Learning to program

Discussion in 'Computer Programming, Emulation, and Game Modding' started by Isaac, May 14, 2013.

1. Isaac
    OP

Isaac American

Dec 8, 2012
    United States
    Here? Right here? What about, say... over there?
    Well, I decided that when I get out of High School (and maybe college) I want to get into computer programming. I want to be able to write code, I am learning python on my own and i am wondering... Is this a good language to start with? I heard it was easier than most to learn but, Will I be able to branch out and learn other languages? What I 'm trying to ask is it similar enough to others to make it a viable beginning point for a novice. I want to eventually learn c++ and java.

2. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Its a good language to start with, a lot of schools are starting to teach it in first semester programming. Highly recommended.

Once you get pretty good at it, then go to C++ and Java like you mentioned. Learning additional languages isn't that hard after learning the first one well.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  3. Isaac
    OP

Isaac American

Dec 8, 2012
    United States
    Here? Right here? What about, say... over there?
    Thanks, Just wanted to confirm (or deny) whether or not what the internet told me was true...

4. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Man I wish I could code worth peanuts. I think I learned some java in college, but I can't remember haha

5. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    To be honest once you've got a grip of the three fundamentals of programming(sequence, selection and itteration) and grasped the concept of object orientation (where appropriate), it's pretty easy to jump from one programming language to another. It's just a matter of learning said language's syntax.