Latency Problems..

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Theraima, Jun 18, 2010.

Jun 18, 2010

Latency Problems.. by Theraima at 7:35 PM (714 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Theraima
    OP

Member Theraima I own this desert, bitches!

Finland
    I played WoW for some while and was unable to raid or do any other stuff, including just idle-ing. Cause of this was my Latency, which sits terribly high, always about 1k-2k. I havent had anything like this before, it used to go 500 maximum. Been like this for a few days now, can anyone help me with this?

2. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Scan your pc for viruses, spyware and malware. Make sure no one on your network is torrenting or using p2p while you are gaming. If all else fails ring your isp. It could be an issue on their end.

3. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    What type of connection do you have?
    Have you tried hooking your computer up directly to the receiver (cable/dsl modem) and still had latency?
    Do you have any other computer that can be connected to the receiver and run a latency test (http://www.pingtest.net/)?

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Also be aware that WoW sometimes chokes up at certain times of the day. I've never seen pings go that high though without there being some kind of p2p program working on one of the comps/laptops.

5. Am0s

Member Am0s Mojo Risin

United Kingdom
    right this problem can be

1) router
    2) server issues
    3) internet routing
    4) downloading while playing or spyware virus's
    5) dsl line over subscribed

I will sumerize the best I can for you

1) reboot the router sometimes routers have issues and switching it off for 30 seconds then powering it up can do it the world of good
    2) client cant do much about it, will have to wait for a server reboot or open a support ticket
    3) this is hard to prove but a traceroute to the server IP will show where your pings are sky rocketing, once you found the pblematic router you have to complain to your ISP, if its beyond their network they dont have to do anything
    4) a few people download using torrents and what not while playing, this causes latency and well dont download or upload while playing, and spyware virus's thats self explanatory
    5) this is well impossible to prove and the latency will be inside your ISP's network, what it means they have sold too many accounts on the pipe you connect on and well thats whats causing the lag, you cant do anything but change ISP

hope this helps some

6. Theraima
    OP

Finland
    Well, what I can tell you guys that Im using Wireless Connection, and its well protected and no one else probably isnt using it.

7. exangel

United States
    okay...
    so you didn't try any of the solutions we offered?
    you didn't do a pingtest or traceroute to see if it's just WoW? You should find specific instructions on running a traceroute to the european WoW servers to resolve latency issues on the blizzard support site.
    what connection type do you have to the internet? Cable, DSL, Fibre Optic?

8. Theraima
    OP

Finland
    @ exangel
    When I put my computers battery usage to the lowest setting the latency in WoW seems to reduce a bit, also the fan of my laptop isnt making as loud noise as it would on balanced setting. With lowest setting I got roughly 400 latency and lowering all the time. Using DSL. Also could it be possible that when my dad uses internet on his computer my latency would go up/down?

[​IMG]

Code:
    traceroute to 88.193.182.18 (88.193.182.18), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
    1ÂÂcsc1-f20-funet-maint1-a (193.166.4.254)ÂÂ0.385 msÂÂ0.284 msÂÂ0.236 ms
    2ÂÂcsc4-g1200-csc1 (193.166.255.249)ÂÂ0.739 msÂÂ0.720 msÂÂ0.738 ms
    3ÂÂhelsinki6-g11040-csc4 (193.166.187.185)ÂÂ1.238 msÂÂ1.238 msÂÂ0.998 ms
    4ÂÂhelsinki0-g0100-helsinki6 (193.166.255.146)ÂÂ1.481 msÂÂ1.251 msÂÂ1.247 ms
    5ÂÂsonera.ficix2-ge.ficix.fi (193.110.224.34)ÂÂ1.481 msÂÂ1.560 msÂÂ1.479 ms
    6ÂÂ141.208.23.93 (141.208.23.93)ÂÂ1.742 msÂÂ1.811 msÂÂ1.733 ms
    7ÂÂ141.208.23.94 (141.208.23.94)ÂÂ1.739 msÂÂ1.567 msÂÂ1.733 ms
    8ÂÂ* * *

9. exangel

United States
    If your dad does things like stream video, even just on youtube, that could be one cause.

I don't understand how lowering your battery consumption is affecting your latency except perhaps through less heat generation from your graphics device and processor. Excessive heat can effect your wireless performance, I had to return an USB wireless stick because it overheated (and failed) every time I tried to use it at consistent maximum speed.

Since I can't resolve a hostname for 141.208.23.94 it would take a couple more steps for me to find out why your ping times out after it reaches that. Is 88.193.182.18 really the IP for the WoW server you're connecting to and experiencing lag on? Have you tried making a character on a different server and experience the same lag?

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Also, your Packet Loss is really bad, does your father also use a Wireless connection when he is on the internet? Can you perform the same pingtest from his computer?

10. Theraima
    OP

Finland
    My father uses wireless and cable connection on his computer. Also yes, I can go and do pingtest on his computer.

P.S In Battlefield Heroes, I get a ingame error always when playing, "there is a problem with your connection" even though my internet connection is just perfect! Can anyone help me with this?

EDIT : @ exangel

Im on my dads computer and its using cable connection

[​IMG]