Laptop Repair Estimate

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by monkat, Jun 19, 2010.

Jun 19, 2010

Laptop Repair Estimate by monkat at 8:48 PM (715 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. monkat
    OP

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    So, long story short, I need to get my laptop's power jack replaced and my warranty ran out...actually three days ago. (I'm not saying it is the manufacturer's fault, it's mine, but still: a sucky situation).

Anyway, I don't have a soldering iron or the willingness to learn how to use it properly, so I'm going to take it into a local repair shop.

Can anyone give me a quick estimate on how much they think it might cost? The jack itself will cost, at most, like $7, so there you go [​IMG]

2. Theraima

Member Theraima I own this desert, bitches!

Finland
    Well it depends on your country & store. My dad took my laptop to repair the battery and fan. It was 30€ for each. It isnt actually very much [​IMG]

3. monkat
    OP

United States
    Meh....I'm seeing most places say it's about $120...that's not an easy thing to afford....I hope you're more accurate, Theraima xD

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    By power jack, do you mean the AC adaptor (aka power brick)? If so, then you shouldn't look at a price higher than $30, prolly 20. If it's the actual PSU for the laptop, then it can be upwards of $60.

5. monkat
    OP

United States
    The PSU....the only shop that was still open that I know of wanted to charge me nearly $200 for a fix. He was explaining how he had to open it up and it would take days of hard work, and bla bla bla. I can open my laptop up and (if I could unsolder) take the thing out myself in about an hour. Unfortunately, I don't have a soldering iron, and my only experience with one was an electronics section of a class five years ago.

I'm not paying him 100-200 dollars an hour for that.

6. foxgrey

Member foxgrey GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If its just the power jack, as in the actaul plug. Look on craigslist. There are plenty of talented peeps that solder up mod chips, and do basic repairs for very reasonable prices. Most of them would even do it right in front of you.