Gaming Learn Japanese Game?

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
my japanese coach.
altough completing that game won't teach you perfect japanese, it will give you a foundation to get an easier start on serious japanese studies.

Nocturnius

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thedicemaster said:
my japanese coach.
altough completing that game won't teach you perfect japanese, it will give you a foundation to get an easier start on serious japanese studies.

Like he said there is one called My Japanese Coach. when you first start it gives you a test. so it knows where to start you off. Its pretty good. It will not make you speak japanese like a pro. but it does give you a understanding and you will know how to read hiragana and such. If you get it. aslo get some books and such and it will help you out alot. I learned how to read and speak enough japanese to get around. I found it to be a easy language to learn :] Kanji is a B*tch tho. so many of them X_x But yea get My Japanese Coach! :]

Classes could help to. or some softwares you can buy will do nicely :]

xalphax

Internet killed the Ponystar.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
12philip12 said:
so if i have that game(my japanese coach) (NOTHING ELSE) (and my ds -- DUH)
could it learn me to learn japanese ''so well'' that i can like play jap ds games (and understand them) ???

no.

it simply is not comprehensive enough.

you will need additional learning material.

Orusaka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Just for fun, let's do this over again.

No game will ever be able to teach you enough Japanese to play games. There just isn't any way that's gonna happen. The casual crowd just isn't interested in learning the 2000+ characters it takes to read proper Japanese.

If you do, however, wish to learn Japanese, and classes are not an option, you should get the Genki textbooks. I used them in my classes, and after having been forced to use other lesser works as well, I can truly say that Genki is the best option. It's great for self-study. Then when you get the books, head on over to http://renshuu.org/, which will drill you in the vocab and characters you learn. 5 years down the road, you may be able to start and dabble in the type of games you are likely to be interested in. Just to make it clear, even the advanced classes in the undergraduate level will not leave even near being able to play something as dense as say, a Japanese RPG.

Good luck

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I've seen him make that post of his before and while I won't say ignore him, I'll say do what YOU think is best for your needs. He's speaking of going much deeper into it as if you wanted to do a full classroom/immersion via video/audio type experience.

The My Japanese Coach will teach you quite a few basic words, grammar, and how to deal with hiragana and katakana, and it also has some of the more basic kanji. The DS title teaches you through speaking, writing, and reading thanks to the combo of the mix of doing the touch panel and mic to get through the barriers. I'd say your best bet is to buy this first if using random free crap from some Japanese language sites online. If you can ace your way through this you have a backbone to really use and then I'd suggest going into the program Orusaka said, but I can also recommend 'Lets Learn Japanese' which is a combo workbook and audio/video combination setup I used for my year of it in college as it was excellent (aced both semesters too.)

xalphax

Internet killed the Ponystar.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
Vampire Hunter D said:
... but I can also recommend 'Lets Learn Japanese' which is a combo workbook and audio/video combination setup I used for my year of it in college as it was excellent (aced both semesters too.)

+1, good stuff!

Orusaka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Personally, I wasn't impressed with My Japanese Coach, but it will teach you some basic Japanese, if you're just in it for the fun, and don't expect to get anywhere anytime soon.

As you say, you'd like to learn to speak some Japanese. This can very easily be accomplished. Japanese is, linguistically speaking, quite an easy language to learn in comparison to most other languages, at least that I have encountered, and God knows I've studies a few by now. However, might I suggest, that if you simply wish to speak, that you may purchase, or download a conversational audio course. It might be more geared towards what you're looking for, if I understand you correctly.

Potentially, My Japanese Coach could be interesting to you, but I feel its haphazard approach to explaining the grammar is ultimately just going to make it harder for you if you intend to study the language more seriously later. However, from a strictly casual viewpoint I imagine it would be fine.

I'm sorry if I mistook you for the average "dude, is there some game that would teach me leet japz skills before the next big jap rpg is out" stereotype. I'd say check out My Japanese Coach; see if you like it.

I'd still say get a text-book and study it casually on your own, though. Just remember to work on vacabulary, whatever you do. The rest will come, but the vocabulary you have to work for. I'd suggest maybe making a list of, say, 10 words a day, then try to memorize them. Even if you forget a lot of them, that still builds over time.

Whatever you choose to I wish you well in your Japanese learning endeavours.

Ein-kun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Other than My Japanese Coach, there're other games that can teach you Japanese, mainly Kanji. Try Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten or the other one, Kagiyama Method or something. These games, though, requires knowledge of both Hiragana and Katakana (as the menu is in Japanese).

You can use it as a guide / Kanji dictionary because the words listed and its meanings are written in English. Plus it will teach you on how to write Kanji words.

But I suggest you get a book (or a cassette something, I still got one
laugh.gif
) and start reading. Sure, learning and playing at the same time is cool, but focusing on one thing, learning, is better.
smile.gif

Good luck!
smile.gif

Nocturnius

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Aside from what I wrote earlier and what other said about books and such. You could try Lets Learn Hiragana and Lets Learn Katakana Books. They are also very good. If you do books and such mostly only then you will just be able to read japanese. You will still not know what it means. You will be like oh I can read that but still you will be like ok so what does it mean? lol. Classes would be awesome. But if its not an option. then I suggest Something Like a rosetta stone? perhaps maybe? So you can know what you are saying and in return you know how to write and read and now you understand what you are writing and reading lol. At first. I learned how to mostly recognize and write hiragana and katakana and pronounce them but i still did not know many of the words i was reading. So I took classes and such to learn how to speak it and such. and now I can read and understand. not perfect. but basic knowledgeable stuff.

Anyways yea. Try My Jap Coach. it wouldn't hurt. :] if you are really serious to learn japanese try and give some thought what I and everyone else before me suggested. Oh Also believe it or not but if you watch Japanese Shows. Like Anime, Dramas, Movies etc. You can learn even more with it while you study (I mean If you study. read books take classes and you watch japanese shows it will help considerably) Also if you get to watch them subbed. You will know what each word they speak means. But sometimes there are some bad subbers. (gotta thank them for trying though).

Sorry If I went off topic lol >.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
My Japanese coach is useful at best, won't teach like a class, sure, but at least it has Dictionary and writing exercise, perfect for beginners like me

My Japanese Coach got:
Kinda comprehensive Dictionary, note that not all words is here, however, you can search an english word in Japanese, Japanese word in romanji, or a japanese word in hiragana

Writing exercise (hiragana, katakana, and those f#$kin' kanjis)

Speaking exercise(not all words got audio)

Step-by-step learning not like a class, but it's step-bystep, as in easy--medium--hard

I took advantage only from the dictionary though lol, but it helps if you want to get a start. However, a class is the best, don't rely on NDS, it wont do much.

Also, there's a homebrew called Japanese training, codename JLTP4, it really helps, since it has:
1. Complete Hiragana and Katakana table, unlockable via comprehensive and thorough training, perfect for remembering them, as well as "ten" and "maru"-ed versions, and example of how it's being used

2. Kanji table, not all, but it helps for the basics, unlcokable via thorough training, perfect for memorizing, complete with how it is read, like, say - (this is NOT a dash!) is read "ichi", like that

3. Writing exercise, note that My Japanese Coach is better at this, but hey, it helps!

4. Easy-medium-hard difficulty in training

5.Vocabulary dictionary and excercise

6. Numbers exercise

Helps in harmony with My Japanese Coach lol, I'm lucky to get a copy, Japanes etraining is hard to come by now, I wonder myself why

Morgawr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Also, I think there's a new DS game that teaches Japanese (not my Jap coach
wink.gif
) coming out for Europe in mid-Feb.. though I'm not 100% sure..

hksmrchan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Orusaka said:

No game will ever be able to teach you enough Japanese to play games. There just isn't any way that's gonna happen. The casual crowd just isn't interested in learning the 2000+ characters it takes to read proper Japanese.

If you do, however, wish to learn Japanese, and classes are not an option, you should get the Genki textbooks. I used them in my classes, and after having been forced to use other lesser works as well, I can truly say that Genki is the best option. It's great for self-study. Then when you get the books, head on over to http://renshuu.org/, which will drill you in the vocab and characters you learn. 5 years down the road, you may be able to start and dabble in the type of games you are likely to be interested in. Just to make it clear, even the advanced classes in the undergraduate level will not leave even near being able to play something as dense as say, a Japanese RPG.

Good luck

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Orusaka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
hksmrchan said:
Orusaka said:

Good luck

There?is?a?Japanese?game?that?teaches?you?kanji.?It?would?like?to?have?a?word?with?you.?Please?sit?down.

This is true. In fact there are several, but they are ultimately useless to most learners. You see, those games assume you already speak Japanese, and know what the words the kanji represent are, so you don't really get anything out of it, lest you actually speak Japanese. They aren't even really useful until post-graduate studies for foreign speakers. One of those games developed with English speakers in mind, though, would be amazing, but that will never happen. There is no market for that product. The number of people studying Japanese who also would actually buy it, would never add up.

jameschristopher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Study everything! Don't look for one or two resources and expect to learn everything from them. When someone asks which book, CD, or computer program is best to learn from, I say, "All of them!" I learned something from every Japanese language-related book I've ever read. Read a lot and you'll learn a lot. I like the book "Rocket Japanese" by Sayaka Matsuura, which gives a nice overview of the language with lots of examples from real manga.

Resources-
Learn Japanese About.com
Video Lessons Youtube.com
Learn Japanese MP3 Audio Lessons

Cheers James

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night