Leak???? OMG

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is assuming the Wii U is even remotely worth as much to Nintendo as the 3DS. It isn't. And also, legit question, because I don't know the answer, but I have a pretty good feeling it will work in favor of a point I'm trying to make: did that patch destroy the 3DS scene?
It didn't, and I'm not disagreeing with anything you have stated. I completely agree with you. I hate private work as much as the next guy. So what if it gets patched? Who's fault is it for updating? Nintendo? The dev of the exploit? No. The person who updated is to blame. If they can't handle setting up a DNS or URL blocking on their Wii U, then it's completely their fault and they have no right to complain.

Last edited by Supster131,

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well the thing is, we don't have that many active developers. That's what is different. CafeOS is rigged with a lot of fucking bugs, I'll tell you that. But the people to exploit said bugs, we just don't have. (well, not many)

I'm glad we have found common ground, because I'd be absolutely insane to disagree with this statement. However, that is exactly why we need some publicity and (what the public would see as) forward movement.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well the thing is, we don't have that many active developers. That's what is different. CafeOS is rigged with a lot of fucking bugs, I'll tell you that. But the people to exploit said bugs, we just don't have. (well, not many)
Probably because its not really worth it piracy is at the crux of anything and if you say otherwise your lying to save face.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rigged? Intentionally? Is this what nikki meant about there being a lot of traps to defuse in IOSU?

MrRean

WiiU Helper / Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably because its not really worth it piracy is at the crux of anything and if you say otherwise your lying to save face.
tbh I don't care about piracy, it's not stopabble, and arguing against it is pretty useless so I don't see why I would lie about it

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Rigged? Intentionally? Is this what nikki meant about there being a lot of traps to defuse in IOSU?
nah, I meant something like "loaded", meaning non-intentional

it's coded in a shitty way

Reactions: Supster131

JustPingo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm okay with sharing thing.
The problem is that when you share unfinished stuff, you generate drama.
memchunkhax2 is a good example.

This is a vague description of a potential exploit.
There is now gonna be a run for who is gonna implement it the fastest, then who is gonna make a redNAND solution. A lot of frustration is gonna touch the developers. Enough to make you leave a scene.

So yeah.

CJB100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think you might be surprised. People love their Nintendo consoles and games. The Wii U stands to be every successful Nintendo home console to date with the major exception of the N64. But even then we have VC and rom injections. And it should be able to emulate Gameboy through DS, it's got the power, and capability with the Gamepad. Even from a piracy standpoint (which I actually really don't support), this console could be greater than the Wii in terms of homebrew scene if the circumstances allow.

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tbh I don't care about piracy, it's not stopabble, and arguing against it is pretty useless so I don't see why I would lie about it

nah, I meant something like "loaded", meaning non-intentional

it's coded in a shitty way
Lmao coded so badly it took us almost 4 years to pirate xD

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you might be surprised. People love their Nintendo consoles and games. The Wii U stands to be every successful Nintendo home console to date with the major exception of the N64. But even then we have VC and rom injections. And it should be able to emulate Gameboy through DS, it's got the power, and capability with the Gamepad. Even from a piracy standpoint (which I actually really don't support), this console could be greater than the Wii in terms of homebrew scene if the circumstances allow.
Trust if this thing had AAA titles more people would turn their attention to it. I guess you could argue GBA on the pad would be kinda bad ass.

CJB100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trust if this thing had AAA titles more people would turn their attention to it.

No doubt. It is dying because of a lack of triple AAA titles from third party developers, though. It has plenty from Nintendo.

I'm okay with sharing thing.
The problem is that when you share unfinished stuff, you generate drama.
memchunkhax2 is a good example.

This is a vague description of a potential exploit.
There is now gonna be a run for who is gonna implement it the fastest, then who is gonna make a redNAND solution. A lot of frustration is gonna touch the developers. Enough to make you leave a scene.

So yeah.

Why would this cause drama. Stop looking at it from the perspective of "I had work that was going to be great and now it won't be for some unknown reason." Instead, look at it from the perspective of teamwork. Yes, someone will be the first to win the race to the implementation. Doesn't mean you can't all work together. That's what happened in the Wii scene. One person cannot do everything here, it's going to be a collaborative effort. One person may hold a higher quality standard (trust me, I know how annoying that can be), but then maybe they can go through and adjust someone's code to be more reliable or polished. Someone might be a workhorse who just works on this non-stop, they can be the one to walk the path first and others can come in and pave the way. That's how it is in the actual industry, too. You have to collaborate with people. It's just too big a task not to.

Last edited by CJB100,

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No doubt. It is dying because of a lack of triple AAA titles from third party developers, though. It has plenty from Nintendo.

Why would this cause drama. Stop looking at it from the perspective of "I had work that was going to be great and now it won't be for some unknown reason." Instead, look at it from the perspective of teamwork. Yes, someone will be the first to win the race to the implementation. Doesn't mean you can't all work together. That's what happened in the Wii scene. One person cannot do everything here, it's going to be a collaborative effort. One person may hold a higher quality standard (trust me, I know how annoying that can be), but then maybe they can go through and adjust someone's code to be more reliable or polished. Someone might be a workhorse who just works on this non-stop, they can be the one for walk the path first and others can come in and pave the way.
This x9000 I've never understood the close minded secretive aspect of this stuff besides exploit patch prevention.

Sammi Husky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There isn't anything wrong with sharing exploits and projects publicly. But you want to at least ship the exploit with something functional so that you can get immediate use out of it for largest audience possible before it does get patched. Now, this has a high high possibility of being patched and forcing people to stress about every possible accidental update scenario until god knows when.

Not to mention all of the drama that follows the accidental updates, which is guaranteed to drive devs away from the scene. Leaving us with pretty much just piracy focused homebrew. I don't care one way or the other about trying to prevent piracy or anything, but when the only incentive for homebrew is to get free games, it stagnates the developer pool imo.

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's sad that this was leaked, but for the love of God stop pretending that you had work that was going to be released. The Wii U was stuck with a kernel exploit for months on 5.3.2 and no one promised any releases. I know none of us is entitled to anything, but please spare us the lies of how things won't work out because of a leak. Nothing will change about the work you're doing except for the fact that more people will be working on something as well. If you wanted to release something, you would've done that or at least provided a proof of concept.

Last edited by insidexdeath, , Reason: Typo
Reactions: Xenon Hacks

JustPingo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@CJB100 That's not what I meant. People (and teams)
are gonna do stuff on there own side. And then when one will get it, others will somehow complain and there will be drama and people pissed off. Whereas when something working gets released, everybody makes that thing better without recreating everything from scratch.

Good night.

KapuDaKoopa

That One Splatoon Dataminer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if this has been said, but @MrRean confirmed this on the Splatoon Modding Hud Discord Chat.
He's known about it for around 1 1/2 years.
He says no one will make an exploit with this...
LETS PROVE HIM WRONG M8S

CJB100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's sad that this was leaked, but for the love of God stop pretending that you had work that was going to be released. The Wii U was stuck with a kernel exploit for months on 5.3.2 and no one promised any releases. I know none of us is entitled to anything, but please spare us the lies of how things won't work out because of a leak. If you wanted to release something, you would've done that or at least provided a proof of concept.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. I know from being a programmer. It's nerve-wracking releasing unfinished products. There really is almost a sense of people coming in and invading your personal space, when in reality they just want to be kept in the loop so they know progress is being made. I'm sure a lot of people did have things they wanted to work on, but that's the nature here. It doesn't ever happen the way you want it to. You have to acknowledge reality and move on.

There isn't anything wrong with sharing exploits and projects publicly. But you want to at least ship the exploit with something functional so that you can get immediate use out of it for largest audience possible before it does get patched. Now, this has a high high possibility of being patched and forcing people to stress about every possible accidental update scenario until god knows when.

Not to mention all of the drama that follows the accidental updates, which is guaranteed to drive devs away from the scene. Leaving us with pretty much just piracy focused homebrew. I don't care one way or the other about trying to prevent piracy or anything, but when the only incentive for homebrew is to get free games, it stagnates the developer pool imo.

This is the first post I've read that I feel like I can understand where people are coming from. I still don't see why people say it drives devs away though. Look, it's only going to drive someone away if they let it. Period.

JustPingo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's sad that this was leaked, but for the love of God stop pretending that you had work that was going to be released. The Wii U was stuck with a kernel exploit for months on 5.3.2 and no one promised any releases. I know none of us is entitled to anything, but please spare us the lies of how things won't work out because of a leak. Nothing will change about the work you're doing except for the fact that more people will be working on something as well. If you wanted to release something, you would've done that or at least provided a proof of concept.

KTM such vapor ware amirite uptop

Reactions: frogboy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Maybe the Amiga or ST version is nice....