Libraries folder vanish

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by bradzx, Oct 20, 2013.

1. bradzx
    OP

bradzx x-Darkie-x

Sep 19, 2009
    United States
    Ponyville
    After I use Registry Easy to clean up my computer. I am pretty sure I told you about my computer get crashes when I unplug usb for Easycap. So far no error message pop up or crashes when I unplug usb. After I finish with recording for Camtasia. I notice libraries folder is completely change and not show folder. This is look like.

[​IMG]

I was like.....What did I do? I think this is cause by Registry Easy when I clean up. I did look up the google about libraries folder disappear. I did follow the step. Nothing working. What can I do than their step by step?

I did follow this step.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...install-the-default-libraries?forum=w7itproui

And it is not going well. Any idea I can do? I know there is other way to use the folder from user folder. But I want libraries folder back.

2. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
  3. bradzx
    OP

bradzx x-Darkie-x

Sep 19, 2009
    United States
    Ponyville
  4. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    So deleting those files and then clicking "restore default libraries" does nothing at all?

You did delete the bad library folders, right?

5. bradzx
    OP

bradzx x-Darkie-x

Sep 19, 2009
    United States
    Ponyville
    Yes. When I click restore default libraries, they are back same picture I show. I did delete it.

6. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    Did you try running the system file checker?

Click start, type "cmd" without the quotes, right click "command prompt" in the results list and select Run As Administrator. Type:

sfc /scannow

And let it scan the computer. It may need to reboot it, which it will tell you if it will.

7. bradzx
    OP

bradzx x-Darkie-x

Sep 19, 2009
    United States
    Ponyville
    I am using right now before you mention it. I will update for you when it done.

Sicklyboy likes this.
  8. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    After it finishes, you may need to retry what I had linked, where you delete the files and then click Restore default libraries.

9. bradzx
    OP

bradzx x-Darkie-x

Sep 19, 2009
    United States
    Ponyville
    *groan* It is same thing from picture I has. :'( If there is no other way to get it back, then I have to use old fashion way to open the folder.

10. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    Bad news. You've corrupted your copy of windows. It might not have been your fault, (I got this when my computer lost power while windows updating)
    I found the only solution was to reinstall windows. Make sure to backup everything!
    It's a pain but if you don't do it now you'll run into the LoginPolicy errors later on.

11. bradzx
    OP

bradzx x-Darkie-x

Sep 19, 2009
    United States
    Ponyville
    Corrupted?! How I can reinstall? How I can do backup? Do I have to use my dvd-r for burn backup?

12. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    Well, for one I can say you'd definitely be better off reinstalling Windows, as it may solve many of the other issues you've been having with your computer, but that's not usually something that the average user does. Also, if this is still the laptop that you rented from Aaron's a while back (I don't know if you ever got rid of it for your own personal one or not), they might not be too crazy about you reinstalling Windows on it, you'd have to ask them or check your contract to see what you're allowed to do with it.

That said, assuming you're not going to want to try to reinstall it, I just found this thread on another website (seems first posts have an auto-playing video for non-registered users, so expect loud noises). Post #6 in that thread contains a zip folder with a registry file to install, which has been reported as a successful fix by multiple people there. This is the file. (not sure if a direct link will work, but like I said, it's attached to post #6). Extract that file to your desktop, then run the .reg file that's included. Click "Yes" when it asks if you want to add the contents to your registry. Reboot your computer, then see if your Libraries work again. If they're still showing up as the .libraries-ms files, once again try to delete them and recreate them with the Restore Default Libraries option - it can't hurt anything at this point.

If that doesn't work I can try to look through that thread and help you out according to what they do, tailored to your system, but it does sound to be a good fix.

Edit - Alternatively, if you made a backup with Registry Easy before cleaning the registry, though I assume you did not, you can double click that file to restore your registry to before you cleaned it. That too should fix your problem.

In the future, it's probably a good idea to not use registry cleaners. They tend to cause more harm than good. Common sense and fair knowledge about how your computer works and general computer security and maintenance are going to go much farther than a registry cleaner will.

bradzx likes this.
  13. bradzx
    OP

bradzx x-Darkie-x

Sep 19, 2009
    United States
    Ponyville
    I gave my laptop to my mom. I use computer.

IT WORK!!!! IT BACK!!!! Thank you, bro! :D I think should be keep this for everybody else, just a case. :D

14. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    Glad to hear that worked for you. Took a few different searches to bring that up.

Like I said, it recommend against using registry cleaners/optimizers in the future, as they provide little to no benefit and worst case scenario they cause issues like this or worse.

15. bradzx
    OP

bradzx x-Darkie-x

Sep 19, 2009
    United States
    Ponyville
    Yeah. Thank u for your help to search.

16. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    It will help him for now but in the long run he will eventually have to do a reinstall. The login policy issue always occurs soon after this one. :/ glad it's working for now though!

17. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    The registry cleaner nuked your .library-ms extension handler (it's easy to do - it's a single entry). Your Windows no longer knows how to handle those file types.

Your best bet is to either a) do a system restore to a previous state (that's what system restore does - replaces your registry with a backup copy, nothing else) or b) export the registry entries for that file type from a working copy of Windows 8 and import them into yours.

A reinstall would solve everything, though. Windows 8.1 just came out as well, so maybe it's worth it in that case.

Never use any tools that fuck with your registry.

EDIT - Seems like that answer was a registry file. Damn, I am so fucking good I scare myself sometimes.

18. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    this ^^

19. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!
    Oh hey, how did you fuck up? I've been wanting to get rid of the default libraries forever!