TranceMaster
Trophies
Website
djdynamite.freeforums.org
XP
Country
Arm the Homeless said:
UranusKiller said:
ntfs can't be used in backups ffs, use must have no idea about ntfs, or why wbfs has been solely written for wii!
It can be used. It would just be a stupid choice.

The good thing for it is that you can read it on most computers.
Of course it could be used, but it's completely pointless, stupid, and yes the only good thing is you could read it, as you say most computers can read such FS.
Also why do use recommend ext? there is source available after all, kwiirk knew this, yet did he choose any of these FS? guess not, wonder why?

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Great work shareese, rodries and any other invovled at this
grog.gif
. Although I think I don't realy need it...never found a file that was over 4GB and I wanted to use my Wii for it...but meh, if this happens, I'm now ready
tongue.gif
(And yeah, this is the main point for me of NTFS).

Stil, impressive work, wondering what else Homebrew will enable for the Wii
wink.gif
. This+Working on it+Luck=...?

Dteyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually, NTFS could be used for backups and have the exact same space usage requirements as WBFS.

Instead of ripping the entire disc and storing the game image as an entire ISO, all you need to do is extract the game partition.bin from the ISO only (which is what WBFS does). So instead of storing the entire ISO with updates/etc, you would just have each game's partition.bin file stored on the NTFS drive.

Then the USB Loader just needs a small modification to load from the game's partition.bin instead of the entire ISO file.

Anyways I applaud the efforts of the developers of this, it certainly will make things easier to use in the Wii scene. I agree with all the other statements about NTFS being crap, but as others have said it's sort of a "have to live with it" thing, and being one of the most popular filesystems on the planet right now, it only makes sense that Wii homebrew should be able to read/write to NTFS.

Cheers!
smile.gif

drmarvin

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's what I thought about NTFS/WBFS. Since they would technically strip the image the same way, if you could integrate NTFS and even ext2 support, they would work the same way and people could use whatever they wanted. I don't know if anything else can use ext2 yet, but I know some things, like MPlayer, can use NTFS.

It's all about options, people.

raptor5001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arm the Homeless said:
Even though NTFS is one of the worst filesystems known to man and ext2 would be a much better choice, I think that USB Loaders should support it since you can view the filesystem easily.

Agreed, I hate NTFS, though it is much better than FAT (which is barely even technically a file system, haha), but anything is better than FAT, so that isn't a justification for using it. I would kill to have support for a decent file system, i.e. ext2 support! Though maybe instead of asking, I should get programming, huh? lol

kLiNiKaL

Dr. Greenthumb
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamaica
NTFS is a pile of sloppy wank when it comes to mission and operation critical deployment, anyone who has worked in a server or data centre environment will know that.

there is no way in hell i would trust 1Tb of data to Not That Fuckin Stable (NTFS.)

Toad King

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kLiNiKaL said:
NTFS is a pile of sloppy wank when it comes to mission and operation critical deployment, anyone who has worked in a server or data centre environment will know that.
Are you using your Wii in a server or data center environment?

Seriously, don't listen to these guys. NTFS is widely supported and more than robust enough for homebrew needs. (However, I'm pretty sure game backups need WBFS for more technical reasons.) Pretty much most data loss these days come from failing hard drives, not filesystem errors. Nearly all filesystems have recovery features these days and I only know of one that you can honestly lose lots of saved data from a power outage. *coughreiserfscough*

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Toad King said:
(However, I'm pretty sure game backups need WBFS for more technical reasons.)

No, there is no reason at all for WBFS. It could easily have used FAT, like USB Advance did on the PS2. You just split the file every 2gb. At startup loaded up where all the fragments were (both due to files being split and fragmentation), I think it had a limit to the the number it could cope with, but you just need to defrag the disk if there are too many.

If waninkoko had open sourced cios then it would have at least supported FAT by now, maybe even NTFS. He probably knows this.

raptor5001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Toad King said:
kLiNiKaL said:
Are you using your Wii in a server or data center environment?

Seriously, don't listen to these guys. NTFS is widely supported and more than robust enough for homebrew needs. (However, I'm pretty sure game backups need WBFS for more technical reasons.) Pretty much most data loss these days come from failing hard drives, not filesystem errors. Nearly all filesystems have recovery features these days and I only know of one that you can honestly lose lots of saved data from a power outage. *coughreiserfscough*

The main problem I have with NTFS is fragmentation. If people were using ext2, they wouldn't need to defrag at all. But with FAT and NTFS, I'm going to have to run defrag every few months. Sigh.

And I wouldn't call NTFS "robust." It's really not feature-full, compared to other modern day filesystems.

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
raptor5001 said:
The main problem I have with NTFS is fragmentation. If people were using ext2, they wouldn't need to defrag at all. But with FAT and NTFS, I'm going to have to run defrag every few months. Sigh.

And I wouldn't call NTFS "robust." It's really not feature-full, compared to other modern day filesystems.
defraging a data pure data partition with games you change on a very rare base? fragmentation would only increase access time to the files stored on the drive and that's the least problem with video-files, games and mp3s.

raptor5001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screemer said:
raptor5001 said:

defraging a data pure data partition with games you change on a very rare base? fragmentation would only increase access time to the files stored on the drive and that's the least problem with video-files, games and mp3s.

Here's the deal:
1. Fragmentation results in negative I/O performance.
2. NTFS and FAT32 systems do not handle the fragmentation problem effectively, resulting in a decrease in performance.
3. Given enough time and file creation/move/deletion operations, Wii applications that make use of libntfs will suffer from a decline in performance.

Now, if you plan to copy over 12 games and never change anything on your NTFS drive, then you're fine, you're right. But if are regularly creating, moving around, and deleting stuff, which I assume will happen to a majority of users who will be using an external NTFS drive for their Wii and also their computers, then you are going to want to defrag regularly in order to keep performance issues at bay. Or just not, and suffer from a slower drive. That's all I'm saying.

Dteyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Anyone seriously worried about fragmentation should look into developing an NTFS defrag utility for the Wii. There's a project in the works at linux-ntfs.org called 'ntfsdefrag' that is in the works as part of ntfsprogs. It might provide a starting point once it's finished/released.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: HBD 2U