ROM Hack LayeredFS faster Loading?

ehnoah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So currently we're translating Story of Season,

sadly it has over 500 Files which makes the loading super slow when using the mod as LayeredFS. Is there any way to make the game load fast again?
Like pack the RomFS to an NSP again?

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Like pack the RomFS to an NSP again?
This would limit your release only to pirates and potentially ban anyone who tries to use it.

You can't do much about it. This is how access to physical drive for hundreds of files works instead of blob. It got much slower in recent releases because faster method was causing issues with games containing tens of thousands files.

Last edited by masagrator,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can layeredfs use a romfs file instead of 'loose' files? I feel like it can, but I haven't checked. If so, and if that works out faster, you could include instructions for users who want to repack a romfs file themselves?

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Can layeredfs use a romfs file instead of 'loose' files? I feel like it can, but I haven't checked. If so, and if that works out faster, you could include instructions for users who want to repack a romfs file themselves?
I don't remember any tool that can pack files to romfs.bin (only that you can extract it). So I don't think so. But I will ask on ReSwitched if layeredfs supports romfs blob.
Ofc this would mean that there must be introduced priority if blob and loose files have the same file. And I didn't see anything about this issue.

Last edited by masagrator,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't remember any tool that can pack files to romfs.bin (only that you can extract it). So I don't think so. But I will ask on ReSwitched if layeredfs supports romfs blob.
Ofc this would mean that there must be introduced priority if blob and loose files have the same file. And I didn't see anything about this issue.
I feel like I remember reading that the priority is loose files first, then romfs.bin, then the game's original romfs - however I can't find any layeredfs details in the docs on github so idk where I read this or if I dreamt it.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Okay, found it.

• fs.mitm will parse the base RomFS image for a game, a RomFS image located at /atmosphere/titles/<title ID>/romfs.bin, and all loose files in /atmosphere/titles/<title ID>/romfs/, and merge them together into a single RomFS image.
  • When merging, loose files are preferred to content in the SD card romfs.bin image, and files from the SD card image are preferred to those in the base image.
Now only how to pack to romfs.bin

Reactions: hippy dave

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: im going off now...I'll turn off my brain