becker2384

OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to get a new TV! I'm having a hard time deciding what to get though. I'd like one in the 46-52 inch range. let me know what you think. and hey if you know of anywhere I can get a good deal leave a link or something. Thanks!!
wink.gif

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
It comes down to what you want. Since you're on GBAtemp I'm going to assume you're a gamer, which means you'll likely want an LCD.

Here's the down low: Plasma screens have more vibrant colors, truer colors. But they also suffer from burn-in while LCDs do not.

Burn-in is when, after playing video games (etc), the faint echo of, say, a display menu or an icon can be seen on the TV permanently even after the game has been turned off. Basically the gradual degradation of your TV over time after the playing of video games, DVD, and so on.

Now, if you already knew this, then you likely also knew that newer plasmas have a much much lower chance of getting burn-in than they had in the past. That said, the chance still exists. Even if it's only 00000.01% I'd rather have no burn-in ever than any amount of burn-in sometime down the line.

My personal choice, all that in mind, and as a gamer, is LCD.

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I voted for projection because I had the best time ever when I borrowed one for a party. A wall sized tv is great for Brawl and other games. I would only say this though, if you are able to project the screen to a good size because if you cannot, it really has no other advantage. Of the other choices, I would choose LCD.

redmanmark86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
but plasma it better if your going over 42inches and suffers from less pixelation... im also sure LCD can still get burn in but its just also in the less than 1% region as my brand new dell SW2209 has an LCD burn in cleaning function...

if you dont mind waiting a year i'd wait for the OLED screens to come out
biggrin.gif
, also LCD and Plasma prices will drop then...

cuber351

Trophies
XP
Country
LCDs DO have a chance of burn in
plasmas have less motion blur
plasmas have much better colors
so i voted for plasma

sdavidwh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
LCD all the way, I've had mine nearly 3 years now & it's spot on....i know technology has changed since i bought mine but reading forums & I know someone in the business who owns his own large tv shop & he says the picture may be a little crisper on a plasma but overall he said to stay away from plasma

HTH

Hazey

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
as above AVOID PLASMA they usually COST MORE and prone to Failure!

also read somewhere that some insurance company's will not honour them on their policy's due to the likely hood of failure!

go for LCD or projection

..if its to project onto a wall ...obvious thing would be to make sure you have a clean/clear suitable wall to project onto otherwise its pointless getting one doh!

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Plasma is better for gaming, provided you know about how to burn your set in after you buy it. I binge game when I do play my consoles, and I don't have any image retention.

Other benefits:
NO MOTION BLUR!
NO FLASHLIGHTING!

The power thing is not an issue, honestly. I didn't see any change in my electricity bill that I could attribute to my TV.

OLED TV's, by the way, aren't that great. Their red, green, and blue colors do not age at the same rate. In 2-3 years, you'll start to see the colors shift.

When I buy a new TV in 4-5 years, I might consider LCD, provided they have a grey-to-black, grey-to-white, and white-to-black transition rate of less than 2ms.

imz

GBAtemp's vigilante
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Plasma: the basics
People first started using plasma TVs as far back as 1997, at which time their hang-on-the-wall design was widely hailed as the holy grail of home entertainment.

Plasma pictures are made up of individual pixels, each one of which sits at the front of a tiny chamber filed with gas (a mixture of neon and xenon). At the front of each of these chambers are phosphors, at the rear of each chamber is an electrical source. This electrical source is used to ionise the chamber's gas generating unltraviolet light which excites the phosphors into glowing in the way required by the picture. There are three sub-pixels; red, green and blue - for each plasma dot, giving you a potentially emormous pallette of colours.

Why Buy Plasma?
Grey scale response / contrast - Plasma technology can deliver superior subleties - which means plasmas can generally give you more detail in dark picture areas.

Response Times - Response time is the amount of time, measured in milliseconds, that it takes for a pixel to go from inactive to active and back again. Athough the latest LCD screens have made big improvements in this area, plasma is still considerably better, so its picture quality generally suffers less.

Size - LCD is catching up, but it's still cheaper for manufacturers to use Plasma for really big screen sizes - certainly 42in and above - than it is for them to use LCD. On the other hand, plasma isn't really viable at sizes smaller than 32in.

Viewing Angle - LCD screens frequently boast viewing angles of anywhere upto 175 degrees. But our experience suggests that these figures are very optimistic, as LCD pictures start to lose lots of contrast and colour at angles much less than than those quoted. Pretty much all plasma screens, on the other hand, retain their quality upto around 160 degrees.

Colour Saturation - Plasma traditionally scores high here because of the way it blocks light, turning off pixels when they're not needed so that no stray light can dilute its coulours. With LCD there's always smoe stray light in the mechanism, which adds a greying influence to colours thus makes authentic tones more difficult to see.

LCD: the basics

Contrary to what you might think, LCD technology has been around longer than plasma. It's that plasma affinities with larger screen sizes gave it a head start over LCD, which has only recently started to conquer its size demons and break free of its traditional PC shackles. LCD TVs work like so. A liquid containing individually controlable crystals is suspended between two transparent panels, and when these crystals are activated by voltage , they align themselves so that they either allow a certain amount of light (produced by a fluorescent tube behind the panel) to pass through the panel, or else block it off. Both the lit and unlit crystals create visible pixels that together compose the final image on the screen.

Why Buy LCD?

Screen life - We've seen some industry claims that LCD can last twice as long as plasma (around 40 years at 4hrs a day versus 20 years at 4hrs of use a day). Even though we suspect that such claims show a distinct LCD bias on the part of the source, it does seem that LCD can last a bit longer than plasma.

No screenburn - Plasma screens are suspectible to something called screenburn, which occurs when a bright image, like the sky news logo, is displayed on screen for an extended period of time. The constant saturation 'tires' plasma's phosphors, leaving a permanent shadow of the bright image behind. LCD technology is pretty much immune to this problem.

Slimness - Because there is no need for gas filled or heavy glass fronts in a LCD screen, LCDs tend to be slimmer and lighter than plasmas.

Brightness - LCD technology can generally deliver brighter pictures than a plasma - though more brightness isn't automatically better if it is used to disguise a lack of contrast.

Power consumption - LCDs generally use less power than plasma TVs because they dont need to power hundreds of electrodes to stimulate phosphors.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.