GoldenBullet

That One Guy
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have this laptop that has been sitting in the corner because it started crashing from overheating of some sort. I thought it was the usual cpu or gpu but when I tested the thermals, they never reached 90c before it crashed. I know it is overheating because it only crashes when under heavy load (in a laptop sense), and removing the bottom plate extends its use under load. (Laptop cooler and no bottom plate helps tons)

I have a theory that it may be the ram because having only one stick results in the laptop lasting longer under load but it does still crash at some point. I have not exchanged the sticks for new ones but I have tested both individually. Ever since the crashing, the laptop had only been used for zoom meetings and it never crashes under that use case. It has been a while since I've turned this laptop on at this point but I think I remember that it does not bluescreen. Audio crackles and thats when you know when it is about to crash

I don't have any real use for the laptop anymore as I have upgraded but I would love to turn it into a DIY project for an emulation machine or something like that as it is decently capable. If you have any suggestions, please let me know and I'll see what I can do!

Last edited by GoldenBullet,

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having a single stick of RAM doesn't really cause crashing. Clean out the laptop.
Its not that having one stick of ram causes the crashing. Usually it has 2 sticks of ram but when I was troubleshooting, I left them in individually and found that having a single one in resulted in the laptop staying on longer under load.

The only cleaning I've attempted was taking off the backplate and using compressed air to take out dust. I have yet to do things like repaste the cpu and gpu but I have little reason to suspect them rn

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Install a SSD you will save some degrees for sure. You don<t need a big one. And use a HUUUGE fan to have good airflow around the computer. It reminds me of the good old dayz when i Used to put ice in my computer to keep it cool... Ah nostalgia and the way our brains embellishes the past. The new chipsets are just AMAZING... old computers are :shit:.​

Reactions: GoldenBullet

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should replace the thermal paste for the CPU it is probably dry out by now, Arctic MX4 would be a good choice. A cooling pad would be a good idea, but the thermal paste is more important, As for the computer would crash if you use up all the available memory you can use, so for example if you only have 8GB and you probably crash if you don't have a page file setup if you use up more than available memory. Don't think there is anything wrong with your RAM if there is anything wrong it won't even boot. In power options having the system cooling policy on active would help you more than having it on passive.

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Install a SSD you will save some degrees for sure. You don<t need a big one. And use a HUUUGE fan to have good airflow around the computer. It reminds me of the good old dayz when i Used to put ice in my computer to keep it cool... Ah nostalgia and the way our brains embellishes the past. The new chipsets are just AMAZING... old computers are :shit:.​
I do remember resorting to using ice packs while playing games when it started overheating. The laptop is not super old. I think it’s got a 6700hq and 960m which was good enough for almost all the wii games I tested on it. I might have burnt out the cpu with all of the video editing I did on it though.
You should replace the thermal paste for the CPU it is probably dry out by now, Arctic MX4 would be a good choice. A cooling pad would be a good idea, but the thermal paste is more important, As for the computer would crash if you use up all the available memory you can use, so for example if you only have 8GB and you probably crash if you don't have a page file setup if you use up more than available memory. Don't think there is anything wrong with your RAM if there is anything wrong it won't even boot. In power options having the system cooling policy on active would help you more than having it on passive.
I don’t think there is any problems with the ram itself except that it gets too hot (my theory). I’ll definitely try out repasting the cpu and gpu. I have done everything software related that could reduce heat.

This question is in hopes that I do end up fixing the crashing issue: How easy is it to move all of the laptop internals into a new enclosure kinda like a mini pc? I've seen YouTube videos but they all do custom woodworking and that kind of stuff.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do remember resorting to using ice packs while playing games when it started overheating. The laptop is not super old. I think it’s got a 6700hq and 960m which was good enough for almost all the wii games I tested on it. I might have burnt out the cpu with all of the video editing I did on it though.

I don’t think there is any problems with the ram itself except that it gets too hot (my theory). I’ll definitely try out repasting the cpu and gpu. I have done everything software related that could reduce heat.

This question is in hopes that I do end up fixing the crashing issue: How easy is it to move all of the laptop internals into a new enclosure kinda like a mini pc? I've seen YouTube videos but they all do custom woodworking and that kind of stuff.

How long you had the computer? If you haven't changed the thermal paste and it been on stock that would explain the heating problem, stock thermal paste they use tends to be suck, software wise you can't do much about cooling beside adjusting the the cooling policy and adjusting the fan speed with software like Almico's Speedfan. I never used it so I can't validate if it work well. I think ultimately it still come down to the CPU and GPU thermal paste, an cooling pad with like four fan would be ideal.

As for like putting a computer in like a wooden desk, you would want to stick desktop part, as it is easier to mount, never seen anyone put laptop without the actual shell in a wood desk. If you really wants something small you can look into nuc form factor or really small form factor computer like lenovo/dell small form factor.

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How long you had the computer? If you haven't changed the thermal paste and it been on stock that would explain the heating problem, stock thermal paste they use tends to be suck, software wise you can't do much about cooling beside adjusting the the cooling policy and adjusting the fan speed with software like Almico's Speedfan. I never used it so I can't validate if it work well. I think ultimately it still come down to the CPU and GPU thermal paste, an cooling pad with like four fan would be ideal.

As for like putting a computer in like a wooden desk, you would want to stick desktop part, as it is easier to mount, never seen anyone put laptop without the actual shell in a wood desk. If you really wants something small you can look into nuc form factor or really small form factor computer like lenovo/dell small form factor.
It's a Inspiron 15 7559 and I've had it for about 4-5 years. It did a lot of heavy video editing and rendering before it seemed to start "dying". I've tried speedfan before with my current laptop and it failed to control the fans. I plan on trying to do a teardown today if I can find the power cord haha

Oh, I'm planning on putting it under a tv and using something like retroarch/bigpicture interface to make it act like a kind of console. I really don't need this laptop, just thought it would be a cool project to start the summer

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: So I found my powercord and turned on the laptop for the first time in a while (typing this on it)

I remember why I never suspected the cpu or gpu. I just tried running Heaven Benchmark and the temps have stayed at around 65c with a high of 75c.

This actually was not enough to crash the laptop even though I was running at 1440p at ultra (probably would have if I kept it running but I am impatient) so I started up minecraft with it in the background and sure enough it soon crashed. And when I say crashed, I mean it just powers off (no BSOD).

Event Viewer just reports that the system powered off unexpectedly (70368744177664) with some reports of cpu throttling.

I have a laptop cooler and I am using it with the bottom plate off (honestly can't find it atm).

Thank you so much for all your guy's help so far, I really appreciate it! Though problem still persists

Last edited by GoldenBullet,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1