Let's talk about Level 5's Guild 01 and 02, and the games found within them

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by YukidaruPunch, Sep 16, 2019.

1. YukidaruPunch
    OP

YukidaruPunch GBAtemp Regular

Oct 24, 2017
    Brazil
    I'm at a bit of a throwback moment, please bear with me.

[​IMG]
    For those unaware, the Guild series was a compilation of smaller games made by different developers and published by Level 5. There are only two titles available, Guild 01 (released in Japan in 2012) and Guild 02 (released in 2013, no physical release). The titles actually contained four and three different games in them respectively, and all of those games have been released in English seperately at the eShop a little time later. I'll talk a little about them, but most of this info might come from Wikipedia. (I'll put them on quotes)

[​IMG]

Arguably the most well-known game in the collection. Crimson Shroud is a dungeon-crawler based on a tabletop RPG where you roll the die for most of the odds of your moves. The game was made by Yasumi Matsuno, of Ogre Battle, Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy XII fame.

(Wikipedia)

[​IMG]

Liberation Maiden is a shooting game made by Goichi Suda (Suda51), of Killer7 and No More Heroes fame.

(Wikipedia)

[​IMG]

Made by Yoot Saito, creator of Dreamcast's Seaman and the Nintendo GameCube microphone-controlled pinball game Odama.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the Guild 02 games:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All of these games either are or seem very different from each other; and I'll be honest, up until now I had no idea a Guild 02 even existed, perhaps because it hadn't received a standalone release as a physical game, with the titles being put up on eShop instead. Crimson Shoud, in all honesty, is one of the reasons I've bought a 3DS, and the only one of the list I've played so far (it's sublime; I love Matsuno's style alongside Sakimoto's music).

What do you guys think about those games? Have you ever played, or even heard about most or some of them? Are there any opinions? Other than Crimson Shroud, Liberation Maiden and Attack of the Friday Monsters (which I've heard very, very little, but I've seen a few recommendations) most of these games remain a mystery to me.

Last edited by YukidaruPunch, Sep 16, 2019
  2. GeekyGuy

GeekyGuy Professional loafer

Former Staff
    Jun 21, 2007
    United States
    I've played Crimson Shroud, Liberation Maiden and Attack of the Friday Monsters, and thought they were all uniquely great. Friday Monsters was just such a breezy breath of fresh air, a nice bit of time to take a break from everything else I was doing at the time. Maiden, I don't think I ever actually finished, though I really did enjoy what I played of it. It's still on my 3DS, and I eventually plan to go back to it at some point. But Crimson Shroud -- man, that game is great! It is such a fantastic example of how writing and gameplay design trump fancy presentation. It was really enjoyable, especially for someone who grew up as a kid when actual book-and-paper games (D&D) were the only form of RPG.

I don't love every game Level-5 puts out, but I sure do love them as a company. There's a lot of creativity that comes out of that place. And these series -- putting smaller developers in the spotlight -- was just a really great thing for them to do, I thought.

YukidaruPunch likes this.
  3. YukidaruPunch
    OP

YukidaruPunch GBAtemp Regular

Oct 24, 2017
    Brazil
    Are you me? This almost reads like something I'd write!

I'm not particularly fond of Level-5 either - which is funny, since it makes these Guild games probably the most interesting output I think they've had. The fact every game seems so unique and not all of them were internally developed is something rather unusual.

Out of all the games listed Crimson Shroud was the only one I played some and I agree with you, the atmosphere in that game is great - so much so that I even forgot it was supposed to be part of a compilation in first place. Liberation Maiden and specially Attack of the Friday Monsters are the other games I'm most interested in out of all those, so it's great to have some impressions and opinions. Thank you!

GeekyGuy likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted