• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Liberal indoctrination in universities?

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Also, (at least) the American right-wing is quite deceptive. On the one hand, Trump claims he wants more immigration than ever before, on the other hand he constantly offends all kinds of immigrant populations, and let's be honest, the "great again" has a racial component. Furthermore, he introduced a quasi Muslim ban but lets the worst terrorism supporting state of the hook (Saudi Arabia). He either needs to be honest or a therapist.

supersonicwaffle

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There's a truth that right leaning people do their best to deny :

Many right wing ideas are retarded.

I'm not saying participants of the ideology are all idiots, but discussions always strand on "because it is", "it's just like that" or "is only logical". Therefore, I always envision leftists as being the students who become first filled with doubt, but in the end, end up in wisdom because the knowledge that remains is solid enough.
Meanwhile, rightist sit at bars and hold discussions over beers based on perception rather than study. They learn that talking loud and talk down others can pass for winning arguments (heck... You can even become president that way), but end up bitter because science favors actual knowledge rather than rhetoric.

Result : sure, schools are dominated by the left. Not because they're 'indoctrinating', but because the right loves to stigmatise the left to mask their own lack of progress.

... And I get the feeling that some will think I'm attacking them personally. I don't. As I'm writing, I'm thinking of those ideas like xenophobism, denial of the evolution theory and similar dumb ideas. If that fits you... Good for you. But please : don't get personal, okay? (I don't like being proven right in this way)

@notimp gave you an example of entire scientific disciplines where successful peer review hinges on political ideology. I don’t know how it can become clearer than accepting a feminist adaptation of „Mein Kampf“

Lots of what you said is true, the kicker is it’s just as true if you replace right with left.

D

Deleted-401606

Just wanted to have a discussion on this topic that I see mentioned occasionally around the internet. My wife does social media, I do not, but I've noticed this topic is touched on from time to time on fb.
I am not currently enrolled in a school of higher learning (College) and it has been several years since I was on campus so things have probably changed over the years.
Just thought it would be interesting to get people's points of view on what life is like in Universities today with regard to this subject. Or even if you just want to weigh in with your opinion. Also if members have proof to present that liberal bias does indeed exist or by the same token, proof that it does not exist, feel free to share.

I myself am concerned that there may actually be some substance to these claims.

Liberal indoctrination in universities is at the point where they get a large percentage of the student base to buy into liberalism while at the same time getting them to believe that it was their own unique idea.When you are conservative,people tend to call you "uneducated" or "brainwashed".From my perspective you can't be brainwashed if you go against the opinion that they teach in the public university system.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
There is no truly objective truth. ;) (Says perceptional psychology. ;))

So whenever you read an argument, and maybe make it your own, you always take a part of its sociology with you (the social field around it) that is also why in part political views tend to change over a lifetime.

So getting in contact with certain fields or scenes, is not yet brainwashing. Not even getting situated in certain social scenes (Bill Clinton finding a girlfriend that kind of made his political career, Hillary Rodham meeting a certain professor that formed her political view, and understanding of the world, ... ;) Just using the most triggering examples possible for the right, could have used the most triggering for the left (Chicago School, .. ) instead, doesnt matter), and taking over their collective opinions, is actually fine. Its pretty normal and expected. If through all of this (life ;) ) you dont loose your critical/analytical approach to getting to know issues, all the better. But in casual social conversations with your friends, you probably wont keep up your critical analytical stance all the time. Still expected and normal.

Whats not normal, is - if all of a sudden you are shouting "look her up", storming a pizzeria with a gun, or are talking about the Clinton foundation world conspiracy sponsoring all your foes, because they are devil worshippers. ;)

Maybe you see the slight difference here. ;)

Absorption, and assimilation into cultural thought is normal. Also - we only talked about liberal ideals here, not republican vs. democratic, left vs. right. There is a liberal right as well you know? :)

Thats why I mentioned, that later in life political orientation might shift as well, because people get in contact with other ideals, and will get more stability focused, and so on and so forth..

Universities are hopefully most of the time promoting for students to think for themselves. And if they are not (because you are studying law, f.e. ;) ), they are not. But as a result of it, a more liberal mindset - kind of comes with that. But people take it on very willingly. Just tell somone, that the world is open to them, they are the best of the best, they can do whatever they set their mind to - and if they believe it, you'll get a liberal person out of that. ;)

And thats kind of the thinking, that we want at universities. Mostly.

Now. Lets talk about right wing national conservative ideals. :)

Those get born out of - "defending what you have".

In europe we've an OECD study floating around currently, that shows, that in the past 20 years, lower and middle income classes have lost effective wage income (percentages), but they are subjectively happier than before. Thats real brainwashing. ;)

(Or whats needed to save the earth. One or the other.. ;) )

The reason suggested by the study, btw is that we gage our place in the world by comparing our standing with the relative standing of others around. And since the immigration crisis brought us a new set of people that are perceived as 'even lower class' by rightwing nationalists (right wing politics tell them that they are) - they are happy as can be, getting cheated out of their money. ;)

Which is kind of why those rightwing movements are financed by billionaires (as well... :) More so than democratic movements, usually. Because that approach, just works so well.. ;) ).

In the end, people in general are kind of dumb, and get convinced by words, what can I say. :) Democracies can work without having to resort to "old style" propaganda, because PR and marketing work just as well with a "softer" kind of influence approach.

Just be aware, of when you are chanting two syllable word slogans in masses again. Because chances are, that you are brainwashed at that point. If its not a concert of >your favourite band< of course.. ;)

Last edited by notimp,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Lots of what you said is true, the kicker is it’s just as true if you replace right with left.
If that were true, things like climate change would've been accepted as a reality back in the nineties of even eighties,with the vocal minority overshouting the undecided majority of scientists.

I'll grant that left has a monopoly on soft sciences (social studies, gender stuff and so on). But I honestly think this is more due to disinterest in proper study from others.

Reactions: Friendsxix and Xzi

supersonicwaffle

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If that were true, things like climate change would've been accepted as a reality back in the nineties of even eighties,with the vocal minority overshouting the undecided majority of scientists.

I'll grant that left has a monopoly on soft sciences (social studies, gender stuff and so on). But I honestly think this is more due to disinterest in proper study from others.

Correct me if I‘m wrong but I would assume climate change denial of conservatives is pretty much a US thing. I can’t really remember that position having had any traction in Europe or Germany (Germany has for the most part always been overwhelmingly conservative).

I‘ve also been fortunate enough to have attended debates regarding GMO food between scientists and Green Party politicians to have witnessed left wing denial of science first hand.

The studies you admit the left has a strangehold on will deny the effect of genetics in many aspects for their „everything is a social construct“ shtick to have any resemblance of cohesion.

I‘m not arguing that either side is better or worse but painting things as black and white as you are is just telling half the story. There’s plenty of science denial to go around on both sides.

Last edited by supersonicwaffle,
Reactions: DarthDub

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a thing called the Overton Window. It is basically the skewed view of the political climate at the time that can make extreme things appear normal and normal things appear extreme. In the US, what is considered "Conservative" has pulled the Window to the right. An example of this would be the horrible state of healthcare for most in the country. Having to go bankrupt or being denied treatment is unheard of in the rest of 1st (and even some 3rd) world nations and not considered "Liberal" or "Far Left" at all.

Then you need to take into account that there is a trend with students attending most higher ed institutions being more thoughtful of the bigger picture in the world.

Putting these two together results in what seems to be further left-thinking students - where they would probably be considered "middle of the road" at most by Scandinavian standards.

Tortitamal

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I think the higher your education, the less likely you are to be a conservative. This might explain why Colleges and the likes are mostly liberals.

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to have a discussion on this topic that I see mentioned occasionally around the internet. My wife does social media, I do not, but I've noticed this topic is touched on from time to time on fb.
I am not currently enrolled in a school of higher learning (College) and it has been several years since I was on campus so things have probably changed over the years.
Just thought it would be interesting to get people's points of view on what life is like in Universities today with regard to this subject. Or even if you just want to weigh in with your opinion. Also if members have proof to present that liberal bias does indeed exist or by the same token, proof that it does not exist, feel free to share.

I myself am concerned that there may actually be some substance to these claims.
I think I may have found an article with information very similar to what OP posted. At least the first paragraph:
"Students are not the only conservatives on campus hiding their political identity in the closet. Several years ago, Jon Shields and Joshua Dunn interviewed 153 conservative professors for their book, Passing on the Right. In it, the duo say that within the context of college campuses, conservatives are a “stigmatized minority” and cite research suggesting that, in many instances, conservative professors are forced to rely on the same “coping strategies that gays and lesbians have used in the military and other inhospitable work environments.”

Why didn't you go ahead and post more of it to support your beliefs bronx? Thats what were here for. A discussion.
After that first paragraph, the article I found also says
:

"Shields, an associate professor at Claremont McKenna College, in California, is quick to emphasize that the experience of a closeted conservative professor and a closeted gay person are not equivalent. Still, most of the research on closeted behavior in the workplace focuses on the gay and lesbian experience, Shields explains, and he discovered that many of the conservative professors who spoke with him used that same language. Of the more than 150 professors he interviewed, a third admitted that they kept their conservatism a secret or passed themselves off as liberals until they were granted tenure. “They have an identity that is stigmatized in the community they are working in,” Shields says, “so they conceal those identities from those around them. Sometimes that requires outright lying.”

"Climbing the career ladder in academia toward tenure is a years-long undertaking that typically demands that a professor publish scholarly research. This can be a perilous undertaking for young conservative academics who may find themselves being vetted by a left-leaning tenure board. Consider the case of James Miller, an economist at Smith College who arrived on campus in 1996. In hopes of attaining tenure, he taught several classes each semester, cranked out academic articles in reputable journals, and authored a book on game theory. Along the way, he also wrote a few op-eds, including one for National Review in which he asserted that the dominance of liberals in academia skews scholarship to the point that aspiring professors are forced to pursue research pleasing to the liberal gatekeepers, who grant or deny tenure with the ruthlessness of Caesar at the Roman Forum. “Practically the only way for a women’s-studies professor to get a lifetime college appointment,” he wrote, “is for her to contribute to the literature on why America is racist, sexist, and homophobic.”

When Miller came up for tenure the following year, he was denied by two votes. In letters explaining why board members voted for or against Miller, one of the professors wrote that she voted against him because Miller had publicly criticized the economics of tenure policies in his book. Another professor wrote that she found the views expressed in Miller’s National Review op-ed to be disturbing. “They didn’t say I was wrong,” Miller says, still sounding defensive more than a decade later. “They said I shouldn’t have said that.”

Looks to me like these So-Called enlightened left leaning leaders in Colleges aren't teaching them how to think (as they should be), but instead are teaching them What to think.

Last edited by zomborg,
Reactions: Superbronx

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This whole thread is useless if the terms are not defined. What constitutes "conservative" and "liberal"? Fiscally? Socially? Both in conjunction?

D

Deleted-401606

This whole thread is useless if the terms are not defined. What constitutes "conservative" and "liberal"? Fiscally? Socially? Both in conjunction?

Google "difference between conservatives vs liberals" .

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well for starters, Conservatives and progressives (Liberals) have different views about individuals and communities.

Conservatives ask: “What can I do for myself, my family, my community, and my fellow citizens?”

Progressives ask: “What is unfair?” “What am I owed?” “What has offended me today?” “What must my country do for me?”

The traditional American ethic of achievement gives way to the progressive ethic of aggrievement.

As opposed to a variety of individuals making up one American community, progressives seek to place individuals in a variety of competing communities. The first creates unity. The second, identity politics.

Reactions: Superbronx and CORE

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Conservatives ask: “What can I do for myself, my family, my community, and my fellow citizens?”

Progressives ask: “What is unfair?” “What am I owed?” “What has offended me today?” “What must my country do for me?”
More accurately, liberals believe that 'a rising tide raises all ships,' conservatives believe in 'fuck you I got mine.' Or put another way, liberals believe in distribution of resources to benefit the many, conservatives believe in distribution of resources to benefit those few already in power.

Reactions: smile72

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More accurately, liberals believe that 'a rising tide raises all ships,' conservatives believe in 'fuck you I got mine.' Or put another way, liberals believe in distribution of resources to benefit the many, conservatives believe in distribution of resources to benefit those few already in power.
No 2.: Conservatives and progressives have different views about diversity and choice.

For progressives, different ethnicities and gender identities are welcomed but a variety of opinions and ideas are not.

Just look at two areas of public life dominated by the left. On college campuses free speech is under attack. If you’re a conservative working at a social media company or using one of their platforms to share your views, you may find your job eliminated or your account deleted.

And when it comes to choice, progressives love the word, but they don’t want it to apply to our decisions on education, health care, and even how and where we live out our religious faith.

Conservatives take a different approach.

Parents, not the zip code they live in, should choose the school that is best for their child.

We all need health care, but we don’t all need the same kind or same amount. And while people should be free to live as they choose, no one should be forced to endorse or celebrate those choices if it violates their religious beliefs.

Conservatives say people should have choices. Progressives say one political solution fits all.

Reactions: Superbronx and CORE

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Liberals like to think and make decisions for Everyone and those who disagree are Bigots , Hateful , Racists Because Liberals believe they are Morally right. When really they throw all Morals out the Window in favor of do what you want.

Conservatives Have Moral standards intact and are generally more Family Orientated but can be Greedy for Money.

Which is why a Balance is necessary I am in Between.

Last edited by CORE,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
For progressives, different ethnicities and gender identities are welcomed but a variety of opinions and ideas are not.
Progressives are not that complicated. They don't tolerate intolerance, and they don't tolerate sexual contact without consent. I don't know why modern conservatives are so triggered by the very idea of common decency.

Just look at two areas of public life dominated by the left. On college campuses free speech is under attack. If you’re a conservative working at a social media company or using one of their platforms to share your views, you may find your job eliminated or your account deleted.
Gee whiz, since this wasn't happening before, do you think it's maybe worth considering that mainstream conservative viewpoints have become more bigoted and extremist over time?

Nah, it's the children who are wrong. /s

Conservatives say people should have choices. Progressives say one political solution fits all.
Conservatives are literally making a nationwide push against a woman's right to choose right now, this is such a load of bullshit rofl.

Liberals like to think and make decisions for Everyone and those who disagree are Bigots , Hateful , Racists Because Liberals believe they are Morally right.
Completely ignoring what liberals believe in for a moment, conservatives elected a man who fully embodies every last one of the seven deadly sins. Conservatives ceded the moral high ground, liberals didn't have to take it by force.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: VartioArtel

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
right wingers are like lambs to the slaughter now that i think of it I'm leftist think on this....Trump's "Tax cuts" did you see the effects personally, I sure didn't on the other hand didn't Obama give each american like an extra non taxable 2k to stimulate spending? granted bush did too iirc but Obama took note,what I'm saying is Republicans DON'T have your interest at heart only the 1% they do they rather P&S all over the middle class

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Xzi

Obamination What about Bin Laden oh we cast him off to sea so we did not offend Musilims!

Yeah such a great guy F*** USA my Eastern Brethren Comes First OH YES WE CAN!!!

Candace Owens would make a fine President , What do you mean she wont , what is that she is a Right Winger , That Does not matter she is Black and she is a Woman and she has Moral Values and generally seems to care for her Country and people.

Who is the Racist , Sexist Now!!! You like to spin these petty narratives to suit your agenda.

Last edited by CORE,

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do love click-bait titles. "Indoctrination" has such a fun gut-wrenching connotation that just makes you think immediately "How dare they?!" Young people, and teachers are typically very liberal. Thus colleges tend to have liberal leaning philosophies. Shocker... Modern ideals of conservatives vs liberals are painful. Regardless of philosophy you can be lumped in to one of two categories.

Conservatives: You are required to be racist, sexist, and preferably white. No, you can't just be a Capitalist any longer. It doesn't work, make sure to join the NRA.

Liberals: You are required to be offended by everything, and out to change the world. Identify as something new every day, or you're being insensitive, and for the love of god be Vegan for a month every year.

And that's it. You can be one or the other "Us vs Them."

D

Deleted-401606

Also, (at least) the American right-wing is quite deceptive. On the one hand, Trump claims he wants more immigration than ever before, on the other hand he constantly offends all kinds of immigrant populations, and let's be honest, the "great again" has a racial component. Furthermore, he introduced a quasi Muslim ban but lets the worst terrorism supporting state of the hook (Saudi Arabia). He either needs to be honest or a therapist.

Make America Great Again does not have racist connotations.Trump is not a racist as he has Jewish grandchildren and allowed his daughter to marry a Jew.Jews are the number one enemy of people with racist/nazi ideologies.The problem with spreading rhetoric,is that lies get perpetuated by the liberal media and ignorant people spread them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr