important system file which means I can't run XP anymore
frown.gif

And to make matters worse, Linux isn't even properly installed, meaning I have to run it off a fucking CD, and only have 3gbs to do stuff with.

I HATE YOU LINUX

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
warmijwilfaain said:
OK, I thought it would be fun today to see if I could use my laptop to dualboot Linux (Ubuntu) and XP.
Hahahahaha. Not fun.

Thanks to Linux, it deleted a really important system file which means I can't run XP anymore
frown.gif

And to make matters worse, Linux isn't even properly installed, meaning I have to run it off a fucking CD, and only have 3gbs to do stuff with.

I HATE YOU LINUX
You have 420 posts.

Sounds like you miffed up the Ubuntu install. Better get all your judgments in now before you really try it and hate it based on your own mistakes.

chuckstudios

Putting the pro in procrastination
Trophies
Website
www.schlarp.com
XP
Country
United States
warmijwilfaain said:
Hahahahaha. Not fun.

frown.gif

I HATE YOU LINUX

No offense, but it sounds like it was your fault and not Linux's. If you do the partitioning correctly, Ubuntu should never touch your Windows partition. I've done multiple Linux installs and all of them have succeeded except one (Fedora 6 I believe), but Windows was still able to boot fine.

D

Deleted User

OP
Yup, well, I'm searching for the Windows XP disc. Not right now, but, ugh.

And I did partition the drives before. Apparently.

God knows why.

Dack

Trophies
XP
Country
XP = Are you sure you want to do that?
Linux = Are you sure you meant to do that?

I had a similar thing where I inadvertently booted an Xp install disc on a dual boot system. XP then decided to repair the boot sector without informing me. Goodbye Grub loader as a result.

All OS's have their little 'quirks".

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I easily created a dual boot of an existing Windows XP install and Linux, in this case, Ubuntu from the live CD with no problems. You just have to carefully read the dialog windows for the installer and make sure everything is set up correctly for your system.

j5c077

some old guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
youre really really shit

just because you dont know you to use an OS or work with partitions for that matter doesnt mean its the OS's fault

D

Deleted User

OP
j5c077 said:
youre really really shit

just because you dont know you to use an OS or work with partitions for that matter doesnt mean its the OS's fault

Shut up, you failure.
Er, whoops, I mean, that's your own opinion, please shut your mouth. You are not allowed to state your opinion on the internet.
You don't know anything about how well I can run an OS.
Thank you, bye.

D

Deleted User

OP
RedIce said:
At least now you learned that you are not smart enough to install linux ^^
LOL, doubt that. Maybe just a crappy ISO, or something, because I followed the instructions to the letter =/
So I have no idea what went wrong.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
warmijwilfaain said:
j5c077 said:
youre really really shit

Shut up, you failure.
Er, whoops, I mean, that's your own opinion, please shut your mouth. You are not allowed to state your opinion on the internet.
You don't know anything about how well I can run an OS.
Thank you, bye.

At any rate, I'll say this, its really easy to screw up your system when trying to dual boot an existing drive. Theres risk of your system being fragmented with fragments all over the place. In some cases, making room for a partition can corrupt or delete files if the system is all over the place. Its best to defrag your system before attempting to create a new partition to lower the risk of stray fragments ending up in the section of your hard disk that gets wiped to make room for the new partition.

RedIce

Trophies
Website
zer0z.deviantart.com
XP
Country
A 'crappy ISO' won't make the install fuck up your other partitions.
What i suppose happened was you somehow overwrote the start of a windows partition. What i'd suggest is that you partition your disk using the wizard provided with linux ubuntu, and if i remember correctly, you need one partition for the OS itself and one partition for the swap. A quick google for a ubuntu install guide should reveal the specifics of that.
I use linux for work only, and tbh prefer windows also.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The last Ubuntu version permits you to install a virtual partition of it in shape of images on your Win partition. So even if Ubuntu explodes, Win still runs fine. Why didn't you do that?
ninja.gif

Just use Wubi (it's on the CD, just insert it in Windows), and it's a joke for everyone
biggrin.gif

Uninstalling it is as easy as uninstalling programs, so...

BTW... I've installed a lot of Linux distros and I can't see how it could have damaged a Win system file.

Maybe it's only a MBR thing.

Just try to do "FIXBOOT" or "FIXMBR" from the WinXP recovery. Just google on how to do it
wink.gif

warmijwilfaain said:
I blame the ISO, there is clearly no way I could be at fault despite how I make it sound in the OP. Why on earth would I take responsibility for my actions, when obviously it is the linux at fault.

Ubuntu has an option on its boot menu to check the integrity of the CD to avoid things like that. Have you did that, before installing?
ninja.gif

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
warmijwilfaain said:
Yup, well, I'm searching for the Windows XP disc. Not right now, but, ugh.

And I did partition the drives before. Apparently.

God knows why.
Or maybe you're retarded and saw that your manufacturer already made a (most likely a recovery) second partition so you thought it was ok to go ahead and install Linux on one of them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @genistopitauniverfrocrami, What drugs is this dude on?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    CRAZY HAMBURGER
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @NinStar both nes remix 1 and 2 had some stinkers in there
    +1
    but at least 2 doesn't have sports games
    loved nes remix, but hated having to play Baseball, Tennis and Golf in order to progress
    +1
    or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.
    Yesterday I learned my BD Burner drive can burn CD's at 56X lol
  • cearp @ cearp:
    What stuff were you burning?
    I used to burn tons of dvds (data files) many years ago, but haven't burnt a disk in ages.
    My car actually reads MP3 CD's lol
    So mix CDs for myselt :)
    Pantera, Metallica, Hollywood Undead, Five Finger Death Punch, some others lol
    I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol
    if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i tell ya what, i could go for a fuckin gyro right about now
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I hope your brother is doing ok Mr BakerMan
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool
    +1
    BakerMan yeah me too.... maybe that's gonna be dinner for me there is this place near me I have been dying to try and they have them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I miss usb mp3 players they were shit but at the time a go to
    @The Real Jdbye, I thought about that and I have blank DVD's and Blurays but honestly after like 90 songs I just listen to it a couple of hundred times toss it out and burn something else or have like 2-3 CD's. Florida here the heat in the car tends to ruin the CD's after like a few months even commercial pressed ones don't last too long.
    my music collection is just too big, i require variety
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: my music collection is just too big, i require variety