Hacking Launch CFW without going into RCM?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People are splitting hairs.

OP is asking if CFW can be accessed without going through RCM at bootup. The answer is no, not at this point.

If you add a button to a joycon and can launch a payload from your phone, then it's way more convenient than deja vu.

Where you need to tether your switch to a device running a custom server, go into eshop, push some buttons, turn the switch off and on.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
If you add a button to a joycon and can launch a payload from your phone, then it's way more convenient than deja vu.

Where you need to tether your switch to a device running a custom server, go into eshop, push some buttons, turn the switch off and on.
Do you know what is even more convenient? Modchip...

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are you saying that is possible to charge the switch after drain battery on RCM?
Did i miss something in this thew days or im a dump understanding this?

from what i know, with autoRCM i cant charge the switch untill i open it and charge the battery manually (?). Am i correct?
The switch can charge during RCM. However with AutoRCM installed, the charge rate is diminished in RCM compared to without AutoRCM installed. Keep in mind I'm only referring to RCM charge rate. Charge rates remain the same everywhere else, AutoRCM or not

eoinzy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If there's a way of bypassing RCM on <4.1.0, then that means it's patched in 4.1.0, yes?

So I wonder if it's already patched out, why they haven't released it publicly.

I thought they only kept it private so Nintendo don't find it, which leaves a known security hole in future FW versions. But if its patched out in 4.1.0, then there must be another reason its kept secret.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This answered my question most clearly, thank you all for your input!

If you install AutoRCM, you will be able to launch RCM mode without a jig, but you will still need to send the payload using a dongle, phone, tablet, or computer.

If you install AutoRCM and solder a chip, most commonly the Trinket M0 right now, in your Switch, you can make it send the payload for you. This means you can boot CFW without using a jig, holding volume up, or using anything external to send a payload. You can just turn your console on like you normally would, and you'd be in CFW.

If you are running on older firmware, or upgraded your firmware but took measures to prevent your eFuses from burning so you could downgrade in the future, there are exploits that will allow you to load CFW without RCM mode. Those are Deja vu and jamais vu, they have been developed but they haven't been released to the public yet. It's advisable to avoid updating your system so that in the future there may be an exploit released that you can use to avoid requiring RCM mode.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I thought they only kept it private so Nintendo don't find it, which leaves a known security hole in future FW versions. But if its patched out in 4.1.0, then there must be another reason its kept secret.

Partially patched, we don't know the details.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If there's a way of bypassing RCM on <4.1.0, then that means it's patched in 4.1.0, yes?

So I wonder if it's already patched out, why they haven't released it publicly.

An exploit chain is made up of multiple parts to get from unhacked to complete taking over of the device. Nintendo stopped the current implementation of one of those parts from working & everybody with the exploit is too busy on other things to look at whether it's possible to easily make it work again.

Releasing it would be like saying "my car stopped, so I scrapped it" without checking it you had run out of fuel.

They want to hold on to as much as possible until mariko is released. There are plenty of exploitable switches in the meantime, with even more when mariko is exploited because the current switches will all end up on ebay as everyone tries to offload them.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How? I thought it was possible only on 1.0.0 atm
https://github.com/pixel-stuck/nereba/ for 1.0.0 and https://github.com/liuervehc/caffeine for 3.0.0 (dunno if it works on 3.x)

Nereba is working only on 1.0.0. This has nothing to do with PegaSwitch which works currently on 1.0.0-4.1.0 (yes, hbmenu is already working on 4.x, but it's in closed beta).
There's a public pegaswitch branch with 4.x support https://github.com/noahc3/pegaswitch

Reactions: Bumblecito

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1