Laptop Recomendation

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Senbonzaku101, Dec 23, 2009.

Dec 23, 2009

Laptop Recomendation by Senbonzaku101 at 8:49 AM (779 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Senbonzaku101
    OP

Member Senbonzaku101 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm looking for laptop suggestions that can do the following:

CPU+RAM Capable of Running (Firefox+Documents simultaneously):
    Browse Internet (Latest Firefox)
    Handle Documents (Open/Microsoft Office run at reasonable speed)
    Play videos (Windows Media Player 11)

~80-100GB HDD
    ~64-128MB VRAM
    B+G Wireless Card
    Optical Drive OR PC Recovery through Boot Menu
    At least 1 USB Port
    VGA/S-Video Connection
    SD-Card Reader (Preffered, but Optional)

As far as OS is concerned I wish to run Windows XP Professional at the least, may dual-boot with Linux. Mostly be used when away from home or when desktop isn't available, so economical screen size. (My thought was 12-14") Weight, battery life more than 4 hours, bluetooth capabilities, webcams, or most other frills are not issues.

I'm looking to spend anywhere from 250-350 USD, refurbished or new.

I know you all will not be extensively researching any of these factors to tailor to my specifications, but any input towards a laptop would be greatly appreciated as I've got a lot of other pressing issues on my plate. Thank you to anyone who answers, and I hope to work with you all to find a laptop that suits my needs.

2. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Within your price range you will probably end up with a netbook. Which of those you want you have to check for yourself.

If I apply the EURO=US DOLLAR rule you might also get a 'normal' laptop at the top of your price range but that would have a bigger screen (say 15,4 inch). Aside from that, if you want small and portable, there are very nice laptops out there but they are more expensive (around the 500-600 mark, still only carrying an IGP though).

3. Senbonzaku101
    OP

United States
    Size wouldn't really be a problem, as long as it had good enough specifications. I think I have seen a few refurbished laptops around 350 USD. I always hear netbooks are just that, for the internet and very light projects, so I'm hoping that you all know some that don't fit that stereotype too roughly.

4. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    A netbook would actually suit most of those requirements. Some of them are also able to decode 720p and 1080p h.264 video, as they have a dedicated chip to do it via hardware. The only downside may be the screen size. Most would be around 10.1" or so.

5. Senbonzaku101
    OP

United States
    That sounds good, I never thought it'd be capable of HD video. I think that as long as the netbook is upgradeable (RAM/CPU wise so as not to become obsolete) and has a reasonable HDD size, I'd be fine with it. Are there any netbook recommendations?

Edit: I'm seeing a bunch of 200 USD deals on Ebay. The only concern I have is the low VRAM specs. How well does shared RAM work with video?

6. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    There are, afaik, no netbooks capable of CPU upgradability. Generally speaking updating a laptop's CPU is a no go (even when it is possible, laptop CPUs aren't generally sold to the general public much and are thus relativly quite expensive). As for a laptop / netbook suggestion thread, I think one is going on right now in this topic [​IMG].