LCD Computer Screen Meets Wii and PS3

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by RedFire128, Dec 23, 2010.

Dec 23, 2010
  1. RedFire128
    OP

Newcomer RedFire128 Member

United States
    So, this topic is somewhat related to the Wii, and it's another question topic.

I have an Acer X222W LCD Screen for my PC, which is at the moment messed up.
    It has two holes for a VGA cable and a DVI cable.

For some reason, the DVI cable is not working so well, and I was using the VGA cable for the PC
    until it got messed up.

Because I have no TV at the moment, I wanted to get a new DVI cable, connect the PC to the screen
    with that when it's fixed, and use the VGA cable for my consoles.

So, I need to find a VGA converter that works for both the PS3 and Wii ,but the problem is I want a
    converter that can also do HDMI, for my PS3.

If that made any sense AT ALL, someone respond to my question. I'm stuck.

2. Rasas

Banned Rasas Banned

United States
    The equipment to do so and get sound from your gaming system is fairly expensive your better off searching your local pawn shop or craigslist for a crt TV for the time being.

If you just want picture all you need is a cable which are fairly easy to find Bestbuy, Amazon, Radioshack etc.

3. Raiser

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    It gets complex. I was in your position before (except with a Wii) and had this huge topic on it.

There is such thing as an HDMI DVI converter.
    Unless your screen has built-in speakers (with would therefore have some sort of audio input), you won't get any audio has DVI doesn't regularly send/receive audio signals.

Also with Wii converters (composite/component VGA), there are no really reliable converters. Only cheap no-name brand ones that do have the occasional problem (lines on screen, color loss, quality loss).

What I did was that I bought a relatively cheap monitor that had inputs for VGA, DVI, Component, Composite, and HDMI. It'd be a bit more expensive than all the equipment you'd require (as Rasas above me has said).

I hope I helped and good luck!

4. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Yep, HDMI only usefull in your setup if your monitor has Speakers.