Language learning thread

Kanakops

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I would love to learn japanese and in fact I already tried but the thing is : I don't have a plan to follow. It's not like school where I have an introduction and i'm getting homework,test, exams for being sure i'm getting the required level to continue. When I self study on internet it's the wild west, i'm getting x textbook, i'm following x concept and because I don't have a lot of practice I eventually forget everything.

I almost completed the first "JapaneseFromZero" textbook but I also forgot almost everything.

I was considering getting in a real japanese school on my vacations but because of the covid, my plans changed and I will continue to struggle with self study.

Anyway when I will go to cegep I will try to pick spanish if possible, I would love to talk to my hispanics friends in their own language.

And for english.. Heh, i'm already forced to learn it at school and even if my level is pretty much garbage, I can communicate and it's good enough for me. Of course, i'm trying to improve but it's not my main objective.

Last edited by Kanakops,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

ihaveawindows

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I speak 4 languages:
English
Indonesian
Sundanese (NOT SUDAN, it's SUNDA)
and French (still learning)

Also, I use Busuu since I can't have offline classes (there are many offline classes but it's pricy as heck. Check my blog post.)
What do you use for online language studies?

nb: Sundanese is a regional language spoken in West Java and West Jakarta. With over 13.400 islands, we have over 700 languages across the Indonesian archipelago, e.g. Betawi (Language of Jakarta) Sundanese (Language of West Java) Javanese (Central and East Java AND Yogyakarta) Madurese (Language of Madura) Balinese (Language of Bali) and Acehnese (Language of Aceh) just to name a few. Also, did you know that if you travel to South Sulawesi, the language there changes every 800 meters? (now, now, imperial system, we love you, but we don't think that we love you much)

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I've tried learning Japanese but I've never gotten past hiragana. I think my English is pretty good. I once took a test from Cambridge University and got a "C1 or higher". Despite that, I often feel that I'm fossilizing.

Last edited by dAVID_,

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Japanese in Duolingo currently- just started
Hirigana at the moment. I wonder how long it’ll take-

Hmm
My English is better than I’ll ever need it to be I’d say- I meet adults frequently who’s primary language was English and they seem to only know half as much as I do about it-
I’m also the best English speller I know. I’ve always wondered why people struggled so much at spelling. But either way- I’ve always loved the idea of teaching adults English who primarily speak another language :3
(Although I assume spelling is much different in other languages because English is a damn mess of... pretty much other languages and then added a few of its own things and rules that don’t make sense sometimes)

JaNDeRPeiCH

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Since kid videogames help me to understand english,talking in english its the barrier frontier for me because my accent its not perfect usa or british. In fact honestly im very comfort writing,im very awkard&shy talking in english.

Other resources to learn when i was living for 6 months in San Francisco was watching dvd and magazines comics improve a lot some words&meanings in english,

Also i visit websites everyday to read like arstechnica,kotaku,neogaf,torrentfreak,obscurehandheld,xda developers,gizchina,gbatemp,nintendo wire,siliconera,liliputing,droidgamers,engadget and reddit.

I read some of the comments and the articles every time i visit those sites.

Last edited by JaNDeRPeiCH,

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Japanese because eh, I work in Japan and need to improve my keigo and Japanese technical jargon.
My main learning method is just using it in everyday life though.

Last edited by Minox,

boot3

Internet trash
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been getting into learning Japanese using Duolingo. Really just because I love Japan, and I'm planning to go there in a few years.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

Deleted member 545975

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, and good day! I am currently most invested on learning Japanese language, mainly by using the web dictionary offered by the web site that the next hyperlink leads at:
https://jisho.org/

I sometimes using Google Translate for broad hints of text in, too.

And chatting in the IRC channel named as ##japanese, on the IRC network named as Libera Chat!

I approach learning at, by looking on a dictionary words I spontaneously encounter and differ from being conscious of their meaning: So is serving me good on my learning path towards, I consider, so far!

I intend on learning various other languages afterwards; along them, Korean too: For, I have began by studying Hangul, mainly using the images that the two next hyperlinks leads to; this one, for a general hint of how its featural alphabet is composed:
https://i.imgur.com/HFVKQUp.jpg

And the next image, for rules of, in more detail:
https://i.imgur.com/PR4Krwg.jpg

Reactions: Mama Looigi

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
English. Learning through online gaming, chatting with people and Forumdiscussion. Reading books in English. Because im interested in IT Knowledge, the main sources for information are English.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1