Learning Japanese - The Nihongo FAQ

Discussion in 'General Tutorials' started by Densetsu, May 1, 2011.

1. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    Is it "reading" as the verb, or is it "reading" as the reading of kanji (on-yomi and Kun-yomi)?

2. Xexyz

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    Reading as the verb, reading more novels and stuff basically.

Issac likes this.
  3. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    I can't test the J-CAT myself, because I have issues with Flash (it's installed, it's allowed, it's updated, I've done everything, but still can't run Flash content on either of my 3 browsers).

Did you take the full test? Or just the sample?

4. Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    I took the whole test. I've had issues with Flash as well. To fix it on Chrome, go to where J-CAT tests for Flash, click here [​IMG] , then go to the "Site Settings". Where it says Flash, put allow. That fixed it for me.

5. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    Trust me, I've tried that as well ;)

Do you feel like writing a mini-review about the test? How was it, did it feel nice and serious, riddled with Engrish, was it worth the time? Describe the experience.

6. Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    There is no English throughout the test, so all the questions are in Japanese.

For me the listening was the easiest part. You hear the question, a clip plays, then the question again with the answers after. The next section (vocab) was pretty easy also, all you had to do was pick the correct reading of a kanji or the usage of the word. The grammar section was pretty difficult for me, as you can tell from my score. There's a blank box in each sentence and you have to pick the correct grammar structure. And the last section was not as bad. You read a passage and pick an answer that is similar to what the passage is trying to convey.

Imo, this test is worth the time. It clearly shows my weak points and my strong points, which I like a lot.

Issac likes this.
  7. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Addict

Nov 11, 2013
    What is this JCAT thingy if I may ask?

8. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    It's a language comprehension test basically. It's free too!
    http://www.j-cat.org/en/

9. fatsquirrel

Nov 11, 2013
    Thanks for the link.
    It says it takes 72h for confirmation..I dont see why thats needed -.-

10. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Not sure if anyone else here took the JLPT in December but the results are now available online since about 10 hours ago.

Issac likes this.
  11. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    To read comincs, watch cartoons, play videogames earlier and do fantranslates, VERY CONVINCING!

12. fatsquirrel

Nov 11, 2013
    He is not among us anymore my laddie. :(

13. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    WAIT, WHAT DO U MEAN?

14. fatsquirrel

Nov 11, 2013
    He passed away.

15. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    oh, that's really surprised me. when and how did it happened?

16. leafeon34

leafeon34 My profile picture is ugly

Sep 30, 2014
    Greece
    Elysium
    I have a few questions about learning Japanese.

- How much of the recommended resources in the intermediate learner's section still holds true today? I'm sure the advice to read manga is just as valid but is there any point buying a physical word dictionary and physical kanji dictionary when Shirabe jisho is already available for free on your phone?

- Is it worth reading Japanese the Manga Way completely? I haven't finished the Genki II textbook (yet) but have taken a look at the contents of Japanese the Manga Way. A lot of the chapters have already been covered in the Genki textbooks. masu, desu, ka, no, suru, no, ga, ha (wa), to, te-forms, negative forms, etc.. Unless someone raises a good reason not to I'll skim through these chapters.

- What is a relatively simple manga to read once finishing the Genki II textbook? How easy is it to obtain in Australia? If it's available at a reasonable price on Amazon or via a Crunchyroll subscription I'll pay for it. If not, I'm willing to turn to... file-sharing.

- In the first post it says that you shouldn't bother learning words that are only relevant to fantasy manga like Bleach and Naruto. Are these manga still worth reading provided you don't go saying words like jinchuri and zanbakto in real life?

- If reading manga is the best method to get fluent in Japanese then what about playing text-heavy colloquially written RPGs? Take The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky for example.

- Would you recommend playing Japan-themed games in Japanese? Okami, The World Ends With You, Fire Emblem: Fates Birthright, etc..

- What Japanese YouTube channels are worth watching? Lately I've been watching That Japanese Man Yuta.