Hardware Laptops for school use

pspunabletohack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hello,

at 14 september I'm starting an education ICT/Multimedia.
And I need a laptop and I wanted some advice. I let my eye fall on this one: LENOVO THINKPAD EDGE 20DF0054MB (sorry it's in dutch) but do you guys think this is a good laptop? My budget is around a maxmimum of 550 euros.

Thanks in advance :)

Deleted member 370671

Ball of Kawaiiness
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Well, that depends on what you will do with it.
If it's only for school, then it will be more than enough.
If you want to use it for anything else (gaming, photo/video editing and other ressource consuming tasks), you can forget about it now.
The only thing is, I think it's a little bit overpriced because of the i5. If you will only use it for school, I would recommend something like this one : http://www.amazon.fr/Asus-A552WA-SX154H-Portable-Windows-gratuite/dp/B0105LEOPA/ ; more RAM, more storage, and a hundred euros cheaper. The CPU is not that great, but it will be enough for basic tasks.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
You shouldn't sell the Intel HD 5500 (Broadwell) graphics so short. For casual gaming, playing 4K videos, and small scale editing tasks, it's enough. Sure it loses out to even the nVidia 820M (it's on par with the 540M) in terms of performance, but the 820M is a discreet GPU whilst the Intel is an IGP.

The AMD A4 CPU in the Asus laptop will have worse performance in general tasks, but the integrated graphics are significantly better, allowing it to fare better with modest games. Still can't play any heavy games like BF, CoD and AC4. As mentioned, the choice is dependant on what the OP will do with it, but when it comes to pure school/homework, any current-market laptop will work well.

q9p

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you provide what you are looking into with a laptop, I can suggest you something in your price range. It truly depends on what you are wanting to get out of a laptop.

pspunabletohack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well, to be honest I looked around some more and found out that it seems to be a good choice to go for a full hd screen. And ofcourse it's always handy that the laptop has some more power.. for future use.. I mean if the laptop gets older that it doesn't become slow in terms of computer hardware. And you never know if I want to use it for editing video's or so later on.. I thought of this one LENOVO IDEAPAD Z50-70 what do you guys think? I know it's a bit above my budget but yeah again maybe it's better to buy a good one from the start :)

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, to be honest I looked around some more and found out that it seems to be a good choice to go for a full hd screen. And ofcourse it's always handy that the laptop has some more power.. for future use.. I mean if the laptop gets older that it doesn't become slow in terms of computer hardware. And you never know if I want to use it for editing video's or so later on.. I thought of this one LENOVO IDEAPAD Z50-70 what do you guys think? I know it's a bit above my budget but yeah again maybe it's better to buy a good one from the start :)
Azerty... Argh...
It looks nice, I would go with that last one just looking it's Full-HD.
It's a PITA to work on 1366x768.

jDSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any lenovo Z, X or Y series laptops are good even for modest gaming and actually they seem fine for that kind of thing.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I've had to fix/clean a few laptops in AZERTY format whilst in France before... in French... it's so weird...

OT: Choosing a laptop with a graphics chip definitely makes it more versatile, allowing you to do more stuff with it. That Lenovo is good.

Jaggent360

GBATemps very own Punished "Venom" Snake
Trophies
XP
Country
if u are at about 799eur get a y50 i5 version with a 960M. for about 500eur get a HP probook 430 G2 with an i5 5500U ang then upgrade to 8gb ram. i have this one for school from school for free. can play warframe at 60fps low-mesd settings

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-